Thread: My personal success story page

RMagic is offline Junior Member

My personal success story

Shop Now
    Hello.

I have never posted here before, though I've been a lurker without an account for a while and a fan of Mark's blog since I began my primal journey. I was referred to the paleo lifestyle from a very, very skinny friend who had managed to lose 40 pounds by following the primal blueprint, so I decided to give it a try.

I've struggled with weight all my life -- I'm currently 20 years old, and three years ago I weighed 280 pounds with a height of 5'8". That's obviously not healthy; I was holding about a 42-46 inch waist and was generally unhappy. I can't blame my weight gain on eating what normal people consider healthy -- I just ate too much of everything, particularly the processed foods that come in boxes and are high in virtually every anti-nutrient possible.

So, I decided to change this. When I was 18 and just about to graduate from high school, I went on what was essentially a starvation diet, holding myself to 1,000 to 1,200 calories per day and consuming a large amount of whole grains and low fat foods. In a normal primal success story, I'd probably comment on how that failed.

It worked. I lost 80 pounds.

Then I gained more than half of it back, because eating that low of an amount of calories for an 18-20 year old is neither sustainable nor healthy. That's when my primal journey began.

Last July, I cut grains, legumes, and the rest of the culprits we all know and love completely and began a moderate-fat, high-protein diet and learned to like a lot of vegetables that were previously unpalatable to me. (It helps when, in a paleo framework, adding bacon to your brussels sprouts is technically healthy.) Two months later, I'm at 198 pounds (~32 inch waist or so), the lowest weight I've been at since the age of 15 or 16. I feel healthier, happier, and ready to take the next step in building a healthier body and mind.

I'm posting this here because reading success stories and other literature on these types of websites is what helped motivate me and kept me going -- the primal community is seriously one of the best on the internet. The number of resources available is astounding as opposed to "fad diets" that are essentially created to make money for someone who wrote a book or speaks on talk shows. This is incredibly valuable and, IMO, the reason why the internet should exist. I wanted the community to know that someone, even if it's just me, appreciates these resources and stories. It definitely makes the strange looks I get for buying a lot of bacon and eating beef patties without hamburger buns, or passing over fresh sweet corn, more worth it.

I hope to post more often and get to know some of you more in the future, as my primal journey is by no means done.

Unixmonkey is offline Junior Member
    I agree. Stories like these are a huge motivator! I'm glad you could share yours. Without seeing the evidence & hearing the testimony, the leap of faith is just too grand for most. Take the red pill, and you'll wake up tomorrow, believing whatever you want to believe. Take the blue pill, and I'll show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes...

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Your story is inspiring as are many others here. Thanks for posting it.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

mikeyt is offline Senior Member
    awesome story, great work.

datto54 is offline Member
    thanks for sharing! its stories like yours that keep me on the bandwagon when my weightloss is stalled, and remotivate me when i fall off the primal wagon. eventually I will get these last 20 pounds off. thanks!

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Wow its so good to hear that young people come to their sense and get such great results! I wish I had started earlier, I have spent my entire 20's battling weight (up and down 20-30 pounds). I wish you all the best in the rest of your journey!

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    RMagic-your story IS inspiring, and it's great to hear a young adult who gets it so early in life. How I wish I had known the secret to health and weight control 26 years ago.

Grok on!
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

jacklavoro is offline Junior Member
    This is a very good story, you were right to tell your story, we hope to continue like this!