Thread: Alternative to coconut? page

sigil5 is offline Junior Member

Alternative to coconut?

Primal Fuel
    For some reason I get weird heart palpitations when I eat coconut. I'm not so bad with dessicated coconut but coconut oil/milk is probably out of the question.

I use walnut oil for an alternative which is great for most coconut oil recipes but I don't know what to replace the milk with. Any ideas?

I know how to make my own almond milk, but I think it might be too expensive and too time consuming plus I'm not sure how long it will keep for - probably not worth it as I don't often eat breakfast.

Is there anything I can buy that will be a good alternative?

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Just eat a steak.

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigil5 View Post
    For some reason I get weird heart palpitations when I eat coconut. I'm not so bad with dessicated coconut but coconut oil/milk is probably out of the question.

I use walnut oil for an alternative which is great for most coconut oil recipes but I don't know what to replace the milk with. Any ideas?

I know how to make my own almond milk, but I think it might be too expensive and too time consuming plus I'm not sure how long it will keep for - probably not worth it as I don't often eat breakfast.

Is there anything I can buy that will be a good alternative?
    Yes, palm kernel oil is very healthy. Olive oil and macadamia oil are also pretty good.

Thanks, I eat plenty of steak - but I've recently bought primal blueprint cookbook and a lot of the recipes call for coconut milk, and I wondered if there was a type of milk I could have instead - something I could buy rather than make. I'm just using water at the moment.

Hunt3R is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigil5 View Post
    I would look into the cause of the heart palpitations. Coconut itself is not causing this directly but it is instead a sign of some underlying condition. It could be a release of toxins from a die-off in your gut when you eat coconut because the fat has antimicrobial properties. That's just one possibility though and I've seen a few people make this same complaint in the comments of multiple articles on the Perfect Health Diet website, but unfortunately the search functionality of their website is not very good so you'll prolly have to do a lot of reading and searching on your own to find them.

walnut is offline Member
    the mcts in the coconut oil are probably causing the racing heart.

Re milk substitute~try the blue diamond unsweetened almond milk if you dont want to make your own.

I prefer to make my own almond milk in the bullet blender. I like my own water better than some unknown municipal water source that goes into the storebought stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by walnut View Post
    the mcts in the coconut oil are probably causing the racing heart.

Re milk substitute~try the blue diamond unsweetened almond milk if you dont want to make your own.

I prefer to make my own almond milk in the bullet blender. I like my own water better than some unknown municipal water source that goes into the storebought stuff....
    I don't really get a racing heart - more like a single weird beat like I've been frightened by something straight after I've eaten it. It can last up until I stop using it. I will be seeing a doctor about it but I suspect the answer will be just to avoid the coconut milk/oil. Funnily enough I get the same reaction from drinking an electrolyte drink, so I'm wondering if its the potassium and a disturbance in electrical signals in my heart.

In any case the only almond milk I can find over in the uk is sweetened with agave syrup and I'm not too happy about drinking that. I'll probably end up making my own one day or just carry on using water.

dado Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    there are NO ALTERNATIVES to the COCONUT!