Thread: ADD - Anyone have kids with ADD doing gluten-free page

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

ADD - Anyone have kids with ADD doing gluten-free

Primal Fuel
    Just wondering if anyone has kids with ADD doing gluten free. My nephew was just diagnosed recently.

dado Guest
    did they throw him on the kiddie coke?

freqz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has kids with ADD doing gluten free. My nephew was just diagnosed recently.
    Yes.

Kindergarten was a nightmare for our now 3rd grader. He was ADD, overly defiant, (irrationally) scared of bugs, refused to learn to read, refused to play sports where any form of cooperation was involved, and was just generally a pain in the ass. We tried counselors and Ritalin. The Ritalin took the edge off but our smart, curious little boy was a zombie. The therapists just wanted to drug him up more. We knew we had to find something else-- he was on the verge of getting kicked out of school (at 6 years old!)

Through some fluke, Mrs. Freqz found a doctor in Dallas that had him tested for allergies. He came back positive for gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, and honey and the Dr. recommended that we immediately take those things from his diet. So we did (over his protests).

All of it gone immediately.

The change was nearly instantaneous-- a new kid.

He's hardly been to the office in the last two years and can now manage without Ritalin. He played basketball last year, reads 3 or 4 levels above his grade, and is now generally well liked by all of the teachers up at the school (if he is a bit of a goofball like his Dad). It literally saved his life.

I don't know the science behind this stuff, but our little n=1 study says it's at least worth a try.

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    I'm an adult with (very recently diagnosed) ADD. But even given my recent diagnosis, I have noticed that my inattentive ADD (and my mood issues in general) have improved vastly since I've been off the grains and sugar.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

walnut is offline Member
    kindof related because some people put ADD on the mild end of the autism spectrum, but i have a son with aspergers who has been off of gluten, dairy, soy, corn and artificials since he was 4 and it makes a world of difference for him.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have ADHD and so does my son. He's 20, though, and trying to get a 20-year-old to eat what mom says is just pointless. I did get him to start taking a multi-vitamin every day, and he has actually been keeping up with it. That seemed to help somewhat.

As far as my ADHD, I've been eating Primal for about 4 months now, and I find it much easier to focus. My moods are a lot more stable and I'm not quite so impulsive.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thanks everyone. I'm sure doc will want to medicate him but still early days so I want to get in with advice before.