Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Veritable Quandary page

Libre27 is offline Senior Member

Veritable Quandary

Shop Now
    I have reached a point of complete frustration trying to stick to a primal lifestyle. For years I have battled severe candida related skin issues among other health concerns evolving from consumption of sugars, grains, processed foods, etc. The longest sustained primal period in my life was about 3-4 months long 2 years ago. My entire body was breaking out with psoriasis, and I was determined to fix the issue. I eventually fell off the wagon once my psoriasis cleared and have been trying to get back on ever since. I eat perfectly for a few days followed by overwhelming desires for sugar and processed foods (binge eating ensues). My acne is ever present at 29 years old, energy levels are poor, I have persistent depression and anxiety, etc. I find that the only solution is to never be close to non-primal foods - an impossible task. I'm still wondering how I can find a primal girlfriend, so I can at least date someone who understands the issue with shit food.

All that said, I'm hoping this online journal could spawn a sense of accountability to help me resist the urges that are breaking me down inside. If you're reading, thank you for the support. If nobody ever reads this, hopefully it will at least help me in some way. I love this website and what it stands for.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you could post a few days of your diet so we can take a look and see if there is something you could do to reduce your cravings? For me, I find compliance easiest when I keep my fat intake quite high (greater than 50-60%) of my total intake - I've been primal for about a year with no sustained lapses. Some people find that keeping protein pretty high works better for them. There is a "leptin reset" method that many people on this forum are using right now and some seem to be having success eliminating cravings using this method. I haven't tried it - only seen it around here.

I have also struggled with abysmal energy levels for many, many years - primal helps immensely, but there are a couple of other key things for me:

1. Get vitamin D levels checked and supplement up to mid normal range. This was very important for me.

2. Get adequate Mg. Many food is depleted of Mg today. Magnesium deficiency can cause fatigue and anxiety as well as poor sleep. I used Mg oil on my skin, many people here like Natural Calm brand before bed.

3. Don't fall in to the trap of only eating muscle meat. I eat bone marrow, bone broths, and liver weekly. I can tell a difference very quickly when I don't do these things.

Don't worry too much about finding people who understand. The important thing in my opinion is to find a way of eating that makes you feel satisfied you are not tempted (too much by non-primal foods.

You'll figure it out. Just keep on trying and you'll get it

Awesome response. Thank you jammies. It's amazing how motivating it is to get a response. Hopefully today's a new day of figuring these issues out. I'll start posting my consumption.

Do you track your caloric intake to ensure that you have >50% fat? I don't enjoy tracking intake, but I know it might be necessary to get my diet right.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I hate tracking as well and I don't really do it. Every once in a while I enter my foods in to fitday to see me percentages. However, very early on I found that when I ate higher fat I felt better. Putting in a couple days of food, I figured out that over 50% made my cravings go away.

That being said, I don't count carbs either. I focus more on my food choices than macros. My diet is just sort of centered around meats, veggies, and fats. I eat fruit, nuts, and chocolate - but they are just add-ons...not the center.

I think it is great to start with the basics for a while and then start tweaking things if you aren't having success. Good luck!

Okay, here goes....

Day 1:
    Lunch: chicken avocado sandwich (minus the bun) with pico de gallo and broccoli
    Snack: small pack of smoked almonds
    Dinner: Mixed grill seafood plate (scallops, shrimp, grouper) with broccoli
    Extra-curricular: vodka tonic, two shots tequila
    Late night snack: veggie chips

All in all not a terrible day, but I certainly could have done without the alcohol and veggie chips.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I don't really see any fat at all there. Just a tiny bit with the almonds and avocado, but seriously WAY too low on fat.

And low on FOOD for that matter. If this is a typical day, you're probably hungry.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

That wasn't anywhere close to a typical day. I was on the road all day traveling for Labor Day weekend. This morning I ate 6 eggs, 8 sausage, 1 apple, and a cup of decaf all before noon.

anjelevil is offline Senior Member
    Hi Libre 27..so sorry to hear about your struggle with sugar..it is such an awful affliction to have to deal with..for me and my issues with the demon sugar,eating no fruit is the only thing that works..I also agree with jammies..up the level of fat and protein and this should really help with the cravings..I am 5 days in and my cravings are not really there..today is just the exhaustion thing but this will pass..from what I have been reading it can take a really long time to get your body back to not craving these things..3-4 months may have been you just on the cusp..if you are needing a sugar support buddy,I am here

Thanks for the support anjelevil. I need to eliminate fruit...hard to do when there is often an apple, peach, or some other delicious fruit laying around the house. Nonetheless I know I need to avoid it with my candida issues.

I am currently on vacation, so yesterday wasn't the proudest primal day, but I at least avoided indulging in Hampton Inn's sugar-laden breakfast bar items knowing that I would be embarrassed to post it to my journal later.

Breakfast: 6 eggs, 8 sausage, 1 apple, cup of decaf (could have easily eaten twice that)

Snacked on roasted/salted mixed nuts and dried wasabi peas throughout the day (probably had about 7 handfuls of mixed nuts)

Dinner: 11 large grilled scallops, broccoli, oysters rockefeller. Avoiding the garlic bread that accompanied my plate was virtually impossible - I kept staring at it after finishing my scallops and broccoli, and I almost gave in to the power of the carbs. Somehow I managed to resist.

Extra-curricular: Way more alcohol than I'd like to admit but fortunately it was only accompanied by club soda (no sugary concoctions). The alcohol consumption is of course one of the worst things I can do for candida. I drink rarely but when I do, I drink way too much.

Day 3

Breakfast: 5 eggs, 2 sausage, 1 orange

Snack: California Whopper from Burger King with no bun (small beef patty with avocado and lettuce). I saw the billboard and couldn't resist trying this thing out.

Snack: 10 roasted, salted pecan halves

Lunch: Southern buffet. I didn't mean to end up in this place. It was in a gas station on the highway (terrible huh?). I was hoping they would have liver - they did not but one look at the collard greens sucked me in. I had two servings of collard greens, two servings cooked cabbage, a little bit of slaw, cucumber salad, 1 small slice of pork, and two pieces of fried chicken. I could have eaten the fried chicken without the breading and made this meal pretty decent, but I failed. Oh well, at least I avoided the all powerful banana pudding.

Snack: thick sliced ham, peach, handful of almonds, several spoons of crunchy organic peanut butter

Dinner: 3 handfuls of grapes, homemade slaw with minimal dressing, sweet potato skin, a few ounces of halibut and swordfish

Way too much fruit consumed today, but I think I'll get on track tomorrow. I have the most trouble eating well when I'm away from home.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast