Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee . . . does it make you more hungry, lethargic or anxious page

Coffee . . . does it make you more hungry, lethargic or anxious

I am just starting to eat Primal. I am a coffee addict - I've tried many times to quite and always come back to it. I have seen several people who are primal and still drink coffee, including Mark.

I have noticed that after I drink coffee I feel more hungry throughout the day. I feel more lethargic at night and anxious throughout the day. I was eating the SAD all the times I noticed this, so I'm not sure if it was from the grains and artificial sweeteners or the coffee. I was just curious if others have noticed this from coffee? I don't drink it to wake up like some, I love how it tastes with cream and sugar - I cannot drink it black.

Thanks!
    My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

primalfamily is offline Member
    sounds like you are getting your sugar fix with your coffee. I can't say too much, as I used to drink it with sweetner an cream as well. I would avoid coffee until you are well into primal for 2-3month. then just use cream with your coffee. you will find that you no longer need sweetner for coffee to taste sweet. if you have to add sweetner, use stevia extract. (not stevia in the raw)

for myself, I drank coffee with cream + stevia, then cut out stevia. Whenl I started IF. I started to drink black coffee in the morning, and if I get coffee in my eating window, I will add cream. I can drink it either way now. (actually like the taste of black coffee now)

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I drink it black in the morning during my daily "fasting" window. When it hits my stomach and my gall bladder kicks out bile, I feel part of the hunger effect. But it's really easy to compartmentalize and ignore. Within a few minutes, the sensation is gone and I'm ready to stab my people all morning long. I have more coffee at break time, but it's with food. Then more stabbing, and another break, usually without the coffee since it's easily 12:00 by then. I sleep well, and only have anxiety if I lose focus. But I also walk easily seven miles a day. Meh. Too many factors to list. And yes, I'm at least 95% adherent to Primal living.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Drink it without sugar, don't add any sugar to it at all, see how you fare. With plenty of cream, I ADORE that taste. The caffeine, if I overdo it, hits me pretty hard, so I usually only have about half a cup each morning. I may sometimes have a second one in the afternoon if it's a particularly slow day at work or I ate a starchy meal and I'm feeling sleepy or something.

Drop the sugar, I bet you start drinking a lot less coffee. You will eventually come to like the taste. I used to think my dad was insane drinking coffee without sugar, now I understand he was just too damn manly for that stuff.

I'm currently off dairy (no dairy September! just for kicks) so I'm having it with coconut milk. It's not as good as heavy cream, but you'd be wise to implement that switch too (but save that for later down the road, work on the sugar first) coconut milk is great to lose more body fat, while some argue cream/dairy in general may negatively impact fat loss.

hw1178 is offline Member
    Yes.

I finally had to give up coffee, even though I love it. I would often drink several cups in the morning on my days off and I would end up wanting to eat everything in sight all day long because of how hungry it made me. When I don't drink it at all, I don't have that issue. I was drinking it with half and half or heavy cream, no sugar.

I was using Stevia in the raw, but I think that made my acne worse. I only drink about 6 - 8 oz a day in the morning. As much as I don't want to give it up, I think I will need to. I ate so well all day, 100% Primal but was still feeling 'hungry'. It wasn't true hunger, I could tell it was more in my mind. I guess I will follow primalfamily's advice and maybe bring it back after a few months.

Thanks!
    My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I love coffee, but can't have it - the caffeine hit gives me migraines, and even the decaf version gives me a far too loose tummy. I never got jittery on it unless I totally overdid it 6 cups a day or so.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Not me - tea makes me hungry the rest of the day but coffee ( black or with cream) does not.

dmc
    dmc is offline Senior Member
    Stopping coffee was a good thing for me. A lot less anxiety and I sleep a lot better. I had a cup after about a month and a half of not drinking it and could feel my heart racing.

I drank ALOT of coffee when I quit. If you decide to quit, try to cut back before eliminating completely to mitigate some of the effects of coffee withdraw. I drank half decaf, half regular for awhile, and then slowly reduced the number of cups. Strangely, now I can have a cup once and awhile and I seem okay, but it has been almost a year since I quit.

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It makes me human. Without it, well, not so good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast