Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: How quickly can you react to food? page

  1. #1
    Athanasey's Avatar
    Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    QLD, Australia
    Posts
    226

    How quickly can you react to food?

    Shop Now
    I've been primal for a month now and I'm really happy with it. I've lost weight my allergy symptoms have reduced and my morning cough has disappeared.

    Last night I decided to make wild rice with dinner. When I woke up this morning my nose was running like crazy and that familiar tightness in my chest was back. Next thing I know I'm hacking my lungs out.

    The only new foods I ate yesterday were the wild rice and cashew paste. I'm assuming cashew paste is fairly innocuous.

    Could I really have a reaction to eating rice that quickly, or is it more likely a coincidence?
    Became Primal August 2011

    SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

  2. #2
    Glamorama's Avatar
    Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    OOOOOOO
    Posts
    2,024
    I get sick straight away if I eat cashew paste. I also know people who get very sick from brown rice. The thing they both have in common is phytic acid. You need to soak and rinse the rice first, and if nuts give you grief, stay clear of the cashews. I have leaky gut, so I react very badly to phytic acid, normally within 2 hours.

  3. #3
    dado's Avatar
    dado Guest
    the second it enters my periphery, i'm flipping the switch, i'm after it.

  4. #4
    IvyBlue's Avatar
    IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Seabrook, NH
    Posts
    1,309
    I have watched my friend's lip (severe shellfish allergy) swell in the time it took for the fork to leave her mouth and for her to spit the food out the restaurant had mistakenly served her. Another friend developed a kiwi allergy later in life and was in full anaphylactic shock an hour after she ate a few small pieces. Luckily this happened in front of the ER doors as we pulled up. Scary.

    So, yes.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Twin Cities MN
    Posts
    57
    I feel symptoms within half an hour...and that is for stuff that make my tummy upset....my severe allergies are within seconds

  6. #6
    Nion's Avatar
    Nion is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Westminster BC
    Posts
    1,026
    Depends on your system and how severe the allergy is. If i eat capsicum i immediately feel nauseous. If i eat a big chunk i will hork it back up in no time lol
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

  7. #7
    RitaRose's Avatar
    RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    3,952
    Yeah, I agree. I think it depends on how sensitive you are to that particular substance, how much you eat and whether it's an allergy or just an intolerance.

    I can feel wheat within about half an hour, but chemicals like sulfites etc can take hours to kick in for me.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

  8. #8
    d3monic's Avatar
    d3monic is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Minooka, IL
    Posts
    22
    I have been slowly increasing in my nut allergy. Originally it was just some kinds of peanut butters and I could eat almonds and cashews no problem. Lately I have not been able to eat ANY peanut butters without getting horribly itchy and my throat starting to close off. I had a few scares recently so just gave up on them all together. Peanut butter cookies being the most recent (few months ago). But lately I have been noticing a weird tingly uneasy sensation especially in my face after drinking almond milk and apparently flax milk...maybe coincidence? I don't know. I should probably make a appointment with an allergist to make sure I am not becoming allergic to all nuts. Might as well address these darn seasonal and pet allergies while I am there as well
    "The only thing they can get me for is running a cemetary without a license"-Gacy


  9. #9
    FairyRae's Avatar
    FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,996
    I would think it could be either, although cashews are much more commonly allergenic for most folks. (Rice is one of those foods that is far less likely to be an allergen--although reacting to grains is quite normal after being off for a month--for me it would be more bloat and grogginess though--but we are all different and react uniquely to various foods...)

    l I'd just be very cautious about both in the future, and you absolutely can have a reaction that quickly. If I eat dairy I might get a sore throat in an hour or 2. By the next morning my nose is stuffed up and I may have cold like symptoms.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

    "I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

  10. #10
    FairyRae's Avatar
    FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,996
    Quote Originally Posted by d3monic View Post
    I have been slowly increasing in my nut allergy. Originally it was just some kinds of peanut butters and I could eat almonds and cashews no problem. Lately I have not been able to eat ANY peanut butters without getting horribly itchy and my throat starting to close off. I had a few scares recently so just gave up on them all together. Peanut butter cookies being the most recent (few months ago). But lately I have been noticing a weird tingly uneasy sensation especially in my face after drinking almond milk and apparently flax milk...maybe coincidence? I don't know. I should probably make a appointment with an allergist to make sure I am not becoming allergic to all nuts. Might as well address these darn seasonal and pet allergies while I am there as well
    Scary! Nut allergy can totally be increased by every single exposure. I'd def. talk to an allergist and really try to stay away from nuts for a while. I've known of folks (in allergy groups) who have gone from a mild reaction to a life threatening reaction by the 5th exposure. Crazy stuff...Good luck with this!!!!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

    "I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •