Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Blood Work - Critique Please page

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member

My Blood Work - Critique Please

Shop Now
    I just got my blood work in from the doc. I forgot to ask about A1C/glucose/insulin stuff, but its not that important right now. I wanted to check my lipids and anything that may be related to my depression/low energy/etc. Below are my results. Background - When I was 13-14 I had to go to a Lipid Clinic at the local Children's hospital because I was overweight, prehypertension, and my cholesterol was through the roof. I think my total cholesterol was over 300, my triglycerides were over 200, etc. My blood pressure was consistently 14X/8X. Bad stuff. Last June, I was 310 lbs and decided to lose weight. I got blood work done in August, after losing 30 lbs, and my total and LDL were "normal" but my HDL was a bit low (in the 30s, I think).

Fast forward to today: I'm down 110 lbs, and I've been primal since mid-June 2011. I wanted to see what effect the weight loss as well as my new diet/lifestyle were having. Like I said above, I also wanted to check out my depression. Please help me make sense of this stuff...I can only go off of what the doctor gave me as the normal range. Aaaaanndddd, I have no idea what the Bun/Creatinine is. And could someone touch on my T3 and testosterone? I can't get the doc on the phone til tomorrow, so I'd appreciae some insight from the fine folks at MDA.

Cholesterol: 217 (flagged as high, 0-200)
    Triglycerides: 41 (35-150)
    HDL: 87.9 (flagged as high, 40-70)
    Chol/HDL - 2.47 (<5.6)
    Non-HDL - 129.1 (<160)
    VLDL - 8 (0-40)
    Direct LDL - 89 (0-100)
    Testosterone - 259.96 (low) (262-870)
    Calcium - 10.2 (8.4-10.2)
    Bun - 23 (high, 7-19)
    Creatinine - 1.0 (.8-1.4)
    Bun/Creatinine - 23 (high, 13-21)
    Sodium - 137.1 (126-145)
    Potassium - 5.08 (3.50-5.10)
    TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) - 2.44 (.38-3.30)
    Free T3 - .71 (marked as low, 2.1-3.8)
    Free T4 - .92 (.82-1.63)
    Magnesium, Red Blood Cell - 4.7 (4.0-6.4)

Thanks guys!

CoS
    Just from a quick reading online:

HDL being high is a good thing. Total cholesterol is a dumb measure, so I shouldn't worry about it being a little high. My Testosterone is low, but I'm not sure why or how to fix it. Low T3 may be related to my fatigue and depression (hypothyroidism). Bun-creatinine ration may be related to prerenal azotemia, which means I might be eating too much meat or was just dehydrated. (I was fasting and only had a little bit of water beforehand.)

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Ask Griff via pm to come to this thread
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

CoS
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    Ask Griff via pm to come to this thread
    I sent him a message. Anxiously awaiting a response. I got appointment with my doc on Sept. 13. Not looking forward to it....I want to get this stuff fixed because I don't like being depressed for 9 straight months and I'd actually like to have a little bit of muscle growth and sex drive back....but when I went in for my initial visit last Saturday, I wasn't very impressed with my doctor.

- I asked for C-Reactive Protein test, he asked why. I said because of stress. He said I should exercise more. I told him I exercise hard 6 days a week. He ignored me and moved on. I said, how do you explain me being depressed since January while still working out? He said that sometimes "Satan throws things in our way."
    - He told me to join Campus Crusaders for Christ when I got back to school.
    - He asked if I was sexually active (my sex drive has been non-existent all summer), and I said "not by choice." He then "informed" me that 89% of college freshmen girls have chlamydia and that sperm cells are visible to the human eye.

I'm just going to ask him for testosterone treatment and a referral to an endochronologist to get my pituitary checked out. I read that pituitary problems can affect thyroid and testosterone, and can be caused by a head injury. I landed an ATV on the back of my head when I was 14, which is when my depression started, so I think there may be a connection. I'm also worried they are going to give me Snythroid which treats TSH levels, but mine are fine...its my Free T3 which is low. I need someone here to back me up so I don't get talked into the wrong treatment. Also, pituitary, thyroid, and testosterone may explain why I've been eating at 500-1000 calories below maintenance and not seen any weight loss, while experimenting with keto, IF, and different workout regimens.

CoS
    I really hate to be "that" guy, but can anyone help out at all? I can't put on muscle, my fat loss has stalled, and I'm considering not working out until this gets sorted. Please help.

EDIT - not working out today. Too depressed.
    Last edited by CoS; 09-02-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Your doctor sounds like he is an insane person who also happens to be using his position of authority to push his religious agenda. He also kind of comes off as an idiot.

Bloodwork doesn't tell the whole story. What are you eating? What is your exercise routine? What kind of supplements are you taking? How are you sleeping? There are a million things that could be wrong...

CoS
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Bloodwork doesn't tell the whole story. What are you eating? What is your exercise routine? What kind of supplements are you taking? How are you sleeping? There are a million things that could be wrong...
    Uh...how does bloodwork that indicates low testosterone and low free T3 not tell at least most of the story? I told the rest up above.

I was doing Insanity and P90X over the past year, I've been moving towards 3 days lifting, two days sprint/plyo, two days off. I've been so exhausted this summer that I've actually had to workout less due to lack of energy. I'm eating food: eggs, bacon, pork, chicken, turkey, veggies and a whey and Amazing Grass shake with almond milk in the morning; beef, chicken, salmon, with veggies and olive oil/coconut milk for lunch; salmon, beef, chicken for dinner with veggies. Some berries and apples here and there. Veggies are tomatoes, squash, broccoli, onions, mushrooms, cauliflower, peppers, the usual stuff. I quit dairy a few weeks ago. Before that I didn't drink any milk or eat cheese, just greek yogurt and butter. I've been completely grain free since June. I only drink water, green and white tea a few times a week, and almond milk in my shakes and unsweetened chocolate hot cocoa. In the past month I've started having a cup of coffee (regular or decaf depending on my mood) with one Sweet 'n Low. I didn't drink at college this past year, and I drink alcohol maybe once every two months in moderation. I do not smoke or do drugs. I try to get around 180g protein each day, between 40-80g carbs each day....around 2200-2400 calories. I use to count and track every single day for almost a year, but that got too the point of near addiction...so I started loosening up a bit. Hasn't caused any weight gain, so I don't think that is an issue.

I take Opti-Men multivitamin in the morning with 1g fish oil (just started St.John's Wort), D3 5000 iu and a Super B Complex at night, b12 sublingual preworkout with 5g L-Glutamine, 1000 mg C and 1 g fish oil with 5g l-glut post-workout with a protein shake.

My depression stems from junior high school (got particularly bad in January when I sought counseling.) My depression hasn't changed, nevermind gotten better, with any of these dietary changes. I'm in a constant state of blah. A few highs here and there, but generally bad. I have pseudo-suicidal thoughts (would anyone miss me?) and a general feeling that girls don't find me attractive. I have social anxiety, my voice is weak and cracks when I have to speak to strangers. I can't put on muscle...I've been eating at a deficit all summer and my fat loss has stagnated. I workout and get plenty of protein (BUN levels are even high) and I still just look sickly when I drop weight. I hold my weight on my hips, stomach, and thighs.That is probably the low testosterone.

Earlier in the summer I was sleeping 7-8 hours...always have gotten good sleep. Lately I've been getting a little less, but its restful. I don't wake up in the middle of the night.

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    On your T level....are you lifting heavy? are you sprinting?

The body will produce what is nesasary....so if you have a desk job and don't do much or get out in the sun your body has no reason to have a higher T level

Sorry didn't read it all...just looked at the numbers and started typing.

Dude....I am not seeing much at all here wrong. You seem to be eating what I would consider perfect and supplementation is not too hard core. You lift enough (what type of heavy here, squat, deadlift, snatches?).

With that level of T though that can fuck your shit up on the mental side....that low I am sure you are having depression and the "blah's". I would consider supplementing the T you will feel better and probably get ripped up at the same time.

How old are you?

Your doc is a freak time for another one...it is called being your own advocate and it is very empowering.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast