Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Last Heart Attack - CNN Documentary page

berger6696 is offline Member

The Last Heart Attack - CNN Documentary

Shop Now
    Has this been discussed here? If not, what are your thoughts after watching this?

The Last Heart Attack - CNN

sixpack-rc is offline Senior Member
    Laughing at the ad for the bottomless pasta bowl at Olive Garden while waiting for it to load.

~rc

Seriously, nobody? This is a very good watch even though it completely contradicts Primal.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I watched it. I won't argue with his success, indeed, many elements of it are similar to paleo- plant-based diet, no oils, no sugar, no dairy- but there are some issues that won't let it work for everyone.

The Ornish diet encourages whole grains (and probably soy products), both of which are allergens for a large number of people, or contain chemicals that some don't tolerate well.

Many people don't function well without fat, and there are certain nutrients that can only be found in fat.

MaLink is offline Member
    I thought it was interesting but since I'm new to primal it was hard for me to hear that we shouldn't be eating meat and fish or oils because that's what I'M betting MY life on. :/
    Doing the Primal 30 Day Challenge since August 8th, 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by MaLink View Post
    I thought it was interesting but since I'm new to primal it was hard for me to hear that we shouldn't be eating meat and fish or oils because that's what I'M betting MY life on. :/
    Me too, MaLink. Exactly why I posted this here. I did find this explanation from Dr Davis (Cardiologist - author of "Wheat Belly"):
    I admire Gupta’s intentions. But he fell for the same nonsense that passes for conventional advice in health and heart disease prevention.

In particular, the world has been misled by the faulty logic: If something bad (white processed flour) is replaced by something less bad (whole grains), then more of the less bad thing is great. This is faulty, and potentially fatal, logic, but the basis for the entire nationwide advice to “cut your fat and eat more healthy whole grains.”

I obviously don’t have access to Mr. Clinton’s health records, but he has every sign of being a small LDL particle kind of guy. He might also have Lp(a). I’d be surprised if either of these have been identified.

Interestingly, while I admire much of Arthur Agatston’s work, he has stated publicly that coronary calcium cannot be reduced. Anyone following these discussions knows that this is not true: coronary calcium can be reduced, even to extreme degrees. But the solution does not involve cutting fat, whole grains, and does not necessarily involve statin drugs.
    Heart Scan Blog

I thought it was interesting. A couple of things they found that I thought bolstered primal.

1) When Clinton was in the white house, they put him on a 'good' diet which was characterized by replacing real ground beef with soy burgers and claimed he kept to it. But he kept getting worse. They acted like it was bad luck instead of investigating further. Then claimed a very similar diet to what didn't work for the main test case, is the miracle cure.

2) they made a good case that good fats and oils are vital, as are vegetables, and processed foods are minimized (except for grain of course). They made the very common mistake of treating a steak the same as pepperoni when they were talking about meat.

I think these types of investigations are good in the sense that you can only stare the obvious in the face so many times before it bites you on the nose.

Thanks for sharing the link.
    ~rc
    Last edited by sixpack-rc; 09-03-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Donnn is offline Senior Member
    Was it a vegetarian interviewing a vegetarian? Ornish always looks like crap. Gupta isn't aging well either.

Rhyno is offline Member
    Should have interviewed Mark, or Art De Vany.

I forgot to add: The doctor (South Beach Diet guy) said that Cholesterol was not an indicator for who would have a heart attack.

~rc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast