Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking vegetarianism - worth it? page

agartha2 is offline Junior Member

Breaking vegetarianism - worth it?

Hi,

I am an 18 year old college student, and I have been a very healthy eater for the past year or so, and have become primal as of 1.5 months or so. Only issue is, I am vegetarian and have been so my whole life....basically I have never eaten any meat or fish. I eat eggs very regularly and have lots whey protein to supplement my diet. My question is, is it worthwhile for me to begin eating some lean meats? Nothing red for sure, but could I try chicken or fish? I have no real desire to eat it, but rather am trying to do the best for my health. My family is all vegetarian and they would be very upset to find out, so essentially my question is, would it be worth it?

Also, if I did consider eating meat, my family and our ancestors come from a part of india in which we have not eaten meat for atleast 10 generations minimum. No one in my extended family has ever had any, so I dont know how my stomach will react after generations of us have not had it.

If it is worth starting, how should I start? Im a pretty brave guy and I wouldnt mind going and having a bite or two of chicken and seeing how it goes, but what should I expect? Will I get very sick? I am in school and am very seriously into academics so I wouldnt wanna risk my health for any reason, I cant miss any classes or anything for sure.

To sum it up - should I try it? and if so, how do I start?

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    well i would say go for it but you bring up an interesting point about nobody in your family having eaten meat in so long. it will be interesting to see what others say

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    Check out today's post on the main site--it may answer your question.
    "Wait! I'll fix it!"
    "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
    "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

dado Guest
    there is no future in this, there is only a future in being a primal dawggggggggg

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    I think if you're eating plenty of eggs and organic dairy you'll be fine. It sounds like not eating meat is a huge part of your family's culture! How do you feel about occasional fish?
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Eat fish or try some chicken first. Then go for a salad with some bacon in it.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It's going to be your call. Like gojirama said, eggs and dairy are great; if you can eat fish that's even better.

But if it's going to mean you are effectively disowned by your family, it may not be worth it, and that's understandable too.

We're all coming at this from different places, and while it's easy for some to say "Eat the bacon", it doesn't have the same impact on each individual life.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Nion is offline Senior Member
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I think it is worth it from a health standpoint for sure. If it's going to cause major turmoil with family perhaps it can be your little secret? be your usual vegetarian self when around family.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I think it is worth it from a health standpoint for sure. If it's going to cause major turmoil with family perhaps it can be your little secret? be your usual vegetarian self when around family.
    I second this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast