Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking vegetarianism - worth it? page 2

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I was vegetarian from age 16 to age 28. WORST decision of my life (healthwise). The BEST thing I have ever done for my health was to add in meat, poultry, fish back into my diet. Honestly. (And I've done a lot! )

If you search the archives, there are at least 10 good threads on this topic with lots of helpful tips. For me I added one meat at a time--eating it cooked by someone else (who is a good cook) might be a good way to start as well. It's quite tasty and was not that difficult for me to adjust to personally.

Good luck!! Check this mda blogpost--may be helfpul! How to Eat Meat: Transitioning Away from Vegetarianism | Mark's Daily Apple
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

js290 is offline Senior Member

fatisyummy is offline Member
    You'll have to make the call as to whether you can feel good about the decision to eat meat; nobody can tell you how to feel psychologically about that. But like so many others, I felt physically better after including meat in my diet after years of vegetarianism. I truly believe it to be healthier.

My realization came when I got a dog and researched a good diet for her. I thought to myself, "holy cow, this is downright silly; I'm looking to feed my dog what she was naturally designed to eat but I'm not doing the same for myself!"

Maybe spend some time asking yourself what the actual reasons are behind not eating meat and addressing each one on it's own merit. For example, I didn't like the practices employed to get us our cheap conventional meat, so I addressed that by finding a local, pasture-raised source.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Meat makes you strong. The redder the stronger.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatisyummy View Post
    Maybe spend some time asking yourself what the actual reasons are behind not eating meat and addressing each one on it's own merit. For example, I didn't like the practices employed to get us our cheap conventional meat, so I addressed that by finding a local, pasture-raised source.
    ditto

wehey is offline Member
    I was veggie for 20+ years before becoming interested in Primal eating. I tried the veggie/primal route for 6 months but it was very limiting.

The biggest hurdle for me was a psychological one.......but 3 months ago i had some bacon and the rest is history.......last weekend i had my 1st rib-eye steak lovin' it!!

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wehey View Post
    I was veggie for 20+ years before becoming interested in Primal eating. I tried the veggie/primal route for 6 months but it was very limiting.

The biggest hurdle for me was a psychological one.......but 3 months ago i had some bacon and the rest is history.......last weekend i had my 1st rib-eye steak lovin' it!!
    welcome to the normal side. what made you do the veggie thing in the first place? was it peta and save the whales type thinking or..?

wehey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    welcome to the normal side. what made you do the veggie thing in the first place? was it peta and save the whales type thinking or..?
    I guess it was one of those "phases" you go thro in your late teens where you want to save the world!
    i moved out from home and for the 1st time had to cook for myself and was horrified at the bloody pieces of meat i was cooking lol

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wehey View Post
    I guess it was one of those "phases" you go thro in your late teens where you want to save the world!
    i moved out from home and for the 1st time had to cook for myself and was horrified at the bloody pieces of meat i was cooking lol
    ha, yea, i went through that. but my expression of this sentiment was influenced more by jack kerouac than ellen degeneres, so i drank 22s of 211 and pints of e&j on the city light rail, talking to random people and bums.

meat eating was never option to me, i grew up in the villages in the mountain, where meat eating was the best and it always will be.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think this issue -- for you in particular -- is very personal and actually quite unique.

truthfully, in the west, most of us have no concept of 10 generations of vegetarianism and the cultural, religious, and familial processes involved here. It *is* a bigger deal than those of us who were veg for 5-25 years and then gave it up for our health.

if you are generally healthy, if you feel healthy and so on, then I see no specific reason to eat meat for your health. Particularly if your mental, religious, and social health would suffer.

I think that simply consuming eggs and dairy, staying away from grains and legumes, and eating your fresh veggies and fruits, nuts, and seeds, you'll probably be just fine and no worries.

I, in this situation, would stay with my culture/family, and just adapt primal to suit those cultural/religious/social requirements.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast