Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going from Vegetarian to Primal! page

OrangeGirl is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi everyone! I've been lurking in this forum for a few days now after discovering this great website. I just ordered Mark's book and can't wait to read it. I was just curious if anyone here has made the transition from a vegetarian lifestyle (I was vegan for two years starting 4/07, but started eating eggs this past June) to a primal lifestyle. I cut out wheat & gluten and 95% of sugars in the past two months, and I feel that the primal lifestyle is what will really work for me, energy and depression wise. I freaked my husband out this evening by telling him I wanted to start eating meat again TOMORROW! Has anyone felt funny after eating meat again after a long hiatus?

Thanks everyone, Grok on!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I didn't eat red meat for 3 years a while back (after I bit into a too-rare hamburger that just really grossed me out). I bruised easily, suffered horrible PMS, etc.... and I think my body was like GIVE ME IRON.

When I started again (with a huge medium rare steak) it felt SO RIGHT. No weirdness at all.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

Yo. /raises hand

I was raised vegetarian, and was vegan for about eight years, then vegetarian again, and this last year went WAP omnivore, then full primal in August.

I do feel funny, but it's more mental than physical. I can't really say "after a long hiatus" because this is the first time I've eaten meat in my life. I always feel a little guilty for actually liking the taste, but I think that comes from my upbringing in a hippie-vegan household.

piper your hippie-vegan parents should feel guilty for depriving you of it.... really! No need to feel guilty for liking meat. It's food for a reason.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

Hahaha, I wish. They seem to enjoy sending me on the guilt-trip. Especially when I eat red meat. "OMG You're eating RED meat" as if I were colour-blind. I think they expect me to keel over and die as soon as the buffalo burger hits my lips.

@FlyNavyWife: You really hit the mark with the iron deficiency; I bruise very easily as well and do struggle with PMS sometimes ... I didn't know that was related to iron! Thanks for the food for thought!

@Paleo_Piper: Sounds totally understandable having a weird mental feeling about eating meat! As for me ... a medium rare steak was always one of my favorite foods, so I'm actually pretty excited to eat it again after 2.6 years. LOL about the whole "RED" meat thing!

After much research, it makes more sense to support free range, organic, happy animals for meat rather than totally abstaining from meat altogether.

musajen is offline Junior Member

OrangeGirl, welcome to MDA!!! In case you didn't know, Mark's wife is actually semi-vegetarian and his son is also vegetarian (I believe they eat fish). They demonstrate that you can be somewhat vegetarian and still primal. Here's an introduction to his wife, Carrie:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ask-carrie-a-question/

Not to dissuade you from eating red meat (love me some red meat!) but maybe Carrie's approach could make the transition easier.

Good luck to you!

OG your iron issues should get MUCH better after a little bit of eating meat again.

And I'm totally with you on supporting happy animals' farmers... I haven't switched over yet (money is part of that) but it's in The Plan.

Oh ... trust me, I'm not looking forward to the price tag when I go grocery shopping at my favorite health food store! But food shopping is one of my splurges, and my husband is probably so happy I'm eating meat again, he won't notice the expensive receipt either

I'm really looking forward to not looking like a beat up banana after I get my iron levels back up!

lesliek is offline Member

Welcome to MDA! I think us reformed vegetarians find it *easier* to go primal, since we're already used to a restrictive diet. (And the excitement of finally being able to eat yummy, satisfying meat makes it easier to give up the grain and sugar.)

I was a vegetarian for 12 years (I ate fish for several of those) and had no problems starting to eat meat again. On the night I "popped my carrot" I ate chicken, steak, ham, sausage, pate and more and had no digestive issues. After a few weeks of no grain, however, a bowl of popcorn or piece of bread can make me feel horrible. Kinda funny how that works, huh?

It was a slightly difficult transition eating flesh after so many years of training myself to find it disgusting. I eat almost only pastured/organic/"happy" meat. It doesn't need to be that expensive if you know what to look for (and by eating quality food you'll find you need to eat less).

Let me know if you have any more questions about going from vegetarian to primal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast