Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Salad Dressings page 2

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by danzangaro View Post
    Are there any dressing that are available to buy in typical grocery stores that would be okay to eat as part of the primal diet?
    They exist, but there are very few of them. As others have mentioned, olive oil + balsamic vinegar + a bit of pepper(or something similar) is easy and reasonably cheap.

What should I be looking for in the ingredients and Nutritional profile?
    The main thing is a *short* ingredient list, with the right kind of oil - or more accurately, the absence of bad oils. Avoid soybean/corn/canola/vegetable oils - get a dressing with olive oil as the only oil if at all possible. (Warning: many dressings that say olive oil on the front of the jar/bottle actually use more soybean/canola oil than olive - check the label on the back)

danzangaro is offline Junior Member

Olive Oil and Balsamic

I am probably going to use the Olive Oil and Balsamic with some spices added in. What is the ratio to use with Balsamic and Olive oil?

Monty is offline Senior Member
    I just add them in and taste it. Drizzle the olive oil and, if you can imagine, a few splashes of balsamic. Use your thumb over the vinegar bottle hole to control how much comes out. Start with olive oil and go from there. If you find it gets too much flavor of one thing or not enough, just add more oil/salt/balsamic. Warning - Too much olive oil will just make it all soggy and don't go crazy with the balsamic. So go slow and taste often.
    My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Monty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    No. Soy sauce has gluten in it. You can replace it with Tamari. Sesame seed oil is full of PUMA and oxidizes quickly.
    Isn't Tamari made with soybeans? I saw some in a store and I'm 99% sure it was in the ingredients. Some people use coconut aminos in place of soy sauce.
    My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

EddieChatwin is offline Junior Member
    I make it every day, sometimes twice. I often use good ingredients, good olive oil, good vinegar; mostly I use the every day stuff.

katiedid is offline Junior Member
    i use:

1 tbsp EVOO
    1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
    and lots and lots of Alessi Dipping Spices ( sea salt, garlic, various other spices)

i like to keep the EVOO and vinegar parts equal. but it all depends on your taste.

I actually like to chop my lettuce and dump it and the dressing in a BIG bowl. then i toss it and transfer it to a smaller bowl. it seems to taste better to me if i can get the dressing on it evenly.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Isn't Tamari made with soybeans? I saw some in a store and I'm 99% sure it was in the ingredients. Some people use coconut aminos in place of soy sauce.
    Yes but no gluten in it like soy sauce has. Mark uses it in a lot of his recipes.

keljl+2 is offline Junior Member
    Tahini = yum!
    Most of the time I just drizzle it on straight, but I have mixed it with lemon juice (it sort of thickens the tahini though), tamari, balsamic and avacodo on different occasions - all GOOOOD!

SteveCronk is offline Junior Member
    If you'd prefer not to make your own salad dressing, there are some salad dressings made by Caveman Bob's that are made with macadamia nut oil. Caveman Bob's Paleo Sauces — Salad Dressings

You can use the coupon code "GROK" for 10% off.

avildrio is offline Junior Member
    The problem is that it is made with cottonseed oil badly. So what I do is drain the oil thoroughly bad and replace it with olive oil. Fortunately, this dressing is very special, separate and it is easy to do, but it is very expensive for a salad dressing, because it is already over $ 4 a bottle before I pour the olive oil in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast