Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pullups. How to start page

cmpitre is offline Member

Pullups. How to start

So I am starting this SimpleFit.org program. It is pretty intense but I cannot yet do a pullup.

During the Level 1 Day 1 workout for simple fit you do 1 Pullup, 2 Pushups, and 3 Squats for 20 minutes you try to get as many rounds of this in as possible.
    To replace the pull ups I am doing a modified version (hold on to bar, jump up and hold chin above bar for 2 seconds, then count to 4 to let down). The simple fit program says to count 3 of these as 1 pull up.

So basically for day 1 I am doing 3 modified pullups, 2 pushups, and 3 squats per round.

Day 2 is 2 pullups, 6 pushups, and 10 squats for 5 rounds as fast as possible
    Day 3 is 10 Pullups, 21 pushups, and 21 squats for 1 round as fast as possible

My question is do you think this is enough to help me gain the strength to start doing real pullups or should I try this other program first (50 pullups programme - Do you want to do 50 pullups) or would I be overtraining if I do both.

On 50pullups.com if you cannot do pullups they start you off with a program where you do the same modified pullup I described earlier but you do 1 set of 2, 1 set of 7 then 2 set of 5 then finish day 1 with 1 set of 7. This progresses throughout 6 day cycle which take 2 weeks to complete one 6 day cycle.
    I want to know if this schedule could be considered overtraining or if this is even a good idea. I really need to be able to do pullups.

Monday: Day 1 Level 1 Simplefit
    Tuesday: Day 1 Level 1 50pullups.com
    Wednesday: Day 2 Level 1 Simplefit
    Thursday: Day 2 Level 1 50pullups.com
    Friday: Day 3 Level 1 Simplefit
    Saturday Day 3 Level 1 50pullups.com

Thanks

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you can easily do both without over training. and if you do get to the point where you are training too much, you'll notice fatigue when you are not working out.

do you have an indoor pull up bar? if so, it's ok to do more than those programs. put your bar in a place you pass frequently (perhaps near the bathroom or kitchen) and do a pull up or variation every time you walk by. you'll be activating those muscles more, but not to the point where you will need any extra rest or be sore. it's a great way to build up that strength.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    im starting simplefit (hopefully today) as well and cant do an unassisted pullup. i plan on doing the 3 assisted substitution pullups. i think that as you progress with the program you will start to gain strength and eventually be able to do them unassisted.

if you add up the totals that youll be doing on simplefit even at level 1 i think youll see that you are doing a ton of assisted pullups

day 1 say you can do 20 rounds, thats 60 assisted pullups in 20 minutes
    day 2 youll do 30
    day 3 will also be 30

120 pullups a week assisted or not is going to really work you hard!

now add all the ones you want to do for the other program, thats a TON of pullups!

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Here's some more info on learning to do a pull-up. Keep at it!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Pull Up Bar is inside but it is bulky and cant be moved. Im really limited on space, I live in a trailer. This is the reason why I am transitioning over to bodyweight.
    I never thought I was really strong but I figured I was somewhat while I was lifting weights, but body weight exercises make me realize that I am not that strong at all. I mean I can't even do a pull up without assistance.

I did level 1 last night and I am sore, so I wasnt sure if I should do level 1 pullups. Not sure if I am sore from doing PBF tuesday and simplefit yesterday. I think I should just take a break today and maybe just walk the dog for about 20 or 30 mins.

The simplefit program is pretty tough though.

I am hoping it will get me in shape enough to be able to do a few unassisted pullups.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about too much about whether or not you're completing a pull up so long as you're engaging all the muscles required to do the work in the program. I would experiment with adding the 50 pullups program as you described but pay attention to your effort level to check if you are over training. If there's a noticeable difference in the amount of effort it takes for you to do your modified pull up (ie harder time lowering yourself), then you are doing too much and I would advise giving your pull up muscles a chance to recuperate. As a side note, in my humble opinion, I enjoy simplicity so I would stick to one program until I feel a level of confidence or boredom and then move on to modifying it. But that's just me.

As far as pull ups go, if you are having problems with doing a full pull up, I would much rather try these two variations before your modified version:

1) partials (go half way down then up, count 2 of these as 1)
    2) different grip

Lastly, I read one of your earlier posts and you mentioned your goal of going down in bodyfat. I think the simplefit program alone will help you achieve that, regardless of the type of pull up you do or whether or not you can do a "real" pull up so I wouldn't get hung up on it.
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Thanks pacificBeef. I will try the partials but I can feel my muscles really sore from doing the modified version I did last night.
    18 rounds=18 pullups=54 modified pullups
    Pretty sore from that.

I guess Im just wanting to do pullups without modifying so bad that I want to do whatever it takes to be able to do not just one pull up but multiple pull ups.

otzi Guest
    If you are also trying to lose a substantial amount of weight, you won't progress as fast as if you are starting from a lean weight and good fitness. In January, I couldn't do 1 pullup and was quite a bit overweight. I started doing reverse/assisted pullups, chinups, and lots of pushups. Now, 9 mo later, I'm 35lbs lighter, can do 10-15 really good pullups and 15-25 chinups. I think if i was eating better to gain muscle, I could do even more, but low-carbing and big gains don't go together for me. I think after I lose a few more lbs, I may start a program for building strength with more carbs in it.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    finished my day 1 of simplefit, i did 3 austrailian pull ups for substitution. i managed 18 rounds.... barely!
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

CrashSimbal is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    7 Weeks to 50 Pull-Ups | Official Site I think this fifty pullups program might be better for beginners. If you go to " the program" on the left menu, you can download the free pocket workout guide.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast