Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Always cold + confused page

maximumsj is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi:

Since cutting the carbs, I lost some fat and as a result became very lean (I have a slender build - not much muscle for insulation). I feel OK, but I'm often cold despite using lots of layers (I'll often get a chill that's hard to get rid of). I'm just reading Good Calories, Bad Calories and being cold could be a symptom of not enough calories. I guess that I would have to replace the "carb calories" by protein or good fat calories? I like the lean look, but I need to stay warm, especially since in winters usually mean minus 15 degrees Farenheit on a regular basis!!

Has anyone encountered this problem? Thanks for your help.

FairyRae2 Guest

I'm cold quite a bit now too--but I've never been this thin b/4, and have been told by some that skinnier folks are just colder than 'plumper' ones. (I didn't buy it, and figured it was related to some kind of nutrient deficiency or other issue, but kind of have been not paying attention to it...)

I'm in a cold location as well--I'm going to follow this thread w/ interest! And I've heard so many good things about GCBC--I gotta read it!

Edited to add: I stay around the 150 g range of carbs, so I'm not really really low carb at all...not sure where you're at or if that makes a difference...(I used to be a carbaholic, so this moderate/maintenance carb intake was a big change for me!)

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Increasing my fat intake when it's cold realy helps to "turn up my furnace".

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

Wow. Lucky you. I've cut carbs too, but have yet to gain leanness. You'd think I'd be warm despite my considerable "extra coat". I'm usually wearing two layers indoors because I'm so cold.

g2baker is offline Member

Thyroid problems are something to think about when your having issues with being cold. May want to check it out with a doc.

lesliek is offline Member

In my pre-primal days, I used to get really cold or too hot easily. Now I find my body temperature is much more constant. Has anyone else experienced this?

madMUHHH Guest

More calories is definitely something I would consider. Also, I wouldn't completely exclude carbs from that equation. After being rather low-carb for so long, I'm quite sure that my low-carb diet is responsible for my low body-temperature and possible adrenal/thyroid issues. I just don't think that low-carb is always the option anymore.

Well apart from that, just eat more. Even if you will get in some more carbs, it's kinda easy to "undereat" on the primal blueprint.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Add some muscle.

Is it just your arms and legs or is it throughout?

madMUHHH Guest

@arthurb999:

I don't know if this is a smart advice. Or at least an advice that leads to the root problem.

Whether you're lean or not, cold body temperature is a clear sign that your body is not in homeostasis as it should be. Now this could be because of a lot of reasons and probably isn't that grave in the end, but I doubt just adding muscle would do anything against whatever is the cause of low body temperature.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I couldn't hurt and it must have some insulating value...

Also adding muscle will require more calories so that might help too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast