Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOH! Moment: Co-Worker Just Explained to me that Olive Oil is bad for you page

JVAMan is offline Member

DOH! Moment: Co-Worker Just Explained to me that Olive Oil is bad for you

Primal Fuel
    because your body isn't made to have *oil* in it. So all oils are bad for you!

dado Guest
    ask him why he has so much oil on his stupid face then?

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JVAMan View Post
    because your body isn't made to have *oil* in it. So all oils are bad for you!
    Olive oil isn't the greatest oil. Hell, give that person some CO!
    Georgette

JVAMan is offline Member
    I know - I only use olive oil for salad dressing and I buy my sardines in olive oil, which is what caused this argument. For cooking I've started to use coconut oil.

And she also said you should get most of your fats from nuts.
    Last edited by JVAMan; 09-01-2011 at 08:32 AM.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JVAMan View Post
    And she also said you should get most of your fats from nuts.

...which are full of natural oils. Bless her heart, she doesn't understand much about food

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Olive oil isn't the greatest oil. Hell, give that person some CO!
    I'd rather use olive oil than coconut oil. Better taste, more antioxidants and polyphenols. Coconut oil may be less prone to oxidation, but that's about the only area where it shines vs olive oil. It'll still smoke before olive oil will. Not sure why olive oil is so hated on this site and coconut oil is so loved. It really isn't logical unless you have gut candida. Coconut oil's great for your skin and to kill bacteria from all the lauric acid. They both have their strong points, but neither is really better than the other. They just shine in different areas.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Oh he probably just thinks that engine oil and cooking oil are the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It'll still smoke before olive oil will.
    Even the non-virgin stuff?

I don't think EVOO is hated on this site. Maybe a few loud nutjobs make it seem that way.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Quote Originally Posted by jqbancroft View Post
    ...which are full of natural oils. Bless her heart, she doesn't understand much about food
    Awesome advice. What a great recipe for massive systemic inflammation from an n3:n6 ratio of 1:30! People really upset me.

Tell that person that they'll have to eat an entire pound of wild caught salmon just to balance out all the linoleic acid from a single handful of nuts. Otherwise, they risk coronary inflammation from eating a food regularly that was only historically available in small quantities a few weeks out of an entire year. Watch their eyes roll into the back of their head.

My stance on nuts is they're one of the worst things out there. Nuts? Give me beans, please! Far less toxic.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Oh he probably just thinks that engine oil and cooking oil are the same thing.

Even the non-virgin stuff?

I don't think EVOO is hated on this site. Maybe a few loud nutjobs make it seem that way.
    I wouldn't use non-virgin olive oil just like I wouldn't use non-virgin coconut oil. If you're not buying extra virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil, the benefits of both are gone IMO. You may as well just use butter at that point. People seem to be terrified of cooking with olive oil, but the fact is, it's been shown countless times to hold up very well to heat, it's loaded with antioxidants and polyphenols, the good stuff is low in PUFA's and its smoke point is considerably higher than coconut oil's smoke point is. And the flavor lends itself to a much wider variety of foods. Don't even get me started on salad. Have you ever put coconut oil on salad? BARF!

Smoke Points:

406 F: Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
    420 F: Olive Oil, Virgin
    350 F: Coconut Oil

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/colle...mokepoints.htm

I have a temperature gun and I've tested olive oil myself to last until at least 380*F until it smokes. I usually buy Boticelli brand in the green tins and it smokes at about the 400*F mark. Coconut oil smokes first.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-01-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Monty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My neighbor tried telling me this too. Then she went on to say that she cooks everything in canola oil because her natralpath told her to. I tried to explain the chemistry behind how bad canola is and I could tell it is in one ear and out the other. This coming from a woman with 6 types of autoimmunity.
    My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast