Thread: Insomnia! page

MPM
    MPM is offline Junior Member

Insomnia!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Went primal about 18 days ago and I'm having major issues sleeping at night. Energy level during the day has been great but I can't sleep at night.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Grizz is offline Banned
    Many if not most of us require less sleep after going primal. Both the wife & I wake up naturally about 2 hours earlier every day. How many hours are you sleeping each night?

Here are some natural sleeping aids recommended by members on this board:
    Natural Calm was the most popular,
    available at Health Food Stores & Amazon.Com
    Natural Calm

valerian root, kava kava, or tea with valerian root in it

Melatonin with great success and no grogginess in the morning
    +1 on the Melatonin!! Double or more the dose on the bottle...gives better dreams!
    try 1mg of melatonin- (more is not better with this supplement.)

Bluebonnet brand liquid magnesium, one tablespoon about an hour before bed, works like a dream.
    or Magnesium citrate 400-600 mg 1 hour before sleep.

Sleep Mask
    Amazon.com: Aroma Home Silk Eye Mask Black: Health & Personal Care

Grizz

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I had this happening, and fixed by doing 2 things: no coconut oil after 3 pm (it keeps me awake), and fish ol capsules taken no later than 5 pm. Both these actions fixed my sleep. I take 800 mg magnesium 2 hours prior to bed, it helps me have deep, restful sleep. I need 7.5-8 hours nightly.

MPM
    MPM is offline Junior Member
    I've been getting about 5 hours on good days and sometimes less when I have to get up early for work. I feel very tired around 9-10pm but when I actually try to go to bed, I cant fall asleep.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Since I started taking Natural Calm I practically fall into a coma at night.

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    i try to go for the zero-interference approach on insomnia - set a nice rhythm and stick to it - but if there's any upset to that rhythm at all, i get thrown into a tailspin and it gets progressively worse. melatonin has been a good reset button on that for me - i.e., if i'm in bed and frustrated for more than half an hour, i take it and then feel confident that i won't throw the rhythm out of whack.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I try not to take my supplements anytime after dinner because some of them will keep me a little too alert (Magnesium being the obvious exception).
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

ericsocialadr is offline Junior Member
    yap, the problem with sleepin, i think it happens often, but thanks for the tips , very helpful... ))

Lovelessk is offline Junior Member
    I suggest avoiding melatonin like it was poison.

My doctor has some amazing horror stories of melatonin dependance some folks develop once their body stops making it naturally. (EDIT: ymmv)

It's supposed to be a GREAT way to become an insomniac for life.

I never slept like normal people anyway; but, you could always try switching your workouts around. On VLC a workout puts me to bed. When a bit higher in carbs, it has me up all day.

Using any chemical, natural or not, would be the LAST thing to try when adjusting imho.

Grizz is offline Banned
    I have just discovered the FINAL FIX for my insomnia problems, and sooo simple !

Just take seaweed supplements for iodine. Dr. Davis recommends 500 mcg to 1,000 mcg daily of kelp supplements.
    The RDA for non-lactating adults is 150 mcg per day, the quantity required to not have a goiter, but not necessarily ideal thyroid health. I’ve therefore been advising 500-1000 mcg per day from an iodine supplement, such as kelp tablets (dried seaweed), available at health food stores (not pharmacies). (note:Read his warnings)
    Also see these important links:
    How to Self-Test for an Iodine Deficiency
    Iodine Deficiency | University of Michigan Health System

Grizz