Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to limit dark chocolate? Binging on the unsweetened stuff... page

grok_wonk is offline Member

How to limit dark chocolate? Binging on the unsweetened stuff...

No idea how this is possible, but I've found myself eating ungodly quantities of the unsweetened baking dark chocolate without really thinking about it. I can cut out chocolate for long periods of time and be fine, but as soon as it's reintroduced, it's like my body shifts "modes" and I find myself effortlessly munching through a whole (expensive!!) bar.

As this is unsweetened stuff, the "binge" factor can't be blamed on sugar- is there a chemical component to the chocolate itself that makes it especially easy to binge on? Could it be my body's way of loading up on some sort of nutritional deficit? Or could it be psychological?

Any tips/advice on reigning in the self control? At this point, I'm considering cutting it out altogether, but I would like to keep it in my diet (in small quantities!!) if possible due to its supposed "heart healthy" properties.

spincycle is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the same boat, but I've been bingeing on 85% dark chocolate. Sadly, I think I'm going to have to cut it out altogether, I don't understand those people who can eat one square or two and be satisfied, I wish I was one of them. No clue how you can binge on unsweetened chocolate though- that stuff is harsh, lol!

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I can eat 20 gr and leave it at that. Not sure how this happens, seeing I was the biggest binger in the past. Maybe you lack magnesium? I take 800 mg 2 hours before bed daily, that could be the trick? Cocoa is full of magnesium.
    Another point could be the emotional satisfaction you get, it's hardwired into your brain that chocolate is a tasty treat. If thisis the case I think going cold turkey could really help.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Gives me migraines, so I have no problem cutting it out of my life completely.

I'm not sure how well it freezes, but could you maybe cut it into serving sizes and freeze them individually? Might take longer to thaw and give you time to think whether you really want to eat it or not.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have the same issue, so whenever I find myself going overboard I do a few chocolate-free weeks. Then when I start back up I am fine again for quite a while. Once I start overdoing it again, I cut it out again. I have recently cut way back on fruit though to test some fructose issues I may be having and surprisingly for me I have found my chocolate cravings go down if I am not eating much fruit.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Limit chocolate? What was the question again?
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Embyr42 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Gives me migraines, so I have no problem cutting it out of my life completely.

I'm not sure how well it freezes, but could you maybe cut it into serving sizes and freeze them individually? Might take longer to thaw and give you time to think whether you really want to eat it or not.
    Chocolate freezes great- gives it a nice "POP" feeling to it when you bite it while frozen- unfortunately for me, it makes it MORE enticing so beware of that! I had to give it up, one piece became a whole bar became a trip to the store for more.

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    Hmm.

Well, if it's price issues... you could just try some of the expensive bar, and then if you want more after that, switch to unsweetened cocoa. It's about 99-100% cocoa, so it packs a punch. I like the expensive stuff too, but honestly in a pinch I like the more economical brands like Fry's or even supermarket brand cocoa well enough. Just makes sure it's still basically just pure cocoa. You can save some cash that way.

But for me, unsweetened chocolate binges were always about caffeine. When I started drinking coffee again, they vanished. Haven't been back since.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem! I try to avoid all sweeteners, but unsweetened (baking) chocolate seriously tempts me to "eat the whole thing." What I've been buying instead is unsweetened cocoa. I use it to make myself little 'brownies' to have with my afternoon tea--just a couple of teaspoons of cocoa and 1 egg mixed (sometimes with cinnemon and vanilla added) and microwaved for a couple of minutes.

These things tend to satisfy my chocolate 'needs' but not inspire any overeating of them.

kungfumike is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Trader Joes has chip-shaped bakers chocolate that is easy to binge on but you can also take out a chip or few and go away. I figure you're probably bingeing on on the brick type.

I have the same problem. I figure as long as I am not bingeing on sugar, I am on the right track.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast