Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Fitness Outdoors in the wicked cold winter page

Mainer is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Since the trails haven't been packed down by the sleds yet, we can't winter mtnbike. The mountains aren't blanketed in enough snow for a decent downhill run. The lakes are as dangerous as a rabid raccoon right now, so we have turned to snowshoeing. What a blast! To top it off, when we get to the mountaintop of choice, we have been firing up our homemade backpacking stoves and cooking up tea or dark hot chocolate. Hope to cook ups some pemmican soup the next trip, might be a bit more primal! Anyone else snowshoeing?, better yet, what are you doing outside in the cold to keep exercising?

You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Annika is offline Senior Member

Snowshoeing is my favorite winter exercise! I have trails in the woods beginning at my doorstep. I'm not quite ambitious or buff enough to snowshoe up a mountain.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

cmw45 is offline Member

snowboarding, shoveling, and sledding!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

At work, we have a gym (and locker rooms) with trainers and wed and fri they take us outdoors for a class... we do it even in the cold. Got my polypropiline long johns.

Generally we do one day hill sprints and one day "long" run (with some calastenics mixed in).

Pretty good time. Most people think we're crazy going outside in the 20s... but they are out of shape and overweight

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

Snowshoeing is such exhilarating exercise! I've only done it a few times (I don't own any, but can rent from local nature areas), but there is something so kid-like about floating around through the snow.

Plain old hiking around in boots is also a lot of fun. It's hard work but you warm up fast. Ice skating is another activity that's more like play, but you'll feel it in your legs if you don't do it regularly.

Finally, I have a pair of yax trax that I can put on my shoes or boots for a winter jog. It's fun, especially in the evenings when everyone has their Christmas lights on. I LOVE winter and winter activities! I'm just sad I can't snowboard while pregnant

Excellent, glad to see others who like to go outside in the cold. We are getting walloped with a massive winter storm this weekend, they are predicting 2ft or more. I will be ready with the snowshoes! Then hit the mountains on Monday to enjoy some fresh POWDER! I be Grok loved to Ski!

You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Snowshoed again today. There was deeper fresh snow, so it was more of a workout. I love being out in the woods in the snow. Sunday: downhill skiing in fresh powder! Woo-hoo!

Sounds like you had fun Annika, snowshoeing is a blast, especially in lots of fresh powder, can't wait to get out tomorrow. Skiing will be a hoot too!

I haven't been up on the mountain yet this year. In Vermont we had a kinda slow start to winter and only had got a decent amount of snow the week before Christmas. We are making up for it this weekend!

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

Ah, I'm so jealous! What I wouldn't give for a 10 hour day of flying down mountains...enjoy yourselves!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast