Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the 80% rule help or hurt? page

spincycle is offline Senior Member

Does the 80% rule help or hurt?

Primal Fuel
    I'm not sure if it works for me. I like that I don't have to feel like I've screwed up if I eat a scoop of ice cream, in the past I would have beaten myself up, told myself I'd fallen off the wagon, and kept on eating badly. With the PB, if I eat something non-Primal, it helps me to know that that was my 20%, and that I am still compliant, I don't beat myself up and I get back on the plan. The problem is that after about 3-4 months eating Primal and doing really well, I find myself making more allowances- eating more fruit, larger servings of dark chocolate, more almond butter, a few spoonfuls of my kids' fruit smoothies, and it's all adding up. I'm having trouble reining it in, and I think that if I hadn't started letting my diet slide knowing that I was still in the 20%, if I had stuck strictly to the eating plan, I wouldn't be battling my sweet cravings again, which I had beaten for 8-10 weeks. What has your experience been, do you ignore the 80% rule, or is it what keeps you sticking to the PB?

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    It helps people getting on the boat I think. The other 20% is starting to paddle.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    What Mark says is try for 100% but if you get 80% or more, you are doing ok. If you try for 80% you usually end up at 60%. Try for 100% but don`t beat yourself up when it isn`t.

Generally I would say I am 95%+ compliant and being that compliant helps rein me in and stops me from having cravings.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Dean Dwyer of Being Primal allows himself 3 planned cheat meals per week. He has rules like the cheat meal/snack has to be eaten as a separate meal/snack with atleast 2 hrs between meals, no more than 70g carbs, total carbs for day not to exceed 150g. He found it better then a one huge cheat meal.
    http://www.beingprimal.com/wp-conten...o-cheating.pdf

Just introduced to his blog. He has some interesting thoughts/tips etc for dietary lifestyle.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I stick to a 95%-5% rule. So I might have 30 grand 85% dark chocolate once a forth night or half a pear with some cheese once a week. I'm still very mindful of what I put in my mouth. If I let it slide the cravings will return over time and I can't afford that to happen again.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    What Mark says is try for 100% but if you get 80% or more, you are doing ok. If you try for 80% you usually end up at 60%. Try for 100% but don`t beat yourself up when it isn`t.

Generally I would say I am 95%+ compliant and being that compliant helps rein me in and stops me from having cravings.
    Exactly. At Primalcon, Mark made quite a point of saying how he didn't like the 80/20 thing getting interpreted as an excuse to slack off. It is meant for those little things that come up in life that are beyond your control. Like you go to a friend's house and she has put canola oil in the salad dressing or you go out with friends for Asian food and there may be a bit of sugar in the peanut sauce. You don't need to be a social douche in those kinds of situations in order to stay 100% strictly Primal. But save it for those kinds of things.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    It helps people getting on the boat I think. The other 20% is starting to paddle.
    Completely. It's like training wheels.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    My 20 percent is that I live in a city and breathe the awful air. Sometimes, if I run out of well water, I'll drink tap water. And date night, where I eat ONE non-primal meal. 20% is not a cheeseburger, or a sugar bomb. It's the fact that we live in captivity.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    my 20% is eating store bought meat vs grass fed. eventually i strive to be 100% but im not letting it bother me right now
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post

This. The 80% rule does not mean that you should plan to have a 20% non-primal diet. It's more of a psychological backstop to keep you from beating yourself up if you fall off the wagon a time or two. You can't be perfect, but you have to do the best you can and not deliberately slack off on a regular basis.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast