Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is homemade probiotic yogurt Primal? Recipes? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Is homemade probiotic yogurt Primal? Recipes?

I've been reading about how beneficial probiotics are for the gut/digestive system that are naturally grown in homemade yogurt. Now I do have some digestive issues with dairy, but I'm wondering if this would be an exception to the rule because of the probiotics. Does anyone make their own from scratch? How so? Thanks!

kiwigirl42 is offline Member
    Some people include dairy and some people don't. depends whether you have a sensitivity to it. If you think you have, you can avoid it for 30 days then reintroduce to see if you feel worse eating it again.
    Personally I eat homemade yogurt at least daily if not more as I like to get my probiotics from yogurt rather than a capsule and for the calcium. I've made yogurt from this site which worked well but have also bought myself an Easiyo maker. You just add one of their sachets (NZ milk powder and probiotics, no sugar depending what flavour/ style you chose) and put it in the included container with boiling water and 6 hrs later = lovely yogurt

there is lots of threads on this site about dairy/ yogurt etc including this one by Mark

Thank you! I'm looking at coconut water kefir as well since I usually do have a problem with dairy. Did you notice any benefits from it? Thanks!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Usually fermentation and/ or the use of raw milk gets around people's dairy "issues". If you tolerate them and are not a paleo purist, dairy is ok on primal. However, if weight loss is one if your goals it might be problematic. It's an individual thing.

I make homemade kefir. It's easier to make and the probiotics are supposed to stay in your system unlike the yogurt ones which go through.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I make yoghurt for my lactose intolerant husband - I use 4 teaspoons of organic bio yoghurt as a starter (and freeze the rest of the pot in an ice-cube tray!) to 1 litre of raw milk, put it in an electric yoghurt maker and leave it to ferment for 24 hours - it's really easy, doesn't cause my husband any problems, and is fantastic in dressings and cooking generally. I also do the same to make creme fraiche using 4 tablespoons of buttermilk to 1 litre of organic heavy cream, and leaving for 36 hours fermentation before cooling for 12 hours. It keeps for up to a week, and also makes fantastic cultured/fermented butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Usually fermentation and/ or the use of raw milk gets around people's dairy "issues". If you tolerate them and are not a paleo purist, dairy is ok on primal. However, if weight loss is one if your goals it might be problematic. It's an individual thing.

I make homemade kefir. It's easier to make and the probiotics are supposed to stay in your system unlike the yogurt ones which go through.
    Do you do the coconut water kefir or milk kefir? I'm thinking about the coconut water one, but I'm a bit afraid of the sugar you have to use to get it started. :/ Thanks!

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    You don't need a yogurt maker either, a crockpot will do perfectly. We've made several batches using this method.

1/2 gallon of milk in the crockpot, cook on low for 2 /12 hours. Turn off the crockpot and unplug.
    Let it sit for 3 hours. Remove 2 cups of the now warm milk, mix in a bowl with 1 cup yogurt containing live, active cultures.
    Return to crockpot, and let sit on the counter for 8 hours with a towel wrapped around it.

At the end of 8 hours you'll have yogurt. For Greek style, strain through a CLEAN t-shirt or other lint free fabric. Straining reduces volume by about 1/2. You can reserve a cup of your first batch for the starter on subsequent batches.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    Do you do the coconut water kefir or milk kefir? I'm thinking about the coconut water one, but I'm a bit afraid of the sugar you have to use to get it started. :/ Thanks!
    I make mine with raw milk. I tried coconut milk and did not care for it. Also beware the gRains will die out after a couple of batches of coconut. They need to go to milk in between batches to get revitalized.
    Last edited by Adrianag; 09-07-2011 at 03:59 AM.

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    I made yogurt again this week, probably my 12th time. I keep tweaking recipes hoping to get one the kids will eat plain, well I found it!

1 litre of half and half
    2 cans of coconut milk
    2 tbsp of sugar (can omit.)
    2 pkgs of yogurt starter
    2 tsp of agar powder (I like my yogurt thicker and this helps)

Heat sugar, coconut milk and half and half until boiling. Scoop out 1 cup, mix in agar then add back into pot. Let cool until 110 degrees. Add yogurt starter to a bowl and pour in 1 cup cooled milk mixture, mix. Add back to pot. Give one final stir. Pour into a covered glass dish. Wrap in a towel and place on the middle rack of your oven with the light on (replace oven bulb with a 100w household bulb.) Leave in oven for 8-18 hours (longer = thicker and tangier.) Remove from oven and stir. Place glass dish in fridge, next day, eat your totally rockin' yogurt. I send it in my kids' lunches with a frozen berry cube that they mix in when they're ready to eat it!

Bionicsamm, I like the idea of mixing coconut milk and half and half but have a question about the use of Yogurt starter. Usually yogurt is stared with a couple of tbsp. of yogurt from a previous batch. Does that not work in this recipe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast