Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing of vitamins/supplements page

jamesp Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi All,

Currentaly taking a multivitamin, garlic, omega 3 and antioxidant daily, but when is the best (most beneficial) time of day to take supplements in order to get the biggest gain? Waking on empty stomach? During breakfast? Post workout? Before bed?

Thoughts?

Brit is offline Junior Member

I'm kind of new to this, but I don't think it really matters. Your body will absorb what it needs and will excrete the rest. That's why sometimes your pee is bright yellow after taking a MVI.

The omega 3s (fish oil) I take after each meal per bottle instructions.

The only thing I think may affect the uptake is if you take whatever with a bunch of fiber. Maybe it won't get absorbed as much?

As for post-workout, unless you're taking creatine or protein supps I don't know if there is any benefit.

I take a MVI daily, sometimes I do half in the AM and the other half with dinner.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

You need to research each supplement in order to know when to take it. For example, if you take calcium at the same time you take iron, the calcium will greatly reduce your ability to absorb the iron. You want to take the iron later, preferably with your B12.

madMUHHH Guest

In general I'd say eat your vitamins with food as this is where they usually come from anyways. But when you go for some herbs/extracts, it probably would be better to take them on an empty stomach.

This may be total bogus though, because as Sharon ponted out,it's much more complex that that. Soyes, do look it up.

GotPrimal Guest

Ideally, take them with food. If you can take them on an empty stomach w/out getting bloated/upset/etc, that works as well. Nutrient timing is not as important as most think. Especially with omega-3s, multi-vit, garlic etc.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I take my multivitamin and D supplement in the morning with breakfast. I add a fish oil with breakfast and dinner.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

I take my multi, fish oil (1g), B-complex and sometimes licorice (adrenal supp) in the morning.

I take calcium, K2, D3 (8-10,000 IU) and more fish oil at night.

Every now and again I throw in some MSM.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Brit is offline Junior Member

Uhhhh...what's MSM?

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member

I take a whole food multi on an empty stomach asap in the morning with the sole purpose of keeping it away from my coffee...which keeps certain things from being absorbed.

I then take krill oil & D3 with breakfast.

I take antioxidants alpha lipoic, CoQ10, and the occasional pycnogenol at night.

And I take Glutamine immediately post-workout on an empty stomach.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

MSM: Methylsulfonylmethane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylsulfonylmethane

Just a good source of sulfur for your joints and to decrease inflammation.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast