Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I cut fat? page

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member

Should I cut fat?

Primal Fuel
    Hey y'all, help me out a little here.

I started at about 280 back at the first of year. I started this WOE, and by June I was down to 240.

I'm stuck there.

Is it possible that I'm just eating too much fat? I don't purposely seek out fat, but I don't shy away from it either. I use coconut oil regularly, butter once or twice a week, and don't generally shy away from fattier cuts of meat. That worked REALLY well for me to get that initial 40 off.

Now I'm not really budging.

So I'm wondering if I need to start working harder to create a calorie deficit. What I'm thinking is getting a bunch of chicken breasts and a bunch of frozen veggies, cooking the chicken breast in coconut oil and having the veggies.

What do you guys think? Should I just be IFing and sprinting instead?

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Well, you've lost the easy weight. Gets more interesting now.

Are you lifting heavy? (Your own body counts.)
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Subsisting on veggies and chicken only sounds unnecessary.

Let's start with some more info:

Age?
    Menus?
    Exercise?
    Sleep?
    Stress?
    Medical conditions?
    Alcohol?
    Prescriptions?

I'll be 30 in October.

No alcohol. No meds.

Food is usually meat and veggies. It's all conventional stuff--access and budget restrict the high end stuff.

Sleep isn't bad, but not perfect. Stress isn't bad at all. No medical conditions.

Exercise varies. I did Stronglifts for a while. I saw good muscle gains, but not a lot of fat loss.

Now I do more body weight stuff...I'll do easy cardio for 10 and do kb swings, pushups, body rows and air squats, usually 3 rounds of that.

Looks like it's time to start experimenting with things like carb re-feeds, carb/calorie cycling, IF, etc.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Maybe track your calories and nutrients - see what your macros are and if you are eating too many calories. I know lots of people may diss me for this, but calories are a factor to look at. How are you doing vitamin and mineral wise? Sometimes I think appetite can be up if our nutrition needs supplementation. I know chromium really dropped my appetite and it helps with maintaining steady blood sugar.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Looks like it's time to start experimenting with things like carb re-feeds, carb/calorie cycling, IF, etc.
    I've thought about some of this, but I felt like I still had too much to lose to try that. Maybe I will.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbitt81 View Post
    I've thought about some of this, but I felt like I still had too much to lose to try that. Maybe I will.

If you have everything dialed in, and haven't lost any weight, it could be time to try something new. Whether that's one of the things I listed, calorie counted like listed above, leptin reset, is up to you.

Disclosure: diet's also not as clean as I like it. I'm probably averaging 1-3 minor gluten exposures a week.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    You sound just like me, except my journey was from 240 to 200...and I lost that on mostly a CW-style approach.

200 has been like a glass barrier to me.

Since I first dropped below 200, I've tried continuing what I had been doing (trying to eat a "balanced" diet and running 20-30 miles a week), Tim Ferris' slow carb diet for 12 weeks (while still running...in fact I was training for a half marathon at the time and it was more like 30-40 miles a week), and then not much of anything for a couple of months. For the month of August, I've given PB a whirl and I've lost a grand total of ZERO pounds.

I actually had more success on slow carb (I think I went from 205 to 192 before the experiment exploded...I couldn't take ANOTHER FRICKIN' BEAN!!!) than I've had on PB. But, I thought when I started PB that it would be something I would be more likely to keep at it. Lately now, I'm not so sure...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast