Page 92 of 699 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192592 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 92

phreebie is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Dear Gay Panda,

Before I found primal, the last somewhat success I had was a little known diet called 'The hacker's diet'. This diet was really big on calorie restriction, portion control, and daily weighings, and tracking the whole lot with a spreadsheet & graphs.. I was really good at the discipline required for the daily weighings and the spreadsheet. The calorie restriction and the portion control - meh.

Anyway, one of the greatest things about that diet, was that daily weighings are of no importance, other than how they impact on the weighted average of your trend weight. The idea is that even when your overall average weight is trending down, there will be days when your daily weight is higher than your recent average - after all that's how averages work - half the numbers are higher.

So if you were to plot those numbers you posted, and apply an exponentially smoothed weighted mean, with a smoothing factor of 0.9 (giving greater weighting to the most recent results, you would see that you are still losing the weight.

Sorry for the uscheduled interruption, we now return you to the regular program.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    Dollhouse marathon? Noooo! Eliza Dushku, get your mitts off our Panda.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Ah hah! Finally caught up! (It's good to have productive things to do at work)

I love reading this journal, Panda. Like you, I'm an introvert's introvert- and it's like reading a much more entertaining version of my life. I've also come to the (obvious) conclusion that I'm not cool and never have been. But- like you said, there's so much freedom in it! While I do not have snazzy purple clogs, I revel in the idea that if I decided to indulge, it wouldn't do a bit of harm to my image, since I don't have one! Good luck with your social/non-social balance. It's hard on vacation- but necessary.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Gay Panda should not have a driver’s license.

Though I passed the written portion with flying colors, I had not had nearly enough practice behind the wheel. Yes, I’d done the hours with the instructor, but the guy was the sort of character that after school TV specials star in the role of Creepy Man #3. He freaked me out so much that I put off the test for a year and a half, until I got a job and it could no longer be avoided.

So, with six hours of training under my belt from eighteen months before, and two disastrous drives with one of the Perpetually Arguing Panda Parents (in which I roared over the curb at Target with the Perpetually Sticky Panda Siblings screaming we’re going to die! in the backseat), I presented myself at the DMV for my test. After driving over a curb, blowing through a blind intersection, and nearly nailing a pedestrian right there in the DMV parking lot, the man who was giving my test said, “Aw, kid, you tried so hard!” and gave me a 71.

No, I should not have gotten my license, but I did. I dislike the saying that you get out what you put in. This philosophy was more or less true in school: my grades generally reflected the effort. I thought that this was how life worked, but it does not. You can fail a driving test but pass if the examiner pities you. You can be the most perfect candidate for a job in the world, but have your application thrown out because you are a Scorpio. Getting out what you put in is so not true for publishing, and it is definitely not true for weight loss.

If I eat poorly, I am guaranteed a 100% failure rate on weight loss. Yet if I eat perfectly, I am not guaranteed a 100% rate of success. There is a factor out of my control, and this is the most maddening state of events. I deal with the daily visit to the scale pretty well. I need the number to keep me on track, and I don’t want to spend my days on highs or lows according to whatever number I see, so I have to divorce my emotions from it. Usually I am successful, but sometimes I am not. Yesterday was one of those times, because it is the fourth time I’ve hit that low of 184.4 (since October) and then bounced back up.

Part of the irritation at this is due to my long ago struggles with losing weight the conventional way: semi-starvation and running myself to muscle strain. In one of those instances, the lowest I ever got was about where I am now. And I could not maintain it. I believe on one golden day I may have seen 181. But then, no matter how little I ate and how much I ran, I shot back up. So I worry that maybe the low 180s, no matter by what method I reach it, is simply my body’s limit. The damage from the pills may be too much to overcome, and the 170s might be forever unattainable. Who knows? In the end, I am not in control. I might not get out what I put in. There are no guarantees.

Because Valhalla has a perverse sense of humor, today I reached a new low of 184.2. It doesn’t look like much difference, does it? But I am still glad to see it. I just need the bone now and then, even if the bone is a 0.2 difference since late October. Oh, the Slow Train. Since my body seems to like the higher fat ratio (shucking that weight from November much faster than I’d anticipated) I’m going to stick with it for a little while longer and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by phreebie View Post
    Anyway, one of the greatest things about that diet, was that daily weighings are of no importance, other than how they impact on the weighted average of your trend weight. The idea is that even when your overall average weight is trending down, there will be days when your daily weight is higher than your recent average - after all that's how averages work - half the numbers are higher.

So if you were to plot those numbers you posted, and apply an exponentially smoothed weighted mean, with a smoothing factor of 0.9 (giving greater weighting to the most recent results, you would see that you are still losing the weight.
    Thank you, phreebie! I think that this grumpiness was inspired by hitting the same damn low over and over and over and over and then bouncing back up . . . until today, when I dropped 0.2 beneath it. But you're right, my weight is trending down. I just have to be patient, and patience is not one of this panda's virtues.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I hear you, Panda. I'm so tired of the numbers on either side of 200 that I've basically thrown the towel in for the moment. I can't take the effort with a total lack of permanent results.

However- you, m'dear, are doing great! How long have you been at this and how far down are you? You won't be able to look delightfully Rubenesque on that scale of yours for long- if you even still can.

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    I hear you, Panda. I'm so tired of the numbers on either side of 200 that I've basically thrown the towel in for the moment. I can't take the effort with a total lack of permanent results.

However- you, m'dear, are doing great! How long have you been at this and how far down are you? You won't be able to look delightfully Rubenesque on that scale of yours for long- if you even still can.
    Sometimes we must take a break for our sanity!

My Lifetime High Score was around 2002 at a very ripe 231 pounds of panda. I am 5'9", but with a smallish/medium frame, it just hung off me EVERYWHERE. And the last 30 pounds were all in my cheeks. So then I bounced up and down and up and down with conventional weight loss methods, and ended up this March at 217 pounds of panda. Now in December I'm 184.2. There have been several pauses in those months (virtually nothing happened in August or October) and then suddenly I crashed through it and moved down again. What's difficult when my body pulls those stunts is that I can eat completely 100% clean, and still nothing will happen. My body's just not ready, and as it drags on, I worry that it never will be ready.

I still look a little pudgy on the scale, I still think YIKES in the dressing room mirror, but YIKES is an improvement on when I was 231 and looked at that mirror thinking in horror I'm in this body somewhere. I didn't even recognize myself any longer at that weight, and it killed me when a friend found my high school graduation picture in which I weighed around 137 pounds and blurted, "That's you?! You look so . . . so . . . different now."

Knife through the heart.
    Last edited by Gay Panda; 12-06-2011 at 05:11 PM.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i gotta be honest, if it were me i'd have probably replied 'well you look STUPID now!'

...okay, i'd think it
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i gotta be honest, if it were me i'd have probably replied 'well you look STUPID now!'

...okay, i'd think it
    That cracked me up. She was so embarrassed, but the first half flew out her mouth before the brain caught up, and then she was desperately trying to conceal the second half, which was obvious to both of us. But my, oh my, the difference between Gay Panda at 137 pounds and Gay Panda at 231 pounds is nothing short of astonishing.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    I still look a little pudgy on the scale, I still think YIKES in the dressing room mirror, but YIKES is an improvement on when I was 231 and looked at that mirror thinking in horror I'm in this body somewhere. I didn't even recognize myself any longer at that weight, and it killed me when a friend found my high school graduation picture in which I weighed around 137 pounds and blurted, "That's you?! You look so . . . so . . . different now."

Knife through the heart.
    I'm still not used to my "new" fat body. my husband has a picture of me as the wallpaper on his phone and when I saw it I said, "Oh my god! Why do you have such a hideous picture on your phone!?!" He sees "perky boobs and nice skin", I see bloated lumbering walrus-shaped Otter. Have to accept that I actually LOOK like that. I'm only 4'11", but I can lumber with the best of them.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick