Page 79 of 704 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179579 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 79

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Grandmother Friend crossed her horizon this morning; I hope that she has opened her eyes to some brilliant new dawn.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry for your loss Panda (and Lady Friend)! I am glad the waiting is over, though, and your life can go on. Being Thanksgiving, be thankful for the wonder and Love she brought to your life!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member
    I so proud of you for standing up to him panda, well done. I'm so sorry for the loss of Grandmother friend.
    Old Man Pickle was put down on Wednesday. I just know they're both happy now.
    Grandmother friend will be young and healthy, doing everything she loved in her favourite kind of place.
    Old Man Pickle is now Young Lad Angel Pickle, has been reunited with his brother Soldier Boy Angel Pippin, and they're bounding over lushious sunflower fields, chewing on cardboard rolls the size of houses and nommin upon sunflower seeds.

I thought of you and Grandmother friend while we were burying him. I sat down with his little gerbly body in a field while I was bringing him home so I had a chance to talk to him before I said goodbye. I told him if Grandmother Friend joins him and Pippin soon, they'll be her friends. The pair of them were the friendiest gerbils I ever knew so I know the three of them will be having fun together =']
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Vale Grandmother Friend. Sympathies and warm wishes to those who loved you.
    xo

Gay Panda is drowning the panda sorrows in a Massive Mashed Potatoes Binge tonight.

I know that there are far worse things to be drowning within, such as an entire pizza, or a pint of Ben and Jerry’s Cake Batter ice cream, or twenty shots of tequila, but those things will make me physically sick on top of the emotionally sick that already exists. Tomorrow is the funeral. Dried mangoes also mysteriously fell into my (swine flu ridden) cart at Whole Foods an hour ago. I should not be eating either of these things, but I am.

I have not weighed myself in a week, and I am frightened to start up again. Tomorrow I’m not going to bother, and since there will be a cornucopia of carbohydrate foods afterwards, I’ll just do the best I can and not torture myself with weighing Monday. But on Tuesday, I have to get back to business. I bought pants days ago, and as I stood in the dressing room scrutinizing the panda form, my first thought was YIKES. Oh, the panda belly. You have got to go.

It’s just a scale, and it should not engender such fear. I managed fairly well with food under the circumstances of the last few weeks, but Thanksgiving got in the way and there was a Happenstance of Pie and Potatoes. There was also a bite of flavorless bread, and the lack of flavor helped to stop me from having a second. None of these offenses are egregious, but the scale may show an egregious result. The important thing, though, is that no matter what it shows, no matter how bad, my response is not to say f*ck it and drive to the ice cream store. I just have to start again.

But first, the funeral, and Valhalla help me if Grandpa Simpson is doing the eulogy. He also did the eulogy at Grandfather Friend’s funeral, and it was full of long, boring stories that went absolutely nowhere at all. Some of the stories were more about him than the deceased, and occasionally he consulted the sobbing family to clarify points of his stories while he stood at the podium*. Gay Panda sat there wanting to remember Grandfather Friend and what a very nice man he was, and instead sat there bored out of the panda skull by these long, boring stories that went absolutely nowhere at all.

Because Grandpa Simpson cannot resist the spotlight, it is safe to say that he will speak tomorrow. For a very long time, with a variety of long, boring stories that go absolutely nowhere at all (more about himself than Grandmother Friend), and he will be consulting the sobbing family to clarify points of his stories while he stands at the podium. Gay Panda will be bored and frustrated with him for being so needy and desperate for attention, and the minutes will tick on and on and on.

I do not want to be insensitive, because he has not had the easiest life. But that’s true of a lot of us, and we’re not hijacking other people’s deathbeds and funerals to demand attention. Tomorrow is about being sad for the loss of Grandmother Friend, not being irritated with Grandpa Simpson. But I am going to be irritated, and after the funeral, as we gather at the house, he will do exactly what he did last time and solicit us for our opinions of his eulogy. He wants compliments.

I don’t know if I’m eating these potatoes more out of grief or preemptive irritation right now. But I have to stop. I hope that when I weigh on Tuesday, I haven’t gone back over 190. Progress is so easily wiped out in the weight loss game. But even if I’m over 190, it can be fixed. One of the last things that Grandmother Friend ever said to me was that she truly admired how I’ve lost weight this year, and I’d like to keep making her proud wherever it is that she’s gone.

So the Panda Show should return sometime next week, and in the interim, if you would care to, please leave me a description of YOUR most annoying family member. And also, how you deal with them. I need a better strategy than potatoes.

UPDATE: (in explanation of *)

Dear Grandpa Simpson,

It does not MATTER if one of your long, boring stories that goes absolutely nowhere at all happened to take place in June of 1963 or June of 1964. Or maybe it was 1965. You are giving a eulogy. PLEASE do not stop telling your story to debate the year out loud, and then turn to the sobbing family to ask if they know. The year is utterly trivial and beside the point. Also, do not stop talking about the deceased to inform us that a member of the audience is a war hero. This has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

In other words, please don’t do tomorrow what you did in March at the last funeral.

Sincerely,
    Gay Panda

Dearest Gay Panda,

I am so sorry for the loss that you have had to suffer. I too, lost someone, when i was 14. It affects me to this day. The weight you may gain from the stress of everything, and the foods you may seek for comfort, is understandable. Do not beat yourself up for any of this. When you are ready, jump back on board. I imagine that Grandmother Friend cares more that you are being healthy, and really couldn't give a #%& about the numbers on your scale. I also know that all of us care about you, and your health. So please take care!

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Can you perhaps subtly insert earplugs during the Grandpa Simpson portion of the proceedings, to distance yourself from the cross-making and needy ramblings, and instead use that quiet time to reflect on happy memories of Grandmother Friend?

Don't worry about scales and potatoes and panda belly size for a little while - you don't need the additional stress. Just be understanding and kind to yourself, get through this difficult time as best you can, and when you're ready you can get back on track. Remember, it's all about direction not perfection. I'm sure you'll soon get your mojo back and continue making Grandmother Friend proud.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Gay Panda, I'm so sorry for your loss! There are a lot worse things than potatoes and you'll probably find you can't even consume as many as you used to. When you're with the friends and loved ones celebrating Grandma Friend, I hope you can tell the stories that you told us. I'm sure they would mean even more to her friends and family!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick