Page 628 of 704 FirstFirst ... 128528578618626627628629630638678 ... LastLast
Results 6,271 to 6,280 of 7031

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 628

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I tried to read the first book twice and failed both times because I found it so awful... but never went on Amazon and rated it badly.

I'm a good person.

No book over 300 pages is good?
    What?
    The mind BOGGLES!!!
    The review was just bonkers. I've loved so many books that were well over 300 pages. What bizarre criteria for gauging a book's worth!

I got through Twilight and was so frustrated by it. The author is not devoid of talent - she had a few twists of phrase that I really enjoyed. But then she would sink back into the endless repetitions of how gorgeous Edward was and I wanted to scream YOU ARE CAPABLE OF MORE THAN THIS. I JUST SAW IT ON THAT OTHER PAGE!

When I get bad reviews on my books, I read bad reviews belonging to other authors to make myself feel better.

Even better! Twilight got a one-star review by a woman who claims the evil in the book 'possessed' her teenaged daughter.

Um..........

And this other reviewer feels cheated, since she went to the actual Forks and there's nothing there!!!

Was she expecting vampires?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I don't "rate" books mostly because I think it's just personal.

I HATED Twilight. Really... I just couldn't get through it and I thought that that would never happen to me.
    I mean, I hated Melville's stupid whale too and I made it through that monumental paperweight.
    But at least Melville inspired some feeling in me... true vitriol for Ahab, and a near equal hate for Ishmael for his going on, and on, and on about knots and crap no one even cares about. In the end all I want was for that beautiful white whale KILL EVERYONE!!!
    With Twilight I just couldn't connect with anyone enough to bother turning the page again... It was "gah, you're bland and whiny and dumb... really, this again..."
    I never even thought "I'm done" or "I quit". At some point I just stopped reading it and left the book laying somewhere forgotten.
    To me that is the worst sort of fate for a book.
    Even a REALLY bad book will keep my interest on some level, because at some point I'm all "you gotta be kidding me, what next". I've read some really bad trashy romance that way.

And I read stuff that most people avoid because I actually enjoy it... like poetry and Tolstoy, Joyce(though I haven't tried to tackle the Wake yet), Faulkner, Ginsburg, and and of course Marcel Proust the floweriest an verbose-est of silly Frenchmen.
    Many people would read some of the stuff on my shelf and look at me like I have two heads.
    Especially some of the erotica!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Ahhh...

So many 'SPECIAL' people in the world.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

I think you nailed it when you said it was a connection problem. I could not connect with the main characters at all, so I didn't care what happened to them. I just read it so I could tally up how many times Bella cried since my friend dared me to do it. The author presented Bella as the quintessential overlooked girl and then she comes to Forks and ZOW! She's so popular! All the guys want to date her! All the girls want to hang out with her!

And I wonder about the author in her own high school experience - was she the overlooked girl and this series was a wish fulfillment? Or was she in the popular crowd and is trying to imagine what it is like to be overlooked?

Sounds more like a wish fulfillment trope really... because she had the bland part down pat, but the being "popular and cool" part not so much.

That all just seemed really weird.
    Especially since she handled it by basically becoming a co-dependent nut case with the first guy who stalks her.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Speaking of erotica, I was reading a Look Inside of a naughty book the other day and ran into this description: 'her breasts were like small countries'.

Is this erotic to you? It just seems awkward to me, and I wondered if that made her nipples the capitols of these countries.

Noo... now I'm thinking of ants at my picnic.

Not erotic.

Unless maybe it was some weird fetish erotica. LOL
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

It is bedtime. I can read no more of these reviews, although one was truly wonderful. It stated that a magical creature who sparkles and refuses to drink human blood is not a vampire. It is a PIXIE.

LOL.