Page 511 of 703 FirstFirst ... 11411461501509510511512513521561611 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,110 of 7028

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 511

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    *maddashthroughjournal* DONEDONEDONE with Sigils trilogy!!!

I guess that means I should get on the treadmill.

Hmm. Maybe Sigils still needs work.

And to the dick who is stealing the Netflix from my mailbox, the joke is on you. I just cancelled the service. So enjoy your last disc, jackass.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    mmmm. chicken soup! I hope you feel better Cori.

Panda, your pictures cracked me up! Love it. I about lost it when I saw that slide. lol
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

That slide is the greatest thing ever! We need one in every park.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    As a kid, there was a park near my grandparents' house with one of the oddest pieces of equipment I've seen yet. It was a giraffe with climbing handles going up the neck and an honest to god climbing rope for a tail (probably a large part of the reason the giraffe got removed in the renovation.) I'll hafta try and dig up a photo of it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

There was an honest-to-Valhalla giant hamster wheel for children in my nursery school playground, made out of splintered wood and painted green. We packed into it and ran as fast as we could inside, inevitably stumbling and being thrown head-over-heels until we either fell out or knocked over the kids still running. As I recall, it was also removed.

I still miss that thing.

And then I have to compare it to when I started teaching. This school insisted on SAFETY FIRST!!! The children were not allowed to run on the playground because they might fall down. Right. I hated that ridiculous rule. All through recess, the kindergarten teachers blew whistles and screamed WALK at the students.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    My youngest sister's preschool was like that. No twisty slides, no running, foam instead of gravel, padded everything, nothing more than 5' tall. No wonder she always begged mom to take us to the REAL park across the street when we picked her up.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Maybe it's just a me thing, but I tend to get MORE injured in padded rooms than out of them. Torn ACL, multiple ankle twists and at least one sprain . . . Oh- and busting a collarbone coming off a horse that was traumatized by me falling off! (I still feel bad for that one. Poor Pete.)
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

The always-safety playground debate is interesting. We had a climbing structure at my school, which felt perilously high to me at the top and made me extra careful while I was up there. There was one bad fall from that structure (resulting in a broken arm) in all of the many years I was at that school. The rest of us knew better than to climb to the top and push each other or try to jump. We thought that kid was an idiot (I don't remember what he decided to do up there that resulted in his fall, except that it was moronic). I doubt that structure is still in the playground, which is a shame since hundreds of us scaled it without mishap.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Interestingly, recent research shows that kids who are not allowed to explore less-than-safe environments display more risk-taking behaviour later on, when they have a greater capacity for self-harm.

That is, if you don't let your kid play on rocks and tall play structures, when she/he is 16, she/he will take your car out and wrap it around a telephone poll just to see what happens.

Dangerous play in childhood is what develops the physical side of common sense. Science provides a LOT more evidence for that, than for restrictions providing any benefit, safety-wise or otherwise.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spughy View Post
    Interestingly, recent research shows that kids who are not allowed to explore less-than-safe environments display more risk-taking behaviour later on, when they have a greater capacity for self-harm.

That is, if you don't let your kid play on rocks and tall play structures, when she/he is 16, she/he will take your car out and wrap it around a telephone poll just to see what happens.

Dangerous play in childhood is what develops the physical side of common sense. Science provides a LOT more evidence for that, than for restrictions providing any benefit, safety-wise or otherwise.
    The problem is that people are sue-happy and will sue the school for not better protecting little Johnny from that fall of the swing.

If people would stop suing, our kids could probably learn for themselves how not to get hurt.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)