Page 431 of 717 FirstFirst ... 331381421429430431432433441481531 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,310 of 7164

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 431

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I read King starting in maybe 6th grade (that's about when I found his shelf in the public library)... and read everything he had written at the time up to IT by 7th... then I was kind of done with him and I moved on to bigger fish. Plus... I had read it all. IT was his newest book at the time... I read it during school, cuz I was a rebel like that.

That said... The Stand is a pretty great story IMO. I re-red it when it was re-released "uncut" in the 90's.
    But yes, King is "horror" doritos.
    Even though I read his books pretty young, they never scared me, but horror movies never really got me either... except those things like Cape Fear where real monsters lurk.
    I think that maybe I have too much experience for straight horror to make me afraid.
    My own mind is full of much darker stuff than most horror is made of, even though I try to keep it in the basement.
    I went through a King phase not too long ago actually. I read a bunch of them, not all, but most. I liked The Green Mile just because of the weird way it was written in installments. It makes the sharp turns in the story make more sense.
    Anyway, by far the most terrifying thing he ever wrote was Pet Sematary. Not because of the cemetery but because we live on a very very busy highway and like naiad said it's not about what he writes, it's about what we make it in our minds. I don't freak out over my kids doing anything in the backyard; but the thought of one meandering toward the highway makes me physically sick. Reading it wreaked havoc on my mind.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Lady Friend is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    Oh yeah? You're not the only one with techie skills, Lady Friend!

::: flicks switch to reinstate circuit and CREATE LIGHT :::

Electrons, I am thy master.
    Paw-shaw, you looked that up on the Internetz.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spughy View Post
    I've never read any Stephen King. I've never been into horror, either film or books - although some of the fantasy & sci-fi I've read has been pretty dark. But he has a fantasy series, doesn't he? Should I read it?
    The Dark Towers is awesome! Love it. I started reading book number 4.5 (which was just released) and it made me want to crack the first book all over again. It's a 7 (now 8) book series.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Most of King's stuff is paranormal or sci-fi based rather than slasher horror stuff. He has a lot of mystical stuff that takes place - people with telekenetic powers (Carrie, Firestarter, The Stand, Sleepwalkers), fantasy (Eyes of the Dragon, The Dark Tower Series), paranormal (Bag of Bones, Pet Semetary), and some horror based stuff with slashers (The Shining). I like his short stories too. The most recent short stories (Full Dark, No Stars) is very dark and full of murder.

Personally, I like his writing. I've enjoyed almost everything I've read (I enjoyed Under the Dome til the end b/c the ending to me was absolutely stupid and I think he just gave up and ended it just to end it), but there is one book I haven't been able to get into (Desperation) though I've tried.

Hearts in Atlantis, Regulators are fantasy/paranormal based too.
    Gerald's Game is interesting... not sure how to classify that one other than calling it a thriller. He's got quite a few thrillers.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Gerald's Game is interesting... not sure how to classify that one other than calling it a thriller. He's got quite a few thrillers.
    I always chuckled at the short, fat, bald Gerald in the book until I started working for a guy name Gerald who was short...fat...bald...made me wonder what kind of kinky stuff he was in to.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Here ya go...
    The Dark Tower (series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I haven't read it so I can't give an opinion on it...
    It's decent. I'd say that up to Wizard and Glass, it's actually very, very good, and decreases in quality from there. I swear the quality of the Dark Tower series directly coincides with his attempts to sober up.

A new book (The Wind Through the Keyhole) in the series came out this year, and I haven't had a chance to read it. It's shoehorned between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. I actually like how the series as a whole ended -- it felt right -- but the way it got there was dubious at best, and eyerollingly bad at worst, with random villains showing up whose only purpose seemed to be to give a meaningful death to an Important Character. Except that I had no attachment to the villain, so that death...not so meaningful.

But Drawing of the Three is one of my favorite books of all time, and Roland and Eddie are two of my favorite literary characters of all time. I listened to the Gunslinger on a drive to and from Chicago/St. Louis. It makes excellent driving material.

Lilyheart is offline Senior Member
    Can I hijack your thread Panda? I was wondering if you had a reader that was familiar with renaissance faire/renaissance era clothing and could PM me so I don't clog up your thread? I'm having trouble shopping.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeVynn View Post
    I just got to this posting (page 131), and immediately went and found this book on B&N... and, it is now on my Nook! I adore Gay Panda musings, and cannot wait until I'm all caught up. However, I couldn't wait to avail myself of the GP Book as soon as I found out who/what/where!

Okay, back to reading my way through this incredible journal...
    Hi RaeVynn!!! I hope you enjoy the book!

And I also hope my laptop doesn't freeze so I can post this . . . the Panda Computer always gets fussy and unpredictable during Lady Friend's Eight-Hour-Long Magical Back-Up Spells. (I told you that eye of newt is expired, Lady Friend!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lilyheart View Post
    Can I hijack your thread Panda? I was wondering if you had a reader that was familiar with renaissance faire/renaissance era clothing and could PM me so I don't clog up your thread? I'm having trouble shopping.
    naiadknight is very familiar with renaissance stuff.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay, I'm up to page 195 (post #1950), but I just had to pause to tell you that I couldn't resist: I've grabbed "Mother's Little Helpers" from B&N for my Nook.

I'm reading through this journal as fast as I can... while savoring all the GP wittiness! By the time I've caught up.... well, I feel like I know you already.