Page 353 of 717 FirstFirst ... 253303343351352353354355363403453 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,530 of 7164

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 353

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Hunger Games Spoilers ahead....
    I think you've hit it on the head. I was trying to articulate that, I think. Yeah, let's save the beautiful mountain, blah blah blah. Plus, the "war zone" has just random folks walking in and out trying to go about their daily lives. Are you telling me that they're that stupid?
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    I think you've hit it on the head. I was trying to articulate that, I think. Yeah, let's save the beautiful mountain, blah blah blah. Plus, the "war zone" has just random folks walking in and out trying to go about their daily lives. Are you telling me that they're that stupid?
    Exactly. It was like...oh, look going to the store...this is nice....OMFG THE ENTIRE REBEL ARMY IS HERE WITH NO WARNING!!!!1

*insert crossfire here*

death, death, death, Some how Katniss and crew survive, death, death...

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Now see, I found Katniss to be very, very logical. She did what HAD to be done to take care of hers because with a dead father and a flaked out mother, she didn't have time to learn how to handle emotions. Initially, hooking up with Peta was a logical move, but I got the feeling that he introduced her to being able to be more than just logical.

I guess it is easy to view extreme logic as mild sociopathy, but a sociopath wouldn't have given the little girl a flower wreath. She had no idea of the impact that would have when she did it. She was just trying to mourn for what should have been a friend.

But, yeah, the third one could use a re-do.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

canio6 Guest
    Oh, I get logical too, but logical can often be cold and calculating. And cold and calculating and logical says you lose far less people trapping all the enemy in a building and letting them starve to death. Logical does not suddenly decide that you are better than that and letting them all run out to hopefully surrender and not start shooting all your friends.

That's the flaw with logical. If you're introduced to emotions but don't know how to balance the two, then you start making silly decisions like hoping people will surrender and come to their senses instead of just getting rid of them and starting over
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    That's the flaw with logical. If you're introduced to emotions but don't know how to balance the two, then you start making silly decisions like hoping people will surrender and come to their senses instead of just getting rid of them and starting over
    Perhaps. I honestly think the author wanted it both ways - Logical but not too much. I honestly liked Katniss. It made sense to me that a girl with a dead father, an adsentee mother (emotionally/needs wise), with no food and little prospects who has to take on the provider role would be cold and logical. It is survival. However, that doesn't necessarily play up well with the current teen crowd. So she had to make her more 'human' for lack of a better word. She could not go as far as Gail or Coin (was taht the District 13 chick's name?) and commit sensible, logical, but really not nice acts of war. She had to have something that people could relate too empathically.

You're probably right. A bigger audience if she plays to both sides and all. I guess not many of us will identify more with her logic than her compassion

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    I guess not many of us will identify more with her logic than her compassion
    I think Orson Scott Card handled it better (the logic/compassion divide) with his character Ender. I couldn't put that book down, whereas Hunger Games I wandered away from pretty quickly.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    I think Orson Scott Card handled it better (the logic/compassion divide) with his character Ender. I couldn't put that book down, whereas Hunger Games I wandered away from pretty quickly.
    I can see that though the Ender series bugged me for other reasons. Apparently I am never happy

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I can see that though the Ender series bugged me for other reasons. Apparently I am never happy
    I should have clarified. I loved Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, but some of the others lost me and I never finished the series.

I'm sure I could write something more intelligent than just that, but I've got Ke$ha playing in the background and siphoning my IQ.