Page 336 of 717 FirstFirst ... 236286326334335336337338346386436 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,360 of 7164

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 336

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Yeah canio, pretty sure you wouldn't like them from what I've read on your tastes =P I, however, do enjoy old films, mostly for how silly they seem, but sometimes also for clever story-telling that I feel is often missing in modern film. One could make an argument that early films were more interested in the artistry and modern films are more about the $$. But then again, who wouldn't want to cash in on such a lucrative growing business as Hollywood back in the '30s?
    I appreciate good story telling and artistry as much as the next guy and much modern cinema and writing is crap. I just do not subscribe to the idea that just because something was a great in its time that this makes it great now. The first automobile may have huge historical significance and have been vastly superior to a horse and buggy (not saying it was this is just an example) but if someone said to you today, "Okay, you can have this car which only comes in black, has no safety features, a top speed of 20 mph, and no shock absorbers or a brand new mustang/accord/lexus/whatever" I am thinking the vast majority of people will take the vehicle that performs better.

I'm the same with books and movies. Yes, it may have been the first of its kind, it may have important historical significance, it might have been a milestone in film/literature/women's rights/blah blah and I appreciate that but today it kind of tops out at 20 and drinks gas like no tomorrow.

Edit: in the car example I do not mean an actual real worth bank 1st car. Obviously I would take a 1st/1st Wizard of Earthsea over a better read mass marketed paperback on $ value. I am speaking of performance value in the example.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I think that's how Boyfriend feels about The Beatles =P
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I think that's how Boyfriend feels about The Beatles =P
    Oh, I am a total hypocrite when it comes to music. I love Renaissance music, which bores most people to death, because I love the historical aspect of it and find it has its own beauty, which I think gets lost in more modern music (modern being 18th/19th century). I just can't find the same satisfaction in writing for some reason.

As for the Beatles, yeah, I like some of their stuff. Of course, SGT Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band uses a Renaissance tune as its base so they are okay with me

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Canio, I agree with you at least on the Renaissance music having a unique beauty, particularly English Renaissance lute songs. They are lovely both to listen to and to sing.

Also, I think on writing, there's a huge difference between reading popular novels of a particular era and reading the great works of literature from that period.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I can see both sides of this argument: some movies, music, literature has an enduring "newness" to it or relevancy that cannot be improved. Literature is news that stays news. -Ezra Pound. Far too many examples to enumerate, far too many personal proclivities to bore you with.

WRT to film specifically, I think there was a learning curve in quality where certain technical limitations inhibit the fullness of appreciation now that might have been the case say pre-1939, or ca. Wizard of Oz. You get to Lawrence of Arabia and it's still politically relevant, a compelling story, as gorgeous a piece of cinematography as anything today, great war scenes, an entrancing soundtrack composition, and an hypnotic lead actor. Time has not tarnished. I think some of the Beatles finest songs sound much more modern and relevant than some of the mopey and downright boring shit today.

Renaissance music is very nice, but I guess I'm a little more modern than you two. I prefer baroque.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Also, I think on writing, there's a huge difference between reading popular novels of a particular era and reading the great works of literature from that period.
    Agreed. Great literature is great for a reason. Though I admit to not loving all of it, I can appreciate it for what it is.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Renaissance music is very nice, but I guess I'm a little more modern than you two. I prefer baroque.
    Yes, but then you get into the big Bach/Handel debate and things get ugly

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Agreed. Great literature is great for a reason. Though I admit to not loving all of it, I can appreciate it for what it is.
    I'd rather hack my own arm off 27hours style than ever set eye on the pages of Moby Dick again!
    I LOATHE that book. It's horrid in every possible way. Literary masterpiece my ass. I'm glad that whale killed everyone.

That said... I generally LOVE Lit.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I'd rather hack my own arm off 27hours style than ever set eye on the pages of Moby Dick again!
    I LOATHE that book. It's horrid in every possible way. Literary masterpiece my ass. I'm glad that whale killed everyone.

That said... I generally LOVE Lit.
    Ah, but you see if it were anything less it wouldn't have gotten such a strong reaction from you (I need to try it again, now that I'm old enough to really understand it) I mean- Twilight will fade into anonymity (please, please, praise Diety make it fade) because it's NOT going to inspire such loathing. Oh. Wait. Nevermind.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula