Page 335 of 704 FirstFirst ... 235285325333334335336337345385435 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,350 of 7031

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 335

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Ooo ooo I know!

Earthsea!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Gwynn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Ooo ooo I know!

Earthsea!
    Namelesswonder,

I <3 you!! You are correct! What do you think about them? Like I said, I haven't read them since high school.

Gwynn

I really liked the main character for the first book (the main wizard dude), but was not really blown away by the others. I kind of felt that I was being beaten over the head by discussions of feminism in the later books. I realize Ursula Leguin is kind of a big name in making feminism OKAY in fantasy literature, but maybe that is why it felt so unnecessary to me now (they were written during the start of second-wave feminism I think), like OKAY do you have to make it such a big deal that there is an obvious disparity between gendered magics? I realize my feelings on this are not popular ones however and I feel that most fantasy readers would enjoy the series.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I laugh at the Vampire Diaries obsessions now. I read those books in Jr High (something like 18 years ago!) and now they're like this huge crazy thing on tv.

My tv obsession is HGTV, Hoarders and other shows about hoarders, and shows on USA like Suits and that show with Michael Westin as the main character (can't remember the name). Also tend to watch Justified on FX when it's in season. Other things DH and I watch are Swamp People, Mud Cats, Wilderness Men, and other such garbage.

Eclectic.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    GP, take care of that cold (by that I mean, get rid of it). I lived with Cough for 4 weeks (still helping him pack) and in return for my generosity, he pulled one of my rib muscles. That's when I decided to evict. Can't yawn, sigh, cough or sneeze without agonizing pain. Rolling over in bed, laying down in bed, getting out of bed - all hopeless efforts b/c the pain is too great. And I tear up when my kids climb on my chest. Of course, Dr. couldn't palpate the area to ensure it was just muscular damage b/c the precise area of excruciating pain is under breast tissue so she couldn't reach my ribs.

Ribs suck... who needs 'em anyway?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Namelesswonder,

I <3 you!! You are correct! What do you think about them? Like I said, I haven't read them since high school.

Gwynn
    I read the first one and was unimpressed. I can understand why it might have been good back in the day (setting foundations etc) but it didn't do much for me. It is kind of like watching a movie from the 1930s...yes, for the day it was ground breaking, yes, it was the first to use blah technique, sure it had whatever, but now all movies have that and while I appreciate that someone did it first, we've progressed since then. I felt like I had read the book, only better, 10 times or so elsewhere.

Also, after reading nameless's post, I am glad I skipped the rest.

Yeah canio, pretty sure you wouldn't like them from what I've read on your tastes =P I, however, do enjoy old films, mostly for how silly they seem, but sometimes also for clever story-telling that I feel is often missing in modern film. One could make an argument that early films were more interested in the artistry and modern films are more about the $$. But then again, who wouldn't want to cash in on such a lucrative growing business as Hollywood back in the '30s?

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I really liked the main character for the first book (the main wizard dude), but was not really blown away by the others. I kind of felt that I was being beaten over the head by discussions of feminism in the later books. I realize Ursula Leguin is kind of a big name in making feminism OKAY in fantasy literature, but maybe that is why it felt so unnecessary to me now (they were written during the start of second-wave feminism I think), like OKAY do you have to make it such a big deal that there is an obvious disparity between gendered magics? I realize my feelings on this are not popular ones however and I feel that most fantasy readers would enjoy the series.
    Thank you! I looked them up on Amazon. They were first written in 1968. I read them in '77, maybe '78. I don't remember the feminism aspect; but I am sure I wasn't analyzing them that deeply then.

It would be interesting to go back and re-read them from a (slightly) older perspective.:P

Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I read the first one and was unimpressed. I can understand why it might have been good back in the day (setting foundations etc) but it didn't do much for me. It is kind of like watching a movie from the 1930s...yes, for the day it was ground breaking, yes, it was the first to use blah technique, sure it had whatever, but now all movies have that and while I appreciate that someone did it first, we've progressed since then. I felt like I had read the book, only better, 10 times or so elsewhere.

Also, after reading nameless's post, I am glad I skipped the rest.
    I read these on the heels of The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings. I don't remember being disappointed with them as such, just feeling like nothing can compare to Tolkien.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieCaleña View Post
    Panda please accept my application to be the panda body guard, I will gladly push the swine flu cart at wholefoods just to bask in your presence. Below will be my official head dress (I haven't uploaded a picture to a thread before so I hope that worked!)
    Attachment 7846
    There is so much WIN in this pink paper wig I don't even know where to start...
    The fact that it appears to be displayed on top of a bottle previously containing alcohol just adds to the WIN!
    I declare you awesome.

I need this.
    Must find paper wig tutorial.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.