Page 323 of 703 FirstFirst ... 223273313321322323324325333373423 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,230 of 7028

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 323

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Ill have t take a picture next time I make Hot Chocolate... I use lots of raw chocolate & whipping cream and Just looking at it could give you Chocolate overload
    yes please!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    *wanders into kitchen to make hot chocolate*

I think I had something meaningful to say about peer reviewed research vs. internet anecdotes, but then the chocolate photo interacted with my ladytime brain. I hear vanadium is good for that, though.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I think I had something meaningful to say about peer reviewed research vs. internet anecdotes, but then the chocolate photo interacted with my ladytime brain.
    Did you remember what meaningful statement you intended to make? Damn you, ladytime brain! * shakes fist *

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Have you seen the hot chocolate made from Nutella...
    Yeah, I made the mistake of trying that... I think I gained 6lbs that week!
    I had this problem when I discovered I actually prefer full-fat coconut milk to cow milk for making hot chocolate. It's like drinking a chocolate bar. It was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    Did you remember what meaningful statement you intended to make? Damn you, ladytime brain! * shakes fist *
    I think it was something like:

There's a reason that proper scientific research takes a long time to go from initial investigations (such as in vitro testing on cells) to animal testing to human trials. We like to think that because someone on the internet has reported success with something, it's going to be the latest magical cure, but there are a lot of confounding factors.

First of all, disease has up and down trajectories. Very few conditions have a linear progression. It's hard in one subject to determine what is an improvement based on an intervention and what is simply coincidental (correlation does not equal causation!) because of variability in condition.

Secondly, many people try multiple interventions at once, making it hard to determine what's working and what are the confounding variables. So is the improvement from iodine based on the iodine, or from the other supplements people tend to take along with it? It's possible that better overall nutritional support is what is helping the person, or that another one of the things they are taking is actually the thing that helps.

Third, the placebo effect comes into play. Placebo is incredibly powerful, and the more drastic the treatment, the more credibility people are likely to give it, so the elaborate character of some of the iodine "protocols" may influence how people respond. Placebo effects aren't just people thinking they feel better--the power of placebo seems to actually be able to improve real physical health markers, and it's not entirely clear why (and I actually attribute *some* of the improvements people get from switching to primal to a similar effect).

Fourth, we don't know what the long term effects of some of these things might be. There are health risks to mega-dosing anything, and high doses of iodine aren't without risk (including potentially destroying thyroid function and causing thyroid cancer). Without good quality research that looks at longer term effects in a suitable sample size, it's hard to track what the outcomes of these iodine therapies might be, particularly when it comes to things like large localized doses to specific regions of the body.

Fifth, people may not seek proven treatments for an illness because they are led to believe that iodine will cure all. This may lead to people seeking treatment too late in situations where early treatment is critical.

I understand people trying things because they are tired of being unable to resolve health issues. I struggled for ages with a number of symptoms--arthritis, stomach pains, fatigue, rashes--before finally being diagnosed with celiac. But buying wholesale into claims made by a man with no medical training who is referencing CureZone (of all places!) and massively outdated medical texts is not a good way to resolve one's health issues. For example, skin patch testing has been shown to be meaningless in terms of the body's actual iodine levels since it actually mostly disappears through evaporation, not absorption, so the time for a patch to vanish is pretty irrelevant. The patch test is a good way to sell you iodine supplements, that's all.

I'm not saying don't look at iodine, but I am saying that one should go out and read real, credible research from peer-reviewed journals, and please be aware of the risks.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    And then there is also this:

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Gems from the Internet

This is a very special gem because IceBarbie is a graduate of our own iodine group and she is spreading the iodine gospel to others.

(long quote from elsewhere)

Hurray ! We have yet another evangelist preaching the WORD. From this tiny little iodine group BIG THINGS are growing.

Grizz
    This type of thing is more than a bit wonky... it's down right scary. Cultish.
    As is the dismissal of anyone who brings up any of the studies that have shown possible problems with the high doses of iodine.

I take a small dose if iodine myself... because I have no other source of it in my diet as I cannot consume salt, and haven't consumed iodized salt at home in YEARS anyway. When I could salt I ate some iodized salt from packaged foods I'm sure.
    And I do believe that some amount is good in the diet... thus the reason for iodized salt.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Oh, cori, absolutely, it's essential to have some iodine in the diet for health. Like many things, the dose is important, and too much is as bad as too little. I just worry that people are getting the idea that if some iodine is good, more is even better, and that worries me.

Owly's Journal

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Third, the placebo effect comes into play. Placebo is incredibly powerful, and the more drastic the treatment, the more credibility people are likely to give it, so the elaborate character of some of the iodine "protocols" may influence how people respond. Placebo effects aren't just people thinking they feel better--the power of placebo seems to actually be able to improve real physical health markers, and it's not entirely clear why (and I actually attribute *some* of the improvements people get from switching to primal to a similar effect).
    Have you read The Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton PhD? The burgeoning field of epigenetics provides an interesting perspective into how our beliefs can have a measureable effect on our physiology.

Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Have you read The Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton PhD? The burgeoning field of epigenetics provides an interesting perspective into how our beliefs can have a measureable effect on our physiology.
    I haven't, but I have a couple of friends who are geneticists, and we've had some really fascinating conversations about epigenetics. Very interesting stuff.

Owly's Journal

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Lady Friend assures me that I don't have swine flu, but I have SOMETHING which I am positive I caught from the cart at Whole Foods. You miserable cold, GO AWAY!!! Gay Panda has an art project to do (badly) and can't sketch with a running nose!