Page 302 of 715 FirstFirst ... 202252292300301302303304312352402 ... LastLast
Results 3,011 to 3,020 of 7150

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 302

canio6 Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Ok... THAT certainly qualifies as TMI and WTF!
    I haven't even read it and I think I may need brain bleach.
    Yeah, and as Owly said it was the level of detail. Hell, I have seen some pretty f*cked up shit, but yikes. I had to go watch 2girls 1 cup to feel less gross*

*not really but it was pretty much that bad.

Gay Panda is online now Senior Member
    * brain bleach for everyone *

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Iodine...I want to dip my balls in it!
    I can't pass up a chance to link The State. It's so rare that anyone remembers it.

And yeah, I have one person on Ignore on these forums. Guess who?

Gay Panda is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I'd far rather deal with Type 1 than Type 2. With the first kind, gentle editorial criticism works. With the second, you have to play all sorts of weird games to get them to fix things or re-write anything. Also, since I worked in non-fiction, I encountered a Type 3, which is the writer who is not a writer but is an expert on a particular area. They are frustrating because they don't really have writing chops, so you have to fix a ridiculous amount of stuff (sometimes almost re-writing sections--I should really have co-author credits on some of those books) while dealing with the minefield that is fact-checking someone who believes they are 100% right about everything they've said.

I also like supporting artists. I'm a creative person who has her own artistic outlets, but I have always liked some of that supporting role. I liked working as crew, directing, or doing publicity for theatre, I enjoyed being an editor, and I'm interviewing this week for a job with the local opera company. I don't need the leading role in everything.
    Good luck on the job interview!

I wonder what sort of game would have worked on Fruity Fairy. Once she wrote those three chapters destined to make her rich and famous, she sat me down in her apartment and read them out loud. (While laughing until she was literally crying at her own wit and genius.) When she was done and asked for my opinion, I learned very quickly that the only acceptable answer was the highest of praise. So maybe that's where an editor would have to start with her: "You're right, that's fantastic! I bet that we can make it even FANTASTICER!!!"

Type 3! I didn't think about this in terms of non-fiction. You should have credits on those books.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I can't pass up a chance to link The State. It's so rare that anyone remembers it.
    Yes, that is it! I loved that show.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    To be fair, many of my writers were wonderful people, and I am still in touch with some of them today.

But yes, the "This is awesome! Let's make it even more awesome!" actually works well on both Type 1 and Type 2 writers. For Type 1, it boosts their confidence and lets them know that editorial direction is meant to help their book be even better and is not a condemnation of their skills. For Type 2, it avoids ego clashes. Also, it helps as an editor to be able to let go of your ego a bit and pretend to be stupid sometimes--if you pretend like you don't understand something, it works with Type 2 and 3 to get them to fix things for their poor idiot editor.

Like I said, being a therapist for neurotic writers. It's amazing how something that seems like such a solitary, behind-the-scenes job actually requires some very nuanced people skills.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Like I said, being a therapist for neurotic writers. It's amazing how something that seems like such a solitary, behind-the-scenes job actually requires some very nuanced people skills.
    I haven't had an editor ask me to change a story in years. I must just be that awesome. ::/preen::

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea who y'all are talking about and as such I will avoid the Iodine thread to keep from getting creeped.

I have also stopped taking iodine.

Did you know that if you have hypothyroiditis and that hypothyroiditis is caused by hashimoto's disease, you are actually poisoning yourself by taking iodine supplements? I asked a friend with Hashimoto's yesterday if iodine supplementation would help her and she flew off the handle about how dangerous that is. Just a bit of a warning for ya.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

canio6 Guest
    I haven't had an editor ask me to change a story in years. I must just be that awesome. ::/preen::
    LOL nice.

btw congrats on your impending doom, uh, child I hope all goes well

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Lol! You are obviously amazing!

I should be clear that my experience is all on the non-fiction side of the world. Editing fiction is a whole other game.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal