Page 301 of 699 FirstFirst ... 201251291299300301302303311351401 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,010 of 6989

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 301

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Well intentioned I am sure but way too freaking single minded and intense. It's like Iodine is lord and he is its prophet. Screw that.
    He creeps me the f*ck out. Every time a woman posts a thread about some sort of feminine issue, you can guarantee he's in there saying creepy things about how he's curious about what we put in our hoo-haas or whatever. It's disturbing, and it's gotten to the point that I'm considering blocking him because it makes my skin crawl to read some of that stuff. I can't believe the people who flock around him thinking he's some sort of health guru when to me he's clearly a creepy old dude who's got himself an audience because of the iodine thing and is liking it far too much.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    He creeps me the f*ck out. Every time a woman posts a thread about some sort of feminine issue, you can guarantee he's in there saying creepy things about how he's curious about what we put in our hoo-haas or whatever. It's disturbing, and it's gotten to the point that I'm considering blocking him because it makes my skin crawl to read some of that stuff. I can't believe the people who flock around him thinking he's some sort of health guru when to me he's clearly a creepy old dude who's got himself an audience because of the iodine thing and is liking it far too much.
    Stay out of my mind! This is pretty much 100% how I feel. I am generally very open minded when it comes to the subject of sex, because frankly I do not care what someone does in their bedroom but yeah, he totally skeeves me out. I recall reading his first sexual encounter and am still slightly ill when thinking about it.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    need some help with that paint brush? Remember, long slow strokes... *thoughtful pause*
    booooinnnnngggggg!
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

You know why the Army sent Capt. Willard in to take out Col. Kurtz in Apocalypse Now? He got all those villagers to think he was some kind of god talking to them about iodine. You can't be going off script like that, you know, telling the great gospel of iodine. Army don't like that.

And no, I am not wearing a foil hat. It's a myth that they can steal your thoughts right out of your head... as long as you supplement with iodine.

Iodine is also implicated in a few other nasty episodes, fictional and non-fictional, including Area 57, the JFK and RFK assassinations, Super Bowl XXX, Donald Trump's hair, the words to Louie, Louie, the Church of the Subgenius, secret messages in Mad magazine from 1971-1976, the Tunguska Explosion in Siberia (1908), codes from the footnotes in House of Leaves, Sarah Palin, viruses from outer space, and a few hundred other things I can't begin to explain now. Mostly because they're watching my every move.

As long as I have iodine, I'm safe. I think. But can I trust the iodine, or have "they" gotten to it, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    I love this.

It's so very easy to be neurotic about writing. When I was bussing tables, I either did it correctly or I didn't. It wasn't subjective. It was the same when I was a musician. The audience might have criticized me for playing with little emotion, but I either hit the right notes or missed them. Writing is a very different game, and Lady Friend has told me many times to stop being neurotic about my work. (Am I any better after so many books, Lady Friend? I hope I am.)

What kind of personalities did you see as an editor? I don't know that many writers, but I noticed two distinct types.

Type 1: Like Gay Panda and most others I've met, this writer is sad that someone could dislike the work-in-progress, and terrified that it might not be possible to make it better. Some books just don't work and you can't save them. It also would be nice if first drafts could be perfect, but they are not. Your first draft sucks. Your second draft will be better. Your tenth might be great. This, however, is hard to remember/accept when you're caught up in the rawness of the first. Your feelings are easily hurt, and when a beta reader says, "I like this, BUT-" your heart plunges into the pit of your stomach.

Type 2: Like Fruity Fairy and Three Things I Do Well (has she appeared in this journal yet?), this writer is ENRAGED that someone could dislike the work-in-progress. What the hell is wrong with you? Can't you recognize staggering genius when it lands in your lap? Fruity Fairy (who wrote fantasy) decided to only write the first three chapters of her novel and blitz-query editors, confident that they would be blown away by her brilliance and offer a six-figure advance for her to finish the book. This writer believes, nay, KNOWS that this first draft is sheer gold, and nothing will ever convince him/her otherwise. EVER!!!
    I'd far rather deal with Type 1 than Type 2. With the first kind, gentle editorial criticism works. With the second, you have to play all sorts of weird games to get them to fix things or re-write anything. Also, since I worked in non-fiction, I encountered a Type 3, which is the writer who is not a writer but is an expert on a particular area. They are frustrating because they don't really have writing chops, so you have to fix a ridiculous amount of stuff (sometimes almost re-writing sections--I should really have co-author credits on some of those books) while dealing with the minefield that is fact-checking someone who believes they are 100% right about everything they've said.

On the other hand, I really loved it. Editing (of the substantive kind, not proofreading) is sort of like climbing into the middle of a book and looking at its structure from the inside, and when I'm in the zone, it's actually a really magical, almost zen process. It's hard to explain how it works in my head, but it's really cool. Too bad it doesn't tend to pay a living wage these days. It's all being contracted out to freelancers who work for a pittance.

I also like supporting artists. I'm a creative person who has her own artistic outlets, but I have always liked some of that supporting role. I liked working as crew, directing, or doing publicity for theatre, I enjoyed being an editor, and I'm interviewing this week for a job with the local opera company. I don't need the leading role in everything.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    but yeah, he totally skeeves me out. I recall reading his first sexual encounter and am still slightly ill when thinking about it.

I must have missed that page of the thread. I keep running into mentions of how satisfied his wife is now, how satisfied he is, how fluffy her boobs are - there you go, bloodorchid, I said BOOBS - which just makes me scream (and not in pleasure).

If I had a partner posting details in such fashion, I would be Hulk Panda Mad. Hopefully, it is with permission of Mrs. Prophet.

Also, my first year of college (my first time around, as a music major) I shared a dorm room with a girl who was so freaked out about body issues that she looked at me on the first day and said "You're not the kind of person who walks around naked or in her underwear or anything, are you?!" in this terrified voice. She changed in the bathroom for the entire first year. I felt kind of sad for her, but it also made me paranoid about getting dressed in case she saw too much skin and had a panic attack.

Since then, my only times living in res have been in grad school. Grad student residence is a whole other story. Nobody pulls fire alarms, you have your own room, and everyone studies all the time *very quietly*. It's almost monastic. Bliss.

Owly's Journal

canio6 is offline Senior Member

I must have missed that page of the thread.
    It was in another thread. I don't (want to) recall which. He was 13 (I think) and she was 11. I was sick. I did not need details. I did need brain bleach. I still do.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

I must have missed that page of the thread. I keep running into mentions of how satisfied his wife is now, how satisfied he is, how fluffy her boobs are - there you go, bloodorchid, I said BOOBS - which just makes me scream (and not in pleasure).

If I had a partner posting details in such fashion, I would be Hulk Panda Mad. Hopefully, it is with permission of Mrs. Prophet.
    Oh, that was in a different thread, I think when people were talking about age of first sexual experience. He claimed he was in his very early teens at the time, but the whole thing was really overdescriptive and read like creepy pedophile fantasy. *shudder*

Owly's Journal

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    It was in another thread. I don't (want to) recall which. He was 13 (I think) and she was 11. I was sick. I did not need details. I did need brain bleach. I still do.
    Ok... THAT certainly qualifies as TMI and WTF!
    I haven't even read it and I think I may need brain bleach.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.