Page 296 of 703 FirstFirst ... 196246286294295296297298306346396 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,960 of 7028

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 296

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ahhh... sensory overload.
    Not a huge problem in my life, though I have had some struggles with public areas whilst in the grips of PTSD problems.
    But... last year when my brain suddenly went squishy that changed!
    The whole world became a sensory overload of epic proportions.
    Public was almost impossible, and even at home I could hear everything all the time.
    My brain had simply stopped filtering. All the noises came crashing in at once and at approximately the same decibel level.
    The only way I could ever describe how it made me feel was overwhelming panic, the kind that makes you want to flap your hands around your head madly, cry, rage, and hide in a corner in an attempt to make it all go away. I feel I gained a slightly better understanding for some of the children with ASD that I have worked with through that experience (which lasted for about 5 months), but it's hard to know if I'm accurate on that.
    I found some relief through the use of Bose noise canceling headphones. But still...

Also... quietly raises hand and votes for more poetry.
    I turned in a final project for one of my creative writing classes as a long form poem (umm, 15 pages) as a direct challenge to myself. It had to be a story, and meet requirements... and all that. When the semester was over the prof wanted to know why I was not enrolled in his department as a major.
    I've had a few things published.
    I write... maybe when I die the books I fill won't be all thrown away.
    But there is certainly no money in them.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    cori, may i ask what it is that caused your neurological problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    cori, may i ask what it is that caused your neurological problems?
    My body decided to be stooooopid and doesn't process cerebrospinal fluid correctly. Makes too much. Doesn't recycle it fast enough. Maybe both. Who knows. Recent research shown that this is most likely related to hormonal issues.
    Basically too much fluid around the brain creates a ton of pressure and can lead to (it did for me) lots of weird and strokey like symptoms... and the worst headaches ever.
    I'm going to eventually explain in my journal. It's just kinda a matter of figuring out where to start.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    i see. thank you. is there a name for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    i see. thank you. is there a name for it?
    Here you go... a link! Welcome to the Intracranial Hypertension Research Foundation | Previously Called Pseudotumor Cerebri and Benign Intracranial Hypertension
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    I liked those assignments as well. I think Anne Lamott spoke about those in Bird by Bird, giving an assignment like "school lunches" to her students and letting them write a certain amount about it.

When it came to learning how to write a book, I just had to start writing books and figure it out on my own. Poems were of no use, nor were my teachers. I learned my most important lesson about writing pretty quickly:

not having an outline = writer's block

I know an author who can write books without an outline and she just follows the plot where it goes, but I can't do this AT ALL.
    Bird by Bird was great.

Also, my entire undergrad degree is in professional writing, so I have taken a ridiculous number of writing courses. Then I graduated and joined the Dark Side (in other words, I became an editor).

I used to describe my work in publishing as being a therapist for neurotic writers.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I used to describe my work in publishing as being a therapist for neurotic writers.
    I love this.

It's so very easy to be neurotic about writing. When I was bussing tables, I either did it correctly or I didn't. It wasn't subjective. It was the same when I was a musician. The audience might have criticized me for playing with little emotion, but I either hit the right notes or missed them. Writing is a very different game, and Lady Friend has told me many times to stop being neurotic about my work. (Am I any better after so many books, Lady Friend? I hope I am.)

What kind of personalities did you see as an editor? I don't know that many writers, but I noticed two distinct types.

Type 1: Like Gay Panda and most others I've met, this writer is sad that someone could dislike the work-in-progress, and terrified that it might not be possible to make it better. Some books just don't work and you can't save them. It also would be nice if first drafts could be perfect, but they are not. Your first draft sucks. Your second draft will be better. Your tenth might be great. This, however, is hard to remember/accept when you're caught up in the rawness of the first. Your feelings are easily hurt, and when a beta reader says, "I like this, BUT-" your heart plunges into the pit of your stomach.

Type 2: Like Fruity Fairy and Three Things I Do Well (has she appeared in this journal yet?), this writer is ENRAGED that someone could dislike the work-in-progress. What the hell is wrong with you? Can't you recognize staggering genius when it lands in your lap? Fruity Fairy (who wrote fantasy) decided to only write the first three chapters of her novel and blitz-query editors, confident that they would be blown away by her brilliance and offer a six-figure advance for her to finish the book. This writer believes, nay, KNOWS that this first draft is sheer gold, and nothing will ever convince him/her otherwise. EVER!!!

Tala Mosi is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    All right, for your reading pleasure tonight, on Pandaloonery I posted about the embarrassing place I was in when I got the idea for the Rune series. Here on MDA tomorrow when I wake up, I will post parts I and II of Young Gay Panda meeting Young Lady Friend, and the day after that you will get Parts III and IV. Because I am a wordy panda.
    Yay! Panda stories. <running off to read at Pandaloonery>

<bouncing back to FABULOUS> Silly Panda. Some of the very best ideas show up while one is in the shower. My sister and I once talked about writing a book titled "Bathroom Wisdom" because we get so many good ideas while in there. We even decided that the cover art should include an outhouse in true Southern style. Alas, neither of us is very disciplined about writing, and so this gem of literary brilliance has never been published.
    "There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls." - George Carlin

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Three Things I Do Well has not yet made an appearance.

*waits (im)patiently for a new story*
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Three Things I Do Well has not yet made an appearance.

*waits (im)patiently for a new story*
    Oh dear, I'll have to find some way to make that XXX-rated woman more of a G- to PG-rating for this journal.