Page 294 of 703 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304344394 ... LastLast
Results 2,931 to 2,940 of 7028

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 294

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    lol, maybe if i was drunk while browsing, i would've sent you some of the pics i had sent my husband.
    I knew there was a reason I should give out my email address more often. Curses, foiled by sobriety yet again.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Are there boob pics anywhere on this wildly successful thread? I believe I posted on it way back, welcoming the Gay Panda and then never again... so I'd like to take complete credit for how presumably great this ridiculously long thread is.
    This post made me laugh and laugh.

And now there are indeed boob pics! Thanks, Saoirse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    When do we get the rest?
    [[bounces in rolly chair]]
    Tomorrow morning!!! I've got the rough draft done and will polish it up tonight.

* fighting Runefly's tentacles sucking me in to edit *

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    Tomorrow morning!!! I've got the rough draft done and will polish it up tonight.

* fighting Runefly's tentacles sucking me in to edit *
    Give in to the dark side. Resistance is futile.

At least they're both from Star *?
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Panda, what is it about creative writing profs that leads them to such odd assignments? I know some of it is meant to loosen students up so they will become more comfortable with writing, but seriously, I'm not a poet, and there are only so many damn poetry projects I am willing to do before my head explodes.
    I ran into this idea far too often among creative writing teachers, and I really disagree with it. Poetry is not the gateway drug to novels. To me, it's a completely different art form, one at which I am not particularly talented or enjoy. Knowing how to write a poem never helped me in learning how to write a book. Apples to oranges. But maybe it helps other people?

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I ran into this idea far too often among creative writing teachers, and I really disagree with it. Poetry is not the gateway drug to novels. To me, it's a completely different art form, one at which I am not particularly talented or enjoy. Knowing how to write a poem never helped me in learning how to write a book. Apples to oranges. But maybe it helps other people?
    I don't see how to be honest. I agree with you 100%. Poetry is a completely different animal and not one I want to touch with a 10 foot pole. It is the very reason I have never taken a creative writing class. That said, I do admire those authors who can put poems or songs into their novels. Sure, it is probably some carryover nostalgia from Tolkein but it can add to the feel of a book.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

I got shoved in Honors English courses in college due to my ACT score in English and that was a lot of poetry analysis crap that I didn't go for. Professor:"So the poem is talking about a tree, what does that say to you?" Me:"Dude likes trees".
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about other people, but I felt that writing short prose (including things like postcard stories, triptych descriptions, and so on) was far more helpful. I suppose they think that poetry will help you develop metaphor, but I think that writing short, descriptive prose pieces with strict word caps is a better tool for learning how to paint a vivid image quickly. I took a whole class on writing short prose, and although it was non-fiction centred--more for writing short functional pieces than creative stuff--it was of far more use than a zillion poems.

Honestly, I think it's because a lot of poets end up teaching creative writing because there's no money in poetry. Not that I think they're not talented people, but I think that poets are the writers most likely to need secondary income and least likely to do things like work as a lab tech or write grant applications for a living.

And yeah, I suck at poetry. However, I love creative non-fiction.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I CAN do poetry, but not willingly or well. The closest I ever got was an epic poem in the Homeric style, and I never did finish that (partly because it was partially autobiographic, mostly because I lost the thread.)
    Poetry has its place in helping authors of fiction, and that place is the trashcan. Poetry is poetry and has naught to do with creating an entirely new world.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Sensory Hell Hole rings true with me too. Husband and son are the same. When our son was a baby he would just start to wail from overload and it never failed as we made our way to leave where-ever we were some one would think they had the magic ability to cheer the baby up by making funny faces at him.... needless to say it never worked.

Extroverts were always telling me You just need to expose him to more stuff. I knew they were full of it. I grew up in a very loud large family so I was exposed to lots of stimuli and it didn't change me. As you get older you learn to cope with these situations but they can still be draining.

When you described the cafeteria and your dorm room I kept thinking the horror! Was there no sanctuary for you? I couldn't have handled it. Can't imagine my son in that situation either. I think you are brave Panda.