Page 128 of 717 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178228628 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 7164

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 128

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    PART TWO: As of this morning, Gay Panda has officially lost 50 pounds. I am astonished. I am angry. I am elated. I never thought that I would reach this and I am disgusted with the healthy eating experts whose advice only served to exacerbate my problem. There was no need for me to be 231 pounds, fighting Mistress GERD and wincing from knee problems and severe tinnitus, running myself into injury after injury. Every doctor’s appointment I had, my blood pressure was noted to be rising. In time, I am sure that I would have been diabetic.

As I deflate, somewhere that boy from my class is continuing to inflate. His body is even less equipped than mine when it comes to dealing with sugar and starch, and yet the advice that his (very nice and extremely heavy) mother will continue to receive on his behalf is exactly what will keep him morbidly obese. Gay Panda is so sorry about that. Both of them deserve better, and they are being done a disservice from the mainstream diet and nutrition community. I’m excited for myself and sad for them, and I hope that they are lucky like I was, to stumble over a website and books that explained how almost everything we know is wrong, and what can be done to try to fix it.

A diet of 65-73% fat is gross and tedious and a lot of work, the Fairy of Debauchery is still singing hoarsely on my shoulder about sugar, but I weigh 181 pounds flat today and that trumps everything. I’ll keep going as far as this road will take me. Last week an acquaintance was despairing of how Weight Watchers recently failed her, and since Gay Panda is not gifted with the spoken word, I wrote down Mark’s Daily Apple on a piece of paper and told her just to check it out.

I hope she does. Maybe one day someone will tell that old student of mine, too.

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Gay Panda, I must ask, do you restrict your calories, or just simply aim for very low carb and high fat? I am seeing alot of people that are having a better success with restricting the calories in addition to the PB guidelines.....this seems to really apply to women and/or people with a substantial amount of weight to drop.

I know a calorie is not just a calorie, different food groups have different reactions to the body (and some people are effected differently) But I am just wondering, now that you have hit that important 50 pound mark, do you restrict and then adjust your calorie intake as you plug along, or do you even track it at all?
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

As requested, here is a list of science fiction/fantasy books that Gay Panda has enjoyed:

Young Adult

Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. (Science fiction)
    Wise Child, by Monica Furlong. A beautiful yet almost unknown book, I read it as a teenager and adored it. (Fantasy)
    The Earthsea Quartet, by Ursula Le Guin. (Fantasy)
    Jackaroo, by Cynthia Voight. (Fantasy)
    His Dark Materials trilogy, by Phillip Pullman. (Fantasy)
    A Wrinkle In Time series, by Madeleine L'Engle. (Science fiction)
    The City of Ember, by Jeanne DuPrau. (Science fiction)
    Tripods Trilogy, by John Christopher. (Science fiction)

I <3 Madeleine L'Engle. A Wrinkle in Time is one of my favourites.

Adult:

H. G. Wells (Science fiction)
    Robert Heinlein (Science fiction)
    George R. R. Martin (Fantasy)
    Octavia Butler (Science fiction)
    The Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan. I must qualify this one, as I enjoyed the first six books of the series and then lost interest when it never seemed to go anywhere. (Fantasy)
    Margaret Atwood (Science fiction)
    Contact, by Carl Sagan. (Science Fiction)
    The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. I didn't care for the characters much, but found the idea fascinating. (Science fiction)
    Jules Verne (Science fiction)
    The Mars Trilogy, by Kim Stanley Robinson. (Science fiction)
    Last edited by Gay Panda; 01-19-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redflame View Post
    Gay Panda, I must ask, do you restrict your calories, or just simply aim for very low carb and high fat? I am seeing alot of people that are having a better success with restricting the calories in addition to the PB guidelines.....this seems to really apply to women and/or people with a substantial amount of weight to drop.

I know a calorie is not just a calorie, different food groups have different reactions to the body (and some people are effected differently) But I am just wondering, now that you have hit that important 50 pound mark, do you restrict and then adjust your calorie intake as you plug along, or do you even track it at all?
    At this point, I'm shooting for very low carb and high fat, because this seems to work best for me. Too many carbohydrates and the cravings kick in, and my loss slows when it is already slow enough. So my carbs are coming only from nuts, seeds, and salads. I'm off fruit for now (cravings, sigh, but it's helpful that what I like is out of season).

My calories are tracked inadvertently because I put everything into my LoseIt app to monitor how much fat I'm getting. My body seems to cycle when left to its own devices, so that one day I'll have 1000 calories and the next day 1800. If my loss grinds to a halt (for longer than the normal pauses it takes every few months) I will think about restriction. But my body already restricts somewhat because the fat is so high.

@NOMnomNOM, I love your screen name!!! Thank you for posting!

@Sigi and PixieKitten, I also do not have a Kindle (not yet). And I know FAR TOO WELL what it is like to not have the spare cash for a purchase like that. So I will be releasing the book in serial form for free, a chapter of it each week, and you can read it that way. Lady Friend (who does not write science fiction and yet is much more tech-savvy than Gay Panda) set up the website yesterday. We poked all about to make sure that it would be easily readable on a computer screen.

Must start saving for my own Kindle . . . I think my first download is going to be The Primal Blueprint Cookbook. It has such good reviews and Gay Panda needs to branch out a little in the kitchen.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    OK, I just opened up a new tab and bought a Kindle edition of The Dwarves. I'm almost through my 2nd read of Dance With Dragons and was dreading being bookless for an upcoming 12-hour flight. But now I have a book! Panda, your log is dangerous. I don't have a Kindle, but I read on my phone.

P.S. Love Oryx & Crake and Year of the Flood!

P.P.S. Love to Primal Coach Kitty!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Gay Panda's sci fi/fantasy choices closely mirror mine... Gay Panda may also enjoy Lois McMaster Bujold? The Vorkosigan saga is fun. Ooo! And Kage Baker! You HAVE to read the Company series. Super-cool sciency ideas, and really, really interesting characters. Also her young adult book "Bird of the River" is *well* worth reading.

And CONGRATULATIONS on losing 50 lbs. That's fantastic. And also - I have a 6-year-old. The thought of a kid that age weighing 100 lbs is horrifying. Mine weighs 42 lbs. Her heaviest friend (who is also more than 6 inches taller - well above average height) weighs just over 60. Another 40 on top of that? Poor child. And his poor mother - she must feel awful. And helpless.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Congratulations on the 50 lbs!

I read mostly fantasy and my favourites have to be Terry Brooks' The Word and The Void and Shannara series. I also love reading Jim Butcher's books.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!