Page 126 of 703 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176226626 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 7028

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 126

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Maybe there's a book/website of Sample Speeches that they all draw from in order to write their own. But NO, it was NOT the time of my life!

My husband and I have a theory that there's a Coolness Curve everyone goes through in life and you definitely don't want to peak on the Coolness Curve in high school. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by thepigisatastyanimal View Post
    my husband and i have a theory that there's a coolness curve everyone goes through in life and you definitely don't want to peak on the coolness curve in high school. ;-)
    i love it!!!

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Let's hope THOSE days are gone forever (well, probably not in the deep south for a while!) ... my daughter is a sophomore and everyone seems very cool about their gay friends. She even danced with her lesbian friend at the school dance because not a lot of girls wanted to -- don't think it was a slow dance tho

I'm in Virginia, btw, which gives me hope for the rest of the world LOL

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    I have never read The Bridges of Madison County, so I can't say either way. (I was going to read it, but more than one friend soundly abused it and so I never did.) The book I'm releasing is literary science fiction, following the lives of six foster siblings separated in a conflict in their Earth colony. The attack is sudden and unexpected, scattering most of them at random all over their world in an instant.
    The Bridges of Madison County was dumb and boring. I was praying for an alien attack the whole time.
    Sounds like a good story, Panda - looking forward to it!
    I agree with you very much on sci-fi - I like all genre fiction best when it creates a good world of three-dimensional characters. I suspend my disbelief easily but I get bored if the characters aren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dig62 View Post
    Freaking A dude... gay here also and I wouldn't want to relive my highschool years for anything in the world. I was such a scifi nerd and a fag that I got beat up every day after school... and I do mean EVERY day. Never went home from school without at least a bloody nose. I've often thought about going back to highschool reunions to show how successful I am, but ultimately I never do. For the most part it's just a very bad part of my history that I want to forget, but at times I do want to go back and kick Kevin Long's ass. He turned out to be gay anyway. Why was he kicking my ass in highschool? WTF people?
    My worst tormentor was in eighth grade and I'll never forget his flushed and pimply face. I was just one of his targets, but I was his favorite. Young Gay Panda was raised to Always Be Nice and Turn The Other Cheek and Tell An Adult. None of these strategies was effective, and I should have stopped worrying about getting in trouble and just slugged him as hard as I could. That was a language he would have understood.

Suspension or dignity? I wish that I would have chosen the latter instead of being his doormat.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPickles View Post
    The Bridges of Madison County was dumb and boring. I was praying for an alien attack the whole time.
    I agree with you very much on sci-fi - I like all genre fiction best when it creates a good world of three-dimensional characters. I suspend my disbelief easily but I get bored if the characters aren't there.
    My friends used those same words to describe Bridges, so I just never got around to picking it up or seeing the movie.

I do not know HOW MANY BOOKS I have put down purely because of the characters! Even if the science or fantasy aspects are interesting, it's an uphill battle to finish a book if I don't care what happens to the people. I really struggle with one certain author whose science concepts are incredible, but they are paired with the dullest and most forgettable characters in creation. The science and fantasy aspects are the flash and dazzle and spice of a book, but the characters are the meat. They will either pull me in or push me away. They absolutely cannot be neglected or simply be stock characters there to fill a space, because then you've bored me right out of the book.
    Last edited by Gay Panda; 01-18-2012 at 01:43 PM.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I have never read The Bridges of Madison County, so I can't say either way. (I was going to read it, but more than one friend soundly abused it and so I never did.) The book I'm releasing is literary science fiction, following the lives of six foster siblings separated in a conflict in their Earth colony. The attack is sudden and unexpected, scattering most of them at random all over their world in an instant.

Science fiction is one of those genres that seems to engender very strong like/dislike reactions among people. I am very particular about what I'll read, because I hate when sci-fi forgets its people to become about its cool gadgets, and I really hate when it is all about LOOK HOW TOTALLY WICKED THESE ALIENS ARE!!! An alien race should have culture, not just a mad desire to wipe out humanity. Evil Alien and Noble Hero stories bore me to death. Give me people. I'm already suspending my disbelief for a future time on another planet, for example, so I need people to draw me in. I like my lead characters to be regular people caught in extraordinary circumstances. I want to see how they cope, when they succeed and how they fail, how they interact with one another in a changed world or with a new technology, because this is something I can relate to far better than a superhero character who always cracks a snarky joke, never misses a shot, and will save us all from imminent destruction.
    It just occurred to me (yes, sometimes I'm slow) that it being an e-book will force me to break down and buy one of those daggone e-readers. Nooooo! But for you- and a story that looks genuinely interesting- I'll do it. You know, unless I can figure out how to get it on actual paper (did you know that an e-book actually requires more oil than a paper book. Scary.)

Hear hear to anyone who is glad life didn't peak in high school. I feel the same way about the "Best years of my life!" being college. No- no they weren't. Life has improved since then and if it hadn't- there really wouldn't have been any reason to keep going.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Oh, you know how to charm me, drssgchic. I'll see how the process goes with this particular company and cover artist (so far so good) and if I'm happy with how it went then I'll recommend them when your book is done.
    Yes! Thank you!

I do have to add one caveat to the protection gig, though. I can only woo the scary, hot ones. If they're emo, sparkly, and/or vegetarian, I might be incapacitated by laughter. I figure it's only fair to warn you about this chink in my armor.

UPDATE ON PRIMAL COACH KITTY:

Two days ago it was looking very grim and we were making plans to put her to sleep, but yesterday she rallied a little. She hated being in the cage at the clinic so much that the vet let her out to wander about in her floppy way. Her mood rapidly improved and she has made a new best friend in the blind and deaf clinic cat. They wander about and bump into things together.

Our best guess is that she may have had a small stroke. She is sleeping a lot, but the vet thinks that she might be able to come home tomorrow. We do not know how much longer she has, but I am glad for whatever days or weeks or months her little motor will still run, and she can have all the bacon she wants.