Page 123 of 699 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173223623 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 6989

Thread: Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS page 123

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ottercat View Post
    P.S. there is a phenomenon known as Learned Helplessness. In the original experiment (ok, this sounds really mean) they put dogs in a chamber where they would get small electric shocks from the floor. Of course the dogs would immediately hop the barrier to get on the non-electric side. However, if the dogs weren't given an escape, they just gave up. They would lie despondently on the floor and get shocked even more. And to top it all off, when they were given an escape route or tempted with treats, they STILL wouldn't escape. I think this happens to humans more than we realize. Plus, as humans we are also able to justify our inaction in our "logical" brains.
    I remember reading about those when I was in college! Creepy.

I'm sure it was learned helplessness with one of the Panda Parents, because being married to a very critical partner is hard. You're damned one way and damned the other, so you end up doing nothing because every way is wrong. And if you're too frightened to leave that maze and face the unknown, which that parent was, then it drags on in an infinite but familiar misery. I might have been able to tolerate that for many years with my career, but I found that I never could in relationships. That ended my first one when I thought one day that I would rather be single than look at this horrid person for ONE MORE MINUTE.

wendolpho is offline Junior Member
    *GASP* I'm finally finished reading ALL the previous posts! Aaaaaand I'm a Scorpio! Yay!

P.S. I'll buy your book Gay Panda. This thread is AWESOME.

P.P.S. This is my first post ever. :-)

girlviking is offline Junior Member
    Consider another copy sold, Gay Panda - congratulations on the publication, from another aspiring genre fiction writer.

Also I read your entire thread. Oops.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    I'll buy your book too!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Hey, mind if I tiptoe in your wake down the possibility of self-publishing? I have a legit reason for not having looked into it- I haven't finished my book yet- but it's looking like that'll be the logical way for me to go. I'll even promise to sweep away the swine flu, scare off the wolves, and woo the vampires to keep you safe
    Oh, you know how to charm me, drssgchic. I'll see how the process goes with this particular company and cover artist (so far so good) and if I'm happy with how it went then I'll recommend them when your book is done.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    tell your cave troll that times are a-changin and ebooks are not the 'wasteland of talentless hacks' that people once assumed them to be. nooks and kindles made the waves, time to get your boogie board and ride em
    It's time for me to actually buy one of these contraptions and learn how they work. I should have checked out my friend's Kindle when I was at her house at New Year's, but instead I improved my eye-hand coordination with massive quantities of tequila and squashed everyone in Mario Kart.

Hi wendolpho! Hi girlviking! You guys crack me up reading 123 pages of Pure Panda Natter.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    tell your cave troll that times are a-changin and ebooks are not the 'wasteland of talentless hacks' that people once assumed them to be. nooks and kindles made the waves, time to get your boogie board and ride em
    Yeah, this!

Well done Panda for pushing past the terror and wriggling out of the unhappy comfort zone. The more you challenge yourself to change, even in small ways, the teeny bit less daunting it will be each time.

And I am so buying your e-book! I have friends whom I believe would like the sound of it too, and will happily spread the word.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

hockeyfan7 is offline Senior Member
    E-Books are the way to go now. I am a voracious reader and I have shelves and shelves and shelves of books. Since I got my tablet and the Kindle app, I haven't purchased a physical book at all. Instead I've purchased 85 E-Books since October. Everyone on the boards I frequent, on Facebook and in my real life has either a Kindle, a Nook or a tablet/smartphone with one of the apps on it.

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Ok Gay Panda, we have decided...........so there is one less thing you need to do. We gladly take the Gay Panda Future into our hands, and make those decisions on your behalf! Cuz, well....that's just how we roll around here! E Book it is! Start planning your formal wear for the Ebook Awards....shall you wear all black, or a spash of color? Just no wardrobe malfunctions please....we will all be watching and waiting to give you your standing ovation after your speech!
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!