Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need motivation for working out in the winter page

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I enjoy being outdoors and working out in summer but come winter, I lose all enthusiasm and motivation. I had the best of intentions to come home from work and work out this evening but I just lack the enthusiasm to do anything in this cold weather, other than getting under a warm throw and watching TV. What do you all do for motivation when you don't feel like working out?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

I'm with you, maba :-(

Hoping to get some ideas here...

stevew2023 is offline Junior Member

How about this, summers coming and you want to look good ;-)

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

From what I understand Mark saying (still haven't gotten my book yet) if your heart isn't in it, then don't do it. Currently I don't work out all the time, but when I feel inspired, I will go on a walk or do some yoga. There are sometimes several days where I will do yoga every morning. I actually use some yoga that they have on Hulu. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.hulu.com/watch/38644/yoga...en-in-your-den

It's something that you can do in your living room and has great benefits. But I don't berate myself if I miss a day - I'm concentrating more on the food aspect as of right now. Particularly I'm trying to break my addiction to sugar. I figure that the exercise will come regularly all in good time.

So don't get too discouraged. Winter is the time for regeneration anyways. Let your body rest, do some light stretching/yoga so you don't get rusty and enjoy relaxing.

Hey Maba! We live in the same area so I know exactly what you mean by the cold and no motivation in the evening! I work out at 5:30am everyday so it's done, out of the way, and there isn't anything that could possibly keep me from working out that early!

Maybe you could give that a try and see if it helps!

Plaid Dad is offline Junior Member

I've been really suffering with seasonal blues, so I started going to a Zumba class twice a week. It feels like "play" not "work(ing out)," and the music really lifts my spirits. It's way too cold and icy here for walking and I don't ski, so a fun indoor class was the ticket for me.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I can't remember the last time I did a "real" workout. Right now it's about 12 degrees outside. Below zero with wind chill. My apartment is drafty and chilly, so I'm wrapped up in a blanket. The last thing I feel like doing this time of year is exercising.

Part of me does miss the 6-mile runs on the treadmill though... *sigh*

Mainer is offline Senior Member

Its sometimes hard (or as we say in Maine hahhhhd) to get going but when you do, boy do you feel good when its done. I say give cold weather the 1 finger salute and go for it, you will feel invigorated when finished. Looks like we are all stuck in the deep freeze. We are in the "tweener" weather here, trails not packed enough for mtn biking and the mountains don't have enough snow for decent skiing so we have been snowshoeing, lots of fun!

You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Mainer, hell yeah! I'm a "mainiac" myself, born and raised, but moved down to Florida for college to get away from the cold. Such unbearable winters up there, now I'm a spoiled Floridian and don't know how I made it through all those years.

Maba, why don't you try some hatha yoga? Slow, calming, and gets you all nice and warm.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

Also, remember your body works hard to keep warm. Try just turning the heat way down. Tricky thing with that, is that you're gonna get hungrier too. Keep your food intake the same and let your body work hard to keep warm. It's been one of my winter tactics and is working well, now if I could only keep away from eating so much fruit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast