Thread: Time for Change page

MarissaN is offline Junior Member

Time for Change

Shop Now
    Hi Im Marissa.

Until recently i enjoyed i had enjoyed higher then normal muscle mass, and a fast metabolism that seemed to prevent weight gain regardless of what i ate. Now because of certain medications i am on those effects are greatly diminished. Honestly i have been having a hard time keeping muscle mass around and weight gain has been a constant problem. I've gone from being able to eat pretty much anything to gaining weight off next to nothing.

Currently I am very athletic. I play womens roller derby. Practice 4 sometimes 5 days a week for about 2.5 hours each time. Not to mention i walk just about everywhere that is within 2 hours round trip. Even so in the last 10 months (about the same time i started derby) i have gained about 35 lbs. Going from 145lbs to 180lbs. I am sure some of it is muscle in my legs from all the skating i do but i also know a good deal isn't.. Since all this started i have been desperately looking for a way to slim down while maintaining my muscle mass and performance in sports. Unfortunately until now all i had found was cardio, cardio, cardio which hasn't been helping the situation. Several days ago i ended up finding this site and it just seemed to make sense. As usual i tend to jump into things and it has been the same here, already modifying my diet to come closer to the primal blueprint.

Even in just the last few days i have noticed that my biggest enemy, hunger, is just gone. Eating fewer carbs and higher amounts of protein and fat, i haven't been hungry at all and my calorie intake has been lower. (yeah i still worry about calories, been counting them since i started gaining weight. Hard to break that habit.) Feels almost like being freed from the need to eat anything and everything i can get my hands on.

Even so it just seems to good to be true and with all the other conflicting information out there its hard to know whats really healthy.

Anyway I intend to stick with it, see where it takes me and go from there.
    ~M

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal eating will give you a lean body without muscle loss. Welcome!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hi Marissa! Welcome. Yeah, trying to lose or even keep weight off with cardio doesn't work in the long run. Or if it does, you trash your body. Good luck with Primal.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

It has been about 5 days now since i have started eating a more primal diet. So far I haven't been eating as much as i normally do just because i haven't been hungry. Its easier to forget to eat when its not constantly on your mind. Still it has been well within a normal range. Even so I have been feeling somewhat tired and less energetic. At first i just thought it was because early this week i got very little sleep but that should have passed by now. Now i wonder if its the much lower carb consumption. Is this normal starting out?

js290 is offline Senior Member

So I have been trying a primal diet a little over a week now. The first 5 days went fairly well then i went to visit my mom's and there is nothing but carb loaded junk food in the house and I will be staying several more days. Needless to say it has not been easy. with all the carbs around it is hard not to end up eating them at some point and once i start it seems close to impossible to stop! I guess i'm looking for encouragement. I need a strategy to combat this mess.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Do the best you can to avoid the carbs. Then get back on track. You can do it!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Get yourself some good primal alternative snacks. I have the same issue at my parent's house. Last time I was there my mom made brownies, a cake, and a coffee cake. There were five people in the house for about four days. And she wonders how she got to be diabetic.

Anyways, get yourself some good primal foods and it'll be easier to stay away from the junk.

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaN View Post
    So I have been trying a primal diet a little over a week now. The first 5 days went fairly well then i went to visit my mom's and there is nothing but carb loaded junk food in the house and I will be staying several more days. .... I need a strategy to combat this mess.
    Go grocery shopping! Offer to cook.

You can do it! You are in charge of your destiny. Don't let others dictate what goes in your mouth; don't give up your autonomy.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    +1 to the Darkmistress...be your own food boss!