Thread: could cooking the olive oil be contributing to my acne? page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

could cooking the olive oil be contributing to my acne?

Shop Now
    My family usually uses this "heat resistant olive oil" to cook most veggies and meats. I was sort of skeptical of it ...

I've basically cut out all possible acne causes, but I still get spots once in awhile. I'm wondering - could using that olive oil be contributing to the acne? Could the oil still be turning into trans fats / oxidized?

Any thoughts would be nice.
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member
    I use olive oil all the time for cooking because I'm allergic to other oils (although don't use high temps) and my face is always clear. Are you still eating any processed foods? I looked at your food journal & noticed dairy, that's a biggie for a lot of people. You could try cutting that out for a couple weeks & see if it helps. Also, you're still 16 & going through the lovely teenage years, so if you're just getting a few here & there, you'll probably outgrow them as your hormones level out.

Brewing The Chaos is offline Junior Member
    I have struggled with acne for a long time, and it can definitely be very difficult to isolate the cause(s). My skin has cleared up considerably since I went primal, and I cook with olive oil pretty frequently. But different people may respond differently. If you think olive oil might be the cause, then you could try going without it for a while and see what happens.

Also, I would like to second the suggest to try eliminating dairy. Sometimes you just have to experiment.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I have never heard of this product and would be curious as to what it actually is. Name brand/link to label info? Could they be hydrogenating it? Nothing surprises me anymore but that just might.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

marqueemoon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
    My family usually uses this "heat resistant olive oil" to cook most veggies and meats. I was sort of skeptical of it ...

I've basically cut out all possible acne causes, but I still get spots once in awhile. I'm wondering - could using that olive oil be contributing to the acne? Could the oil still be turning into trans fats / oxidized?
    No. That is not how trans fats are formed. As for oxidation, olive oil is actually pretty heat stable (I assume your family isn't heating it until it smokes) so I doubt it. Although olive oil will oxidise faster if exposed to light and heat which is why you should store it in a dark bottle. But I doubt that's the cause of your acne.
    Since it sounds like you're still living at home, is it safe to assume you're fairly young? Because if you're still in your teens or very early twenties, a little acne once in a while is pretty normal.