Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Artificial Sweeteners page

Artificial Sweeteners

Primal Fuel
    What do you think of Sugar Free Jello, Walden Farms Dressings and fruit spread, and pre-mixed protein shakes like, Muscle Milk Light?

I want something sweet after dinner most nights and since I have been primal I reach for a sugar free Jello. I'd say I have one or two 5-6 nights a week. Thoughts and opinions?

I normally make whey protein shakes at home with Dr. Mercola's pure power protein or EAS Vanilla whey but sometimes when I am out and in a pinch I will get Muscle Milk or something similar. This happens once in a blue moon or to cutb a sweet craving in a pinch as well.

I use Walden Farms salad dressings usually a couple times a week on salads and sometimes I use the fruit spread in my Fage Greek Yogurt.

Whatcha think?

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Sugar Free Jello ingredients: Gelatin, Adipic Acid (for Tartness), Disodium Phosphate (Controls Acidity), Maltodextrin (from Corn), Fumaric Acid (for Tartness), Aspartame (Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine.) (Sweetener), Contains Less than 2% of Artificial Flavor, Acesulfame Potassium (Sweetener), Salt, Blue 1, Red 40.

Why not go for some whole fat yogurt with berries instead and avoid all the crap the sugar free jello contains?

Walden Farms Balsamic Vinaigrette Ingredients: Triple filtered purified water, balsamic vinegar, white vinegar, cellulose fiber, salt, dijon mustard, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, natural flavors, natural spices, caramel color, xamthan gum (thickener made from vegetables), sucralose (splenda), sodium benzoate (to preserve freshness).

There are certainly worse salad dressings out there, but making your own is SO easy!

Muscle Milk Ingredients (vanilla cream):Evopro™ (our custom protein peptide and amino acid matrix) (Taurine, Whey Peptides, Lactoferrin, Glutamine Peptides, Micellar alpha and beta caseins and caseinates, whey concentrates rich in alpha-lactalbumin, whey isolates, purified bovine colostrum extract rich in secretory IgA and IGF-1), Lean Lipids™ (L-Carnitine, Canola Oil, MCT's, sunflower and/or safflower oil), Fructose, Maltodextrin, Cytovite 1™ (Biotin, Cholecalciferol, Di-Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine HCl, Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Riboflavin, Potassium Chloride, Copper Gluconate, Ferrous Fumarate, Pantothenic Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Folate, Vitamin A Acetate, d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Chromium Nicotinate), Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Creatine GCC, our proprietary, endogenous creatine precursor (SAMe, Glutamine, Betaine anhydrous), Soy Lecithin, Stevia, Lo Han Extract

This stuff is full of various crap including canola oil, soy lecithin, etc. You should also never lose your place while reading ingredients on your food!
    Last edited by supersellen; 08-31-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Fake sugar is nasty. Aspartame is "generally regarded as safe" despite all kinds of neurological disorders spiking the year or two after it was approved. My wife gets instant migraines from it, as it breaks down into aldehydes (like formaldehyde, which is used to preserved dead things) in your body.

From that, I don't trust the rest of the fake sugars either.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Home made would be better. Sometimes I make gelatin with unsweetened gelatin, stevia and some fruit.

It is easy to make healthier salad dressings.

No opinion on the Muscle Milk.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Walden Farms Balsamic Vinaigrette Ingredients: Triple filtered purified water, balsamic vinegar, white vinegar, cellulose fiber, salt, dijon mustard, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, natural flavors, natural spices, caramel color, xamthan gum (thickener made from vegetables), sucralose (splenda), sodium benzoate (to preserve freshness).

There are certainly worse salad dressings out there, but making your own is SO easy!
    Cellulose fiber is wood pulp, so if you don't mind eating wood, go for it!
    Actually, you don't even have to make salad dressing, just pour some olive oil over your salad, toss, and then sprinkle with some balsamic vinegar and grind some pepper on top.

I also second the yogurt and fruit dessert idea, it's easy and delicious and satisfying.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

I do make salad dressings and I do eat the greek yogurt concoction. Sometimes I also eat the fake stuff.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I tried one of the Walden Farms dressings a couple of months ago and got severe cramping. Being either of a scientific mind or a glutton for punishment, I tried it again a few nights later and got the same result, at which point The Boyfriend muttered something about my supposed level of intelligence and tossed it in the trash.

Artificial sweeteners, especially aspartame. Even if they were completely safe, which I absolutely do not believe (from even as far back as Russell L. Blaylock's 1996 Book "Excitotoxins"), they have been shown to increase hunger because the brain thinks sugar is on its way, then the body never gets it, so it craves it.

Have to agree with the yogurt and berries. Great stuff. And the longer you keep feeding the need for sweet, the longer you'll have problems with it. Stop eating sweet stuff and the cravings go away.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Cin
    Cin is offline Member
    Why not go for some whole fat yogurt with berries instead and avoid all the crap the sugar free jello contains?
    THIS. Oh my goodness, so, so good. If you need a bit of extra sweetness, drizzle on a little bit of honey. Best dessert ever.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionfitness View Post
    I do make salad dressings and I do eat the greek yogurt concoction. Sometimes I also eat the fake stuff.
    1 or 2 SF jellos 5 or 6 nights a week is a pretty significant amount. I would try to get off the fake stuff as much as possible.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cin View Post
    THIS. Oh my goodness, so, so good. If you need a bit of extra sweetness, drizzle on a little bit of honey. Best dessert ever.
    Does the honey not have too much sugar? I don't eat honey daily/weekly b/c of all the sugar. I may have it every blue moon. I try to keep my sugars for the entire day under 25 grams. I track my food every day at my fitness pal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast