Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with fresh coconut meat? page

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

What do you do with fresh coconut meat?

Shop Now
    I want to buy coconuts for the water to drink during long workouts, but don't really know what to do with the meat except to eat by itself as a snack. Any less boring ways to consume it? Any baking, cooking, and preparation ideas appreciated! Especially desserts that I can share with friends.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    First, we are talking about the young Thai coconuts, right? These are the ones that have been shaved so they appear white with the conical top. Those are the ones for the primo water.

With those, the meat is really soft and just scoops right out with an ice cream scoop or spoon.

You can make fresh coconut milk (but you'd need to reserve the water of one of the coconuts for this). I also make a raw porridge with the meat, with a bit of banana, walnuts, and cinnamon. There used to be this AMAZING young coconut meat dessert I would get at the farmers' market in Berkeley, but I haven't been able to replicate it or find a recipe. It was this fluffy concoction similar to a tropical delight (you know those?), no sugar, very Paleo before I knew of such a thing.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. Most of the stuff I've heard uses mature coconuts instead of young ones. I have no idea if this would work, but you could try blending it with some of the coconut water maybe, adding some temeperd gelatin and a sweetener if you like to make a primal haupia.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    First, we are talking about the young Thai coconuts, right? These are the ones that have been shaved so they appear white with the conical top. Those are the ones for the primo water.
    Nah, the ones I am talking about the brown ones. Is the coconut water in these not as good?

And I would love a link to that primal haupia recipe!

No, mature coconut water is pretty gross in comparison to the young Thai coconuts, nor is it as plentiful. For the water, you definitely want the young white shaved ones. I have one a day. Get them from the Asian market, where they are half of Whole Foods' price. They know me as "crazy white coconut lady" at the Asian market.

Once you know the trick, they are ridiculously/stupidly easy to get into:

Put straw in. Drink.

Yeah, those white young coconuts are BALLIN'! I get a few everytime I go to Atlanta. I haven't found them around here. Then again, I haven't really looked.

@sakura_girl: If the ones you're getting are mature coconuts, you can scrape out the meat and use it to make your own coconut milk. I haven't done it myself, so Google would be more help than me. Also, you can shave it into flakes and dehydrate (I love coconut flakes so much more than shreds for some reason).

As for the haupia, Dr. Bork Bork posted a recipe not too long ago: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34552.html

You can make milk with the young ones as well (in a 3-to-1 ratio .... 3 meats to 1 water), and it's significantly less of a pain in the ass, since the meat comes out so easily.

Note: If you open one and it is a mauve color inside, it is bad. Do not drink that water.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Note: If you open one and it is a mauve color inside, it is bad. Do not drink that water.
    I can second that. I found that out the hard way. Any way to tell before you buy them? I've heard that they shouldn't slosh (should be totally filled with water) but didn't know of any other tips.

Yes. If there is any mold at the cone top or at the bottom, or if the cone top is black, or if there are any cracks in it, or if it is oddly discolored. I've found that it really is best to get them at the Asian market because theirs are the freshest, as they sell so many of them. I've gotten FIVE bad ones at Whole Foods -- theirs must sit on the shelf for much longer/not as high turnover -- so never again with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast