Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut milk while fasting page

Hawaiigirl is offline Member

Coconut milk while fasting

Primal Fuel
    I have been doing a 16/8 hour fast for about two weeks now and I was using a little bit of heavy cream in my coffee but have just switched to coconut milk instead. Is it ok to have a little during my fast?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    According to Martin Berkhan, a very small amount is OK (see the comment section: Intermittent Fasting, Set-Point and Leptin | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health).

Martin gave a somewhat arbitrary number of 50 cals max to ensure that people weren't going overboard. That would be about a tablespoon by volume of heavy cream or 1.5 of coconut milk. At least according to nutritiondata. I thought coconut milk was similar in calorie content to heavy cream, but I guess it's lower, or maybe depends on the brand:

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Cream, fluid, heavy whipping
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, coconut milk, canned (liquid expressed from grated meat and water)

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    No.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Cream seems to work ok for me so I would think coconut milk would be ok too - in small amounts
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    I would say that either are fine...If you see/feel a difference, then great. Listen to your body:-)

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Sure it's OK to have either cream or coconut milk. But then it's no longer a fast, is it?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I never got the "how much can I eat and still be kinda fasting" thing. The point isn't to get some sort of primal merit badge, it's to get results, and anything that undermines the process undermines the results. TEHO, I suppose.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I put about 1/4 coconut milk in my morning coffee, if you want to call that my breakfast, go right ahead. My body resumes fasting soon after digesting the coconut milk, so I don't really care if it interrupts the fast, since it would only do so for a short amount of time. I eat a regular sized meal usually around 1pm. I also fast 16/8 almost daily.

I wasn't aware of this, but apparently if you're doing the Warrior Diet (one big meal daily, typically closer to night time) it's okay to 'graze' during the day and just save the big meal for the night. Correct me if I'm wrong, I read about it on some other forum. None were having actual meals, but maybe some raw veggies etc, which don't provide much in the way of calories or sustenance, so I'm not sure why they bothered. I guess though, maybe the point of the Warrior diet isn't to fast in general but just to have that one large meal? Eh, who knows.

I wouldn't worry about it, especially considering coconut milk is way better than cream from a health stand-point, though I prefer the taste of dairy cream.

Hawaiigirl is offline Member
    IniQuity: Have you still seen results from fasting?

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    Either you eat or you don't eat. Its a pretty simple concept. If you don't consume calories = fast. If you consume calories = very low calorie diet. Do you really care what its called, or do you care about the health implications?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast