Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sugar is my crack page

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member

sugar is my crack

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok so I admit it. I was doing so well.. not craving it.. not wanting it.. 100% PB eating I TELL YOU!! I then decided to eat some strawberries (Hey- they are allowed!) and then another day some grapes-- I read the book, still legal here.. then some cherries days later (I know they are sweet- slipping on the list but still legal). Let us not forget the occasional piece of dark chocolate (and slipping to 80% PB eating)..I am always it seems now on the prowl for something sweet for my sugar fix (have even found myself with naughty sweets lately). I am considering I may have to give up fruit (UGH say it ain't so!) because I am struggling with this. Unreasonable?? Suggestions?? Anyone relate??
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

kungfumike is offline Senior Member
    I hear you. I have given up a lot of fruit. Some people make the assertion that today's fruit is way more sugary than is healthy and I tend to agree, but that's just me.

I try to stick to one medium to largeish portion of fruit a day (preferably cherries or berries) and one portion of nuts for that matter, as I am trying to lessen a need for these foods.

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    I rarely eat fruit, and when I do it is berries with full fat greek yogurt. I've found the tanginess of the yogurt cuts the sweetness of the berries while the sweetness offsets the tanginess somewhat. It works for me
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

JVib is offline Senior Member
    I completely understand. I only eat fruit 1 day per week because I couldn't control myself if I was eating it daily. I cut out dark chocolate because if I bought a bar I would eat the whole thing in 1 sitting. I got rid of nut butters, because I would eat 1/2 the jar in 1 sitting.

So, I limit myself to some nuts on my daily salad & fruit on fridays (typically a small container of berries and a grapefruit).

However, I compensate by eating more protein and fat. I always eat until I feel fully satisfied and so far I haven't had any binging issues. I also find that if I eat something sour it curbs my sweet cravings. I just have a pickle or two.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I rarely eat fruit, and when I do it is berries with full fat greek yogurt. I've found the tanginess of the yogurt cuts the sweetness of the berries while the sweetness offsets the tanginess somewhat. It works for me
    Good point here.. not something I have done eating my fruit with fat/protein. That might help some and maybe even help with my portioning-eek!
    Karin

Quote Originally Posted by JVib View Post
    I completely understand. I only eat fruit 1 day per week because I couldn't control myself if I was eating it daily. I cut out dark chocolate because if I bought a bar I would eat the whole thing in 1 sitting. I got rid of nut butters, because I would eat 1/2 the jar in 1 sitting.

So, I limit myself to some nuts on my daily salad & fruit on fridays (typically a small container of berries and a grapefruit).

However, I compensate by eating more protein and fat. I always eat until I feel fully satisfied and so far I haven't had any binging issues. I also find that if I eat something sour it curbs my sweet cravings. I just have a pickle or two.
    Oh yeah.. the dark chocolate has got to go for me I think. I found these large "bars" that are actually smaller bars individually wrapped, which is cool only when I am done with one...yep.. want another. I don't have a problem with nuts/nut butters as my allergy takes care of that and keeps me away.
    Karin

SouthernDink is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed I can't tolerate anything made with sugar anymore, I had a bite of a cupcake at a work meeting and had to spit it out! It was gross. Berries on the other hand I love, that is a different kind of sweet to me, and I think they are quite different... but then again I've never been much of a sweet tooth.

I made that coconut cream/dark chocolate thing Mark had posted a couple of week ago, I had to throw it out, too rich for me! Good luck, I've struggled more with bypassing croissants :/
    Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I think you have seen that it can be a slippery slope, so what you have to figure out is how far you can go before it becomes an issue - nip your sugar cravings in the bud, so to speak. We all have different tolerances when it comes to sweet things, so you need to find out what you can eat that will not trigger things off. As well, if you eat less sweet things, your perception of sweetness changes. I find carrots and squash sweet now.

I am ok with berries and yogurt most days, but I am better off with 99% choc than 90% choc. 90% I can finish half a bar in a day, but the 99% I will rarely eat more than the square I shave over my yogurt, since it is so sour. I agree about the yogurt souring down the berries - I don't know if I would consider the yogurt and berries the sweetest thing I eat during the day - that would probably go to carrots instead.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    I can't eat the other fruits much at all since going Primal. Get really bad sugar spikes. At most I will have 1/2 a frozen banana in a shake, but w/some berries, spinach, coconut milk(unsweetened) or water/protein powder. This really helps with the sugar cravings. Best solution for me is to just eat clean/primal...Hang in there:-)

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Anything sweet is a 'trigger' for me, and I can't eat fruit because it makes me crave more and more and more.

And I love fruit [sigh].

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast