Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At goal weight but want to decrease body fat page

ElaineK is offline Junior Member

At goal weight but want to decrease body fat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi all,

I've been Primal for about a month. I'm 5'6" and about 118 - so I do NOT need to lose more weight. I'm about 20% BF - would like to shred down more without dropping more weight. Do you think I can eat close to my BMR+activity (which is about 2000 calories/day) but if I keep my carbs under 100 I will still continue to drop fat??

TIA!
    Elaine

dado Guest
    do you lift heavy stuff?

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I found what worked for me to maintain but lose inches was to keep my protein up. I did some exercise, but not everything Mark suggests, and still lost 1 to 1-1/2 inches off of both waist and hips in maybe a month or so with no loss in weight, which is decent in my books.

I try for around 100g protein a day (I am around 100lbs lean body mass) and I eat 75-100 g carbs a day usually.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

ElaineK is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    do you lift heavy stuff?
    Yes, I lift pretty heavy about 3 days a week. I'm doing P90X (third round)

Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    I found what worked for me to maintain but lose inches was to keep my protein up. I did some exercise, but not everything Mark suggests, and still lost 1 to 1-1/2 inches off of both waist and hips in maybe a month or so with no loss in weight, which is decent in my books.

I try for around 100g protein a day (I am around 100lbs lean body mass) and I eat 75-100 g carbs a day usually.
    I'm at about 130g protein per day - although I calculate my LBM to be about 93. Here's a look at my food diary (about the same most days) from yesterday: Elainekatko's Food Diary | MyFitnessPal.com - any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Elaine

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I couldn't drop inches without shredding muscule at about the same BF%. I am 5'6", and first I went to ~ 117 lbs, dropping to ~ 17% BF, but started looking like I excaped concentration camp on my upper body. Then I started heavy lifting and my weight increased to ~ 122 lbs, but was stuck in the 18-20% BF range. Then I 'bulked up' to 132 lbs, winning a few lbs of muscule, but 75% was fat. I stopped my bulk las January, and can't get back to 120 lbs for love or money. I am stuck in the up-down between ~ 123 and 127 lbs, at the same 18-20% BF. I do not count calories, but the last time I counted I did 1,800-2,000 cals.

I do 3 lifting training sessions and 3 HIITs and walk as much as I can. I excluded dairy about a month ago. I eat carb post-workout and do plenty of meat. I do IF for 14-16 hours daily, and started re-introducing Eat.Stop.Eat this week again, because the weight swung up to 127 lbs.

So, if someone discovers the way to get to ~ 15% BF, while not starving, losing muscules and not dropping fruit/berries, I am all ears!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Hi all,

I've been Primal for about a month. I'm 5'6" and about 118 - so I do NOT need to lose more weight. I'm about 20% BF - would like to shred down more without dropping more weight. Do you think I can eat close to my BMR+activity (which is about 2000 calories/day) but if I keep my carbs under 100 I will still continue to drop fat??

TIA!
    Elaine
    Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Elaine, your food choices are as perfect as they get, but I would steer away from eating nuts or nut butter 3 x a day. They are PUFA reach, so you might want to replace it with some sort of meat.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I looked at your day's eating, and I would say that I would tend to eat less shakes and more real food. Generally also, although I allow myself to snack if I want to, I generally stay to 2 meals - you may do better to go back to 3 meals without shakes, but incorporate more food into your meals.

You have what looks like a reasonably high omega 6 profile (nuts, nut milk, nut butter, avocado, peanut butter) - I would check these foods out in nutritiondata or another detailed program to see what your omega 6:3 ratio is. I am pretty sure it must be too high - you should aim for 4:1 or lower.

When I lost inches but not weight, I concentrated on making sure my diet was healing, so making sure I got all the RDA I needed of everything, getting my omega 6 to 3 ratio good, and eating clean, 1 ingredient foods (except the occasional cheat, most commonly 90-99% chocolate). At this time, I figured out what supplements I needed to maintain good health, and I am sure that this helped too. Generally speaking, I looked at what I was getting with what I was eating, and just bumped up what I had to with supplements. Nutritiondata was invaluable with this too, since to gives information on the vitamin and mineral content of everything.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

dado Guest
    you gotta squat!

Nocciola is offline Member
    Hi Elaine,

I am pretty much in the same boat now - 118, 5'6 - still not at the body comp I want to be at. Been lifting, doing HIIT, eating clean, lots of walking...trying to rest a bit more this week because I think I wasn't giving my muscles enough time to heal and hoping that helps the balance. If you find something that works, let me know! I also have the prob of looking emaciated on top but my thighs/legs are strong - I just hang on to body fat more on my thighs and upper arms than anywhere else - even at this weight. I don't know if I should kick up the weights or do more cardio or what - sometimes I get so much conflicting info I don't know what is up or down anymore! I also IF - did my longest fast Sunday to yesterday, between 30-35 hours. I'm waiting to see how the rest of the week plays out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast