Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Leptin Reset page

CMHFFEMT is offline Member

Cool My Leptin Reset

Shop Now
    I am starting this post as a diary of my experiences following Jack Kruse's Leptin Reset protocal. You can find the protocol here : MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION | Jack Kruse

I started originally posting my experiences in in Kymma's Leptin Reset Starts today thread but that thread has gotten incredibly long and I decided I wanted to have my experiences all in one place. Also I didnt want to detract from what is going on in that thread because there is a ton of great information in it. You can find that thread here : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html

At this point I am three weeks into the reset and seeing great results but rather than rewriting everything I posted for the first two weeks I am just going to repost my entries here.

My Week 1 Entry:

Hello Everyone,

I have been a lurker here for quite sometime but this is my first post. I have started doing the reset myself and thought I would record my method and results here so that the next person that comes along has just a little more data for their N=1.

Background: 36 year old male 286 pounds starting weight. I have been low carb but not paleo for a long time and have stopped getting ant weight loss with it just staving off significant weight gain. It seemes on low carb I just gained weight slower than than SAD or traditional diet. I will also admit that with no diet really ever working anymore I would yoyo in and out of low carb a lot. I have supplememented with Omega threes at various levels for 3 plus years.

Currently I just finished my first week of the reset and I am down 12 pounds. It was nice to see such a dramatic move on the scale but I now it was mostly glycogen stores since I started when I came back from a week of vacation where I ate SAD. On the up side energy levels are getting better, the first few days I felt like the walking dead because I gave up caffeine. Sleep has gotten better. Hunger really hasnt been a problem but have had some cravings, mostly for diet soda. On the down side I have had acne breakouts and dry itchy scalp. I had a reaction like this once before when I spiked my Omega 3 intake and kind of flipped out and stopped the spike but now I am thinking that it is probably either hormonal change or getting rid of toxins. Lately my thirst has dramatically increased which Is supposed to be a good sign.

Metodology: I am eating as close to primal as I can. I have switched to grass fed beef and axed the caffeine and artificial sweeteners. I switch back and forth between store bought omega three eggs and pasteured eggs depending upon how many I can get from my pasteured source. I haven't found a good source for pasteured pork but the pork I am using is locally grown so I am betting it is still better than factory pork. I am also always eating it with Omega three or pasteured eggs so hopefully that will keep it somewhat balanced. I am supplementing with .25 Gram per pound omega threes daily, 1 gram magnesium daily, 5000 i.u. Vitamin D daily and a probiotic daily. I plan on getting my 3/6 level checked when the pocket book can absorb it.

My big concern is sleep. I am a Firefighter so when I am on shift sleep is kind of a crap shoot. I am lucky that I am at a station where we sleep through the night quite a bit. I remember when I was younger and worked the busy companies and survived on two or three hours of sleep a night. I wonder how much damage I did to myself doing that. Now I am just focusing on getting good quality sleep at home and going to sleep early at work.

If you have any questions or suggestions please feel free

My week two entry:

Thought I would drop in my second week results. The scale says I have lost another 1.5 lbs but my clothes say there has been a much bigger change in body composition then that. The acne has completely reversed and now my skin is clearer than it has been in some time. Still some itchiness in my scalp but really mild. Energy is increased and sleep is heavier when I can get it. Unfortunately I had 3 nights of bad sleep at work this week but even with that my energy is constant through the day I am not exhausted. Very little hunger and cravings are crazy low. When I started I couldn't wait to be able to add back dairy and now I'm like meh whatever. The biggest thing so far though is I had been waking up with mild pain in my low back for months and in two weeks this completely gone. Very happy with the results so far and can't wait to see what happens next!

And now my current results. I am down another three pounds(YAY!) for a total loss of 17 pounds. Something happened and my energy has shot through the roof. Like I dont ever remember feeling this way. I am sure I did when I was younger but man I sure dont remember it. I have been feeling hot often and get hot and sweaty wtih even the mildest of activity like yesterday I broke a sweet vacuuming. With the swing in energy my sleep has gotten kind of weird though and I am sleeping less. I am finding it a little more difficult to go to sleep and am waking up earlier. Im not concerned about it I am sure that is is just hormones and circadian rhythm's working themselves out.

As I said in the first post If you have any questions or suggestions please add!

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    great! Sounds like you are on your way.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    how did you decide your Omega3 Rate?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Mindy is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for starting this thread. It's helpful to read about your experiences. Two things: my husband associates itchiness/tenderness of the scalp with low T; I take Source Naturals Magnesium Malate b/f bed and it helps me fall asleep.

Good luck with your progress.

@Quelson Robb Wolf recommends .01 to .25 grams per pound if you have a clean diet. I used the whole 9 Calculator Fish Oil Calculator | Whole9 | Let us change your life. . While my diet was variable before I started the reset I had been supplementing with fish oil for a long time so I didnt think I really needed the all banged up dose. It was a starting point and seems to be working. I would like to do some testing and fine tune it but not in the cards right now.

@Mindy I hadnt heard about the scalp and low T thing but thanks for the info. At this point its cleared so If that was the problem I must have got a T bump and theres nothing wrong with that. I have been taking the natural calm magnesium and have been thinking of upping it if the sleeping thing doesn't even out but I am going to give it a few days first to see what happens.
    Last edited by CMHFFEMT; 08-31-2011 at 11:14 AM.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    YIKES
    37g daily? howinell am i supposed to get that let alone get it in?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Awesome, great job! I'm in week 9 of LR. I'm excited to follow your progress!

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    when i post the leptin reset FAQ I and going to add peoples resets in the comments for others to experience. I think it will be amazing. The post is written but I wont upload it until everyone reads the central leptin series......its too important info not to know.

Quelson It is quite a bit. I just figure my dosage and divide it up between my three meals. It helps to get the most concentrated form you can find. I am using the LEF mega EPA/DHA Mega EPA/DHA, 120 softgels To my knowledge it hasnt been vetted through the consumer site even though some of the other LEF stuff has. I ts cheap and definetly appears to be working. So don't consider this an endorsement I am just saying this is what I am doing and it seems to be working. I really cant wait until the cash flow allows me to do some omega 6/3 testing because then I would no for sure.

Doc I think testimonials are a great idea. I have read so much about Paleo that when I came upon your site it made perfect sense to me but I tried to explain it to some of my friends last night and they just couldnt handle it. To far away from CW. The more real life stories you add the more real it becomes.

PrimalCon New York
    Week 4 Update. Well I have to say this was another good week. Scale actually didnt move but I am sure I had an improvement in body comp because I started wearing my belt in a hole I hadn't used before. I have hit all of the LS signs that Dr. K has listed so I am going to begin LHT this week which I am looking forward to. I upped my Magnesium supplementation to 2 grams and started taking it within thirty minutes of going to sleep and my sleep corrected itself. I slept for 9 hours the first night I did this, 8 hours the next and 7.5 hours every night since. I also cut down my Omega three supplementation. I was thinking that about doing this anyway because of some things Dr. K had wrote but then realized I had accidently done it because I was skipping lunch quite a bit and was forgetting to make up for it at breakfast and supper. Anyway I recomputed with the .1 G per pound and am now using that. I did okay with the lunch skipping but have decided I am not quite there yet and am still having a small lunch usually a Fage yogurt and a couple spoons of coconut oil.

I was having those naging concerns because my body comp seemed to be changing but I didnt see movement on the scale. I did some research and my local rec center has a Inbody 230 Body mass analyzer and if you use it on the first tuesday of the month it only cost 5 dollars. I did some research and it correlates 98% with a dexa scan so I decided that was good enough for me. My results were:

Body weight:270.3 (yeah this is up from last week but it was different instruments and it was after my BAB)
    LBM: 165.2
    %BF 38.9
    BMR 1989 kcal

I am happy to no longer be guessing about my LBM and my long term goals. I was really concerned that since I am starting LHT my scale wasnt going to move because I tend to gain muscle rapidly. I am obviously to attached to the scale so I have decided I am getting rid of the scale and am just going to track with the Inbody every four weeks. I really wish I would have done this at the very begining but oh well.

I have also decided that I am going to go ahead and see what my insurance company will cover as far as testing. I wasnt going to worry about it unless I had a problem doing the reset but now I am like why not have the data that way I can already start the tweaking. Plus I want to have the cholestrol data so I can document the change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast