Thread: Bought some eggs from the farmers market.... page

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member

Bought some eggs from the farmers market....

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We had chickens when I was a kid, so I have seen this before on occasion... but not in this quantity. I'm 4 for 4 out of the 20 pack on getting double yolk eggs.. I'm wondering if this farm has short-bus chickens.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Dang! I've never had a double yolk. (Never hit a royal flush either.) My breakfast is exceedingly ordinary -- no mutant chickens in these parts, I guess.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    The farm I get my chickens from has a double yoke producer too. I only hit it about once every 4th dozen or so. She has about 125 laying hens, so unsure if it is one or several of her chickens that do it.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i raised chickens growing up...we saw double yolks at least 2-3 days per week. whenever i come across them now i get oddly excited about it. maybe it's nostalgia...maybe i just love eggs.

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    It's not a bad thing at all, some breeds of chickens have this more often, and its awesome!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    MMMM ITS ALWAYS LIKE an xmas present to find one of those!!!

tom05 is offline Member
    if its a double yoke does it mean its better for you? i could understand its maybe more nutrient dense, but does it mean that the chicken was in a beter environent? the reason i ask is at my local market, they sell double yoke eggs for 2.50€ a dozen, however free range eggs from the same store are double the price. the double yoke eggs always have a very natural appearence, they sometimes have dirt and feathers on them for example. Thoughts?

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    I bought a 4 pack of duck eggs a while back. All four had double yolk. Best two breakfasts of my life.

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    I'm not complaining... I'll stretch these 20 eggs out about a 1/3 longer than I would without the extra yolks.

I'm kind of disappointed in myself for it taking me 9~ months of going to the same farmers market to notice the big @$$ fridge full of eggs and local butter.... I consider myself to be fairly observant. d'oh.