Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bulking a boy . . . page 5

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by h4890 View Post
    As a total outsider, and just ouf of curiosity, who is Hershel Walker and what did he do wrong that others should not follow? Based on a quick image search he sure looks like a fit guy.
    He is an American athlete with exceptional genetics.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by h4890 View Post
    As a total outsider, and just ouf of curiosity, who is Hershel Walker and what did he do wrong that others should not follow? Based on a quick image search he sure looks like a fit guy.

Best regards,
    Dan
    He is a complete genetic freak(in a good way), who was born with an athletic talent so far in excess of anything that 99.9% of the population can achieve that it is staggering. He is widely considered one of the greatest NFL stars ever and also one of the greatest athletes ever. He took up MMA around mid-life and is undefeated. He is still in better shape than 99% of the population as he ages.

What's his diet and exercise like?

He's a vegetarian who eats one meal a day of bread, soup and salad. He eats almost no protein.

He sleeps four hours a night.

He does hours and hours of body-weight exercises every day of his life.

Some people might think if it produces such great results in someone, shouldn't everyone try it? The answer is no. That diet and sleep, let alone exercise would literally kill most people. It's holding him back- just think what he could be on primal and good training. The rules that apply to us don't apply to him. Why? Who knows, but almost certainly genetics. He's a genetic anomaly.

He is also seriously mentally ill.

h4890 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for filling me in js290 and Apex Predator. That truly sounds amazing! I have to read up on him, because those kind of miracles I find very fascinating.

Best regards,
    Dan

celticman is offline Member
    My $.02? If he can't play, be thankful. My youngest son has a permanent click in his neck from his high school playing days, my right knee was operated on twice and my pinkie on my left hand was crushed back over the top of my hand. Luckily, I had a very good surgeon. But what were the injuries for? These kids are encouraged to go out and trash their bodies for what reason?

To add mass? Put him on a routine of BW squats, dips and one-armed DB rows. When he can do 25 BW squats in perfect form, start adding weight slowly. When he can do 20 dips in good form, add weight. But, keep it to 3 - 4 sets per exercise twice per week, sprints twice per week.

But think about encouraging more productive pursuits for mind and body.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    He is a complete genetic freak(in a good way), who was born with an athletic talent so far in excess of anything that 99.9% of the population can achieve that it is staggering. He is widely considered one of the greatest NFL stars ever and also one of the greatest athletes ever. He took up MMA around mid-life and is undefeated. He is still in better shape than 99% of the population as he ages.

What's his diet and exercise like?

He's a vegetarian who eats one meal a day of bread, soup and salad. He eats almost no protein.

He sleeps four hours a night.

He does hours and hours of body-weight exercises every day of his life.

Some people might think if it produces such great results in someone, shouldn't everyone try it? The answer is no. That diet and sleep, let alone exercise would literally kill most people. It's holding him back- just think what he could be on primal and good training. The rules that apply to us don't apply to him. Why? Who knows, but almost certainly genetics. He's a genetic anomaly.

He is also seriously mentally ill.
    No one honestly knows what Walker does. To have a lean, extremely muscular physique like his in his late 40s yet he's clean and only does BW exercises?

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    I haven't really read the whole thread, but wanted to add my two cents.

I was always big growing up, and I liked it. I started late in football because I was so big (mom didn't want me playing with kids 4 years older than me because of weight limits) so as soon as I got into high-school I hit the gym hard trying to bulk up even more. I was benching 300 and squatting 500 as a sophomore in HS. Guess what? I haven't grown an inch since I was a sophomore in HS. Stopped right at 6'1". Everyone thought I was going to be at least 6'4"- 6'5". I can't say for sure doing all that training and lifting stunted my growth, but it sure seems a likely suspect. I would have much rather put on a few more inches and waited to worry about the muscle later.

Basically what I'm saying is: don't mess with a good thing.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Lifting weight doesn't stunt growth. Full stop.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Organic whole milk and lots of it (3+ gallons a week) would do the trick. Beyond the calories and fat milk has amazing (and somewhat scary in some regards) growth promotion effects. Studies apparently liken increased testosterone levels to milk intake which lends itself to more muscle gain.

for a growing boy milk does a body good.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    Organic whole milk and lots of it (3+ gallons a week) would do the trick. Beyond the calories and fat milk has amazing (and somewhat scary in some regards) growth promotion effects. Studies apparently liken increased testosterone levels to milk intake which lends itself to more muscle gain.

for a growing boy milk does a body good.
    I've read it was the increase in insulin, not testosterone, which is related to the resulting weight from consuming milk? Because of the sugars in milk, which are designed to help a calf grow rapidly, there are corresponding rises in insulin which helps those baby cows pack on several hundred pounds in a year's time. As for humans, cow's milk doesn't work quite as efficiently (raw or pasteurized) and helps pack on bodyfat moreso than LBM. One advocate of the raw milk + protein powder diet in the 50s, 60s, Vince Gironda, died of a massive heart attack.

And the proteins in milk have been linked to Type 1 diabetes...in children and even teens, the body "sees" the proteins in milk as 'foreign' and attacks those but also ends up destroying the pancreas as well.

Just my $.02, but, I'd think eggs, meats and a very limited amount of dairy along with vegetables, etc., along with a productive training program is the best bet.

Again, one person's opinion... )

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    The growth promotion effects of milk aren't solely tied to the macro nutrient content/ratio. Many people assume this. Cow milk, more than other protein sources, is a growth (and cancer some reports suggest) promoter owing to the other stuff in it. Robb Wolf talks about this pretty at length in his pod casts.

I would argue (and I think Mark Rippetoe) that there isn't a better post-workout meal for growth (read:strength) promotion than whole milk. Your body needs an insulin spike here - the sugars are used for muscle glycogen, the protein for rebuilding.

HOWEVER It is important to understand that milk is more than the sugars, fat and protein within it. The real draw is the growth promotion effects stemming from the nutrients within it designed to grow huge, strong cows. Yes not humans - but if the goal is to increase mass (and muscle mass) it's a terrific choice while avoiding frankenfood.

if you are exercising fasted, regularly and intensely and consuming milk post workout I don't think you need to worry about getting fat. Leaning out is a different matter but this thread is for adding (muscle) mass.

" the body "sees" the proteins in milk as 'foreign' and attacks those but also ends up destroying the pancreas as well."
    Not everyone has this reaction to dairy (just as with grains). Is it an ideal nutrition source for optimum longevity? No - it is an ideal nutritional source for adding muscle mass in combination with strength training. Let's not forget cruciferous vegetables like broccoli are harmful if consumed "too much" (and probably just about everything else that can be eaten).

As for humans, cow's milk doesn't work quite as efficiently (raw or pasteurized) and helps pack on bodyfat moreso than LBM
    not my experience at all! Though I would never match dairy consumption with a sedentary lifestyle or without specific strength gain goals.
    ad astra per aspera

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast