Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best exercises for the wrists and forearms? page

jpatrickclark is offline Member

Best exercises for the wrists and forearms?

Primal Fuel
    My wrists and forearms are perhaps my weakest point right now. Currently I like to do reverse barbell curls, but are there better exercises I could substitute for this one?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    throw a towel on the bar (to thicken the grip) and do some pulling exercises like deadlifts and pull ups. you can also use something called fatgrips...they'll run you about 30 bucks. working with a thicker grip will increase your grip and forearm strength. farmers walks are also great exercises for that.
    search for a thread started by iniquity about the cambered grip doing pushups...that'll build up wrist and forearm strength too.

primal-dan is offline Member
    It sounds like you have developed a muscle imbalance. Forget targeting your problem areas and stick to big lifts without using straps, gloves or chalk.
    It will suck at first because you'll be doing smaller weights, but stick with it.

In my experience, heavy deadlifts with a plain overhand grip are torture but they gave me wicked strong forearms. As a result my pullups and rows got much better.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    You may find helpful info in the gymnastics bodies forum. See this for some wrist endurance ideas: GymnasticBodies.com • View topic - Wrists endurance
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

jpatrickclark is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal-dan View Post
    It sounds like you have developed a muscle imbalance. Forget targeting your problem areas and stick to big lifts without using straps, gloves or chalk.
    It will suck at first because you'll be doing smaller weights, but stick with it.

In my experience, heavy deadlifts with a plain overhand grip are torture but they gave me wicked strong forearms. As a result my pullups and rows got much better.
    Well, I would agree there is an imbalance, but not much of one. The rest of my muscles aren't that significant. But, I certainly do want to strengthen and thicken my wrists and forearms if possible. I'm not crazy about deadlifts because of the strain I tend to feel in my back. But I haven't done them that often and that's more than likely just a technique issue on my part. Or I've tried using too much weight too soon. I suppose I should add deadlifts to my regular routine though. The more I read the more I'm learning that deadlifts are one of the most recommended exercises along with squats, which I do have included in my regular routine. I would like to do more pullups as well, but at this point, I can only manage 4 or 5 reps at most and for maybe 2 or 3 sets as my muscles aren't quite ready to lift my body weight more than that. Then again, I suppose a little is better than nothing right? Great suggestions from everyone. Thanks.

norak is offline Senior Member
    Pull-ups, chin-ups and heavy rowing/deadlifts also help with grip strength, as others have mentioned. A good way to test your grip is to see how long you can hang on the pull-up bar before you have to let go. (Mark likes to call it the Grok hang.)

If you want something to isolate grip/wrists, the Ironmind Captains of Crush grippers are quite fun:
    Captains of Crush hand grippers and training tools for building hand strength
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    The COC grippers are awesome. Towel pullups are great. How about plate pinching? Making a homemade thick bar? Farmer's Walks and Shrugs. Pullups, Chinups, Deadlifts, Rows, etc.. All good stuff

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Get a wrist roller. Easy to make yourself - take a wooden or metal pole that you can grip with your arms parallel, put a rope through the middle and attach a weight to the other end. Wind up, wind down, keeping your arms straight and using only full wrist flexions to move the weight. They're brilliant.

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    "Finger walks" with a sledgehammer. Grab the end of the hammer shaft with one hand and try to walk your hand down towards the heavy end. It kills my hands and forearms....You can find videos on youtube.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Excellent CoS!!! how did i forget about the sledgehammer? i do the walks and levering stuff all the time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast